• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Introduce yourself

Started by Maher, January 28, 2011, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on January 28, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'm with you and I hope it'll be very soon as I love technology but I can't find enough around me.

Relax -- it'll take some time but sooner or later it'll get there. As an example -- was there even internet in Egypt 10 years ago? Probably not or, if it existed, it was limited to the very few. Exactly the same thing happened here after about 1990, when the government finally gave the network away to the people.

No !!  Don't worry about that. It's OK with me.  8) [asking questions]

Many thanks! Let me ask you one right now. How religious (or secular) is Egypt now? Let me explain. I have never been to the Middle East, but I've talked to friends who have. This was under Sadat and subsequently Mubarak. They explained that Egypt was one of the most secular countries in the Arab world. Sure, religions were respected and everyone was free to practice as they chose, BUT neither the government nor those who practiced tried to impose religious law on anyone. I was told there were bars where you could buy alcoholic beverages, you could dance with women openly, and women could wear bikinis on the beach without fear. Was this true and, if so, has anything changed?

Thanks for giving me trust.  :D
Here, in Egypt, we study English in school from the beginning of learning, and French in only 2 years at high school. I loved English so much and I was very good at it, and that helped me a lot. I have never been outside Egypt. But, I think the main thing that helped after school and loving to learn English is that we study Medicine in complete English <no one Arabic word>, So, this made English more present in my mind.

I think this is great! As you're aware, in the days when the sun never set on the British empire, they spread their language all over the world, and today it is being spread by the American empire. In terms of speakers, English is the 2nd language in the world behind Mandarin Chinese (Spanish, Arabic and Russian follow, in that order). I mentioned the language situation in Israel, but they're by no means the only country. When I visited the Netherlands, everyone spoke English -- and I don't mean high class people with a college education. The cashier at a grocery store, the taxi driver, the guy who sells pizza and the bartender are all fluent in English. If you're trying to learn Dutch, you'll probably have a hard time. I asked a young girl from Finland who was here on a fellowship program if she learned English here. She told me NO, in Finland they teach English in school and learning it is mandatory. Similarly, once I Thailand I took a tour of the Royal Palace. The tours were in either English or the Thai language. The English tour was full of people from all over the world, from Engish-speaking countries there was just me and 2 British guys.

Yes, you are right. My keyboard is like what you mentioned but Arabic characters instead of Chinese. For now, I can't memorize the position of keys like Mr. Maher.
I'm working with a normal English XP, but when installing it, I add Arabic as an additional language just to read and write in Arabic.
- Regarding Windows and applications, I never worked with it in Arabic <Believe or not> I don't understand it when in Arabic or I'm not used with it in Arabic.

My situation is exactly like yours. If I see a Spanish copy of Windows (as I often do in Mexico), I'm almost totally lost. Reading a computer technical manual in Spanish is a little like trying to read it in Arabic :). I remember once when my wife's niece's and her boyfriend visited us here. I let him use him my GPS. The idiot went into it and, without even asking for permission, changed the whole thing to Spanish. I was lost! It took me almost an hour of tinkering to change it back. I was mad, I wanted to kill the guy. >:(

Thanks for everything. More will follow.
Humbert

Ahmad

Hello Humbert. I hope you're well.  :D

Quote from: humb25 on January 29, 2012, 05:22 AM
How religious (or secular) is Egypt now? Let me explain. I have never been to the Middle East, but I've talked to friends who have. This was under Sadat and subsequently Mubarak. They explained that Egypt was one of the most secular countries in the Arab world. Sure, religions were respected and everyone was free to practice as they chose
I don't know about those days. BUT, I think Egypt has become more religious than before. Also, everyone does what he wants. <as long as it's acceptable from people>

BUT neither the government nor those who practiced tried to impose religious law on anyone.
It seems that I was not clear enough in my words. I told you before, nobody here is trying to impose religious law on anyone. You're free to do what you want and the law is being imposed by a committee from all parties representing all people.

I was told there were bars where you could buy alcoholic beverages
Yes, it's still available but it's not common like other stuff. <not like PEPSI or Coffee>. Who wants it knows where to buy it as you know 90% doesn't drink it.

you could dance with women openly, and women could wear bikinis on the beach without fear.
There are special beaches for tourists <and Some Egyptians especially some Actors and actresses>
There, they do what they want.
But, no Egyptian can do that in front of people <Not Acceptable>.
Also there are night clubs. There, they do what they want also.

But, frankly, Every Egyptian does that is known for the other normal people that he is not a good man and can't gain respect. But, he still does what he wants !!
For tourists, people just know that they are as they are. So, no problem with them.

Take care.  :)
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on January 31, 2012, 01:49 PM
I don't know about those days. BUT, I think Egypt has become more religious than before. Also, everyone does what he wants. <as long as it's acceptable from people>
It seems that I was not clear enough in my words. I told you before, nobody here is trying to impose religious law on anyone. You're free to do what you want and the law is being imposed by a committee from all parties representing all people.

That's the important thing. Whether or not the nation or its people become more religious isn't really the issue. The bad part would be the imposition of religious law on people by force, and of course I don't mean just Islam, I mean any religion. Not only is history full of examples of this, but even today I can mention some countries where this happens.

Yes, it's still available but it's not common like other stuff. <not like PEPSI or Coffee>. Who wants it knows where to buy it as you know 90% doesn't drink it.

Makes perfect sense. If the majority of people don't patronize places that do nothing more than serve alcoholic beverages, from a purely economic standpoint what sense does it make to have a bar? Naturally the good thing is that is at least not illegal to buy or consume liquor.

There are special beaches for tourists <and Some Egyptians especially some Actors and actresses>
There, they do what they want.
But, no Egyptian can do that in front of people <Not Acceptable>.
Also there are night clubs. There, they do what they want also.

Here it's common to see women in bikinis at beaches, and when I lived in Miami there was (or is) a highly touristy place called "South Beach". There, women are allowed to go topless on the beach (not outside of it). There is even a small section of a beach further north (about 200 meters) that has been officially designated as a nude beach. However, both the bikinis and nudity are restricted only to the beaches, it's not acceptable anywhere else. In many parts of Western Europe women can legally go topless, but then again in that cold weather, who is going to exercise that right? I'm also glad there are still night clubs in Egypt and people can do as they please, without hurting anyone or violating local laws. I remember once on TV they were showing a dance party is Saudi Arabia -- it was conducted with extreme secrecy and on constant lookout for the Muttawa (religious police).

By the way, you are a Sunni Muslim, correct? Do you pray 5 times a day like Maher does? Generally, how devout are you?

Take care,
Humbert

schr9091

Hi im stan ...i like to fix up older junk...mainly working on windows ce and android for smartbook

Ahmad

Hello dear friend, Humbert !  :)
Sorry for being late, I was busy.

Quote from: humb25 on February 02, 2012, 06:55 AM
Makes perfect sense. If the majority of people don't patronize places that do nothing more than serve alcoholic beverages, from a purely economic standpoint what sense does it make to have a bar? Naturally the good thing is that is at least not illegal to buy or consume liquor.
For now, it's not illegal but as I told you before, in special places and hotels known by who wants it.

I'm also glad there are still night clubs in Egypt and people can do as they please, without hurting anyone or violating local laws.
Frankly, I'm not glad with that. And not only me !!
Here, this is shame and as I told before, it's limited to a special class of people and for that, they can't gain people's respect. <This is against what we have been raised on>
This is what most of us feel towards that. Yet, they can still do it.

This is because if a man is Muslim, then why does he do what Allah ordered him not to do ?!
For this, he can't gain respect.
For non Muslims, they are not blamed and they can do what they want and we have to treat them well (We are ordered with that and we love to do orders with love).

By the way, you are a Sunni Muslim, correct? Do you pray 5 times a day like Maher does?
Yes, All Egyptians are Sunni Muslims.
And yes, we pray 5 times a day like Maher.

Generally, how devout are you?
This is really a big question and I can't know the answer of it.
Every Muslim does what he can do and only Allah knows how devout he is.

Be well safe.
Ahmad Belal.  :D

Hacker_pc

hey guys,hello to everybody.i am muhamed and i am from bosnia ;D.i am just a begginer,but until now i am handeling it ok.i would like to thank u for all u have done...hope my english isnt so bad

Ahmad

@ schr9091
@ Hacker_PC

Hello Stan and Muhammad, and nice to join us.
Good luck and I wish you all the best.  :)

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on February 06, 2012, 04:14 AM
Hello dear friend, Humbert !  :)
Sorry for being late, I was busy.

Relax. I've also been off the site a few days. Just one of those things, I guess.

For now, it's not illegal [alcohol] but as I told you before, in special places and hotels known by who wants it.

I have no problem with that. In the same way that those who don't want it are free not to drink it, those who DO want it have every right to obtain it, provided of course they do not drive or engage in unacceptable behavior.

Frankly, I'm not glad with that. And not only me !! [night clubs]
Here, this is shame and as I told before, it's limited to a special class of people and for that, they can't gain people's respect. <This is against what we have been raised on>
This is what most of us feel towards that. Yet, they can still do it.
This is because if a man is Muslim, then why does he do what Allah ordered him not to do ?!
For this, he can't gain respect.
For non Muslims, they are not blamed and they can do what they want and we have to treat them well (We are ordered with that and we love to do orders with love).

I can understand that you and those who have been raised as faithful Muslims would avoid night clubs entirely. However, it's important to understand that not everyone thinks the same way, and I do not refer to non-Muslims. In a nation of 90 million, I'm willing to bet anything that not all who were raised as Muslims practice the religion faithfully, and this concept is by no means just in Islam. Not all pray 5 times a day and many will drink alcohol in moderation, and like to visit night clubs occasionally. I firmly believe their rights must be respected too, once again provided they do not hurt anyone in the process. In order to have freedom OF religion, you must also have freedom FROM religion.

This is really a big question and I can't know the answer of it.
Every Muslim does what he can do and only Allah knows how devout he is.

I think there's confusion with my use of the word "devout". To me that simply means someone who strongly believes and faithfully practices not just a religion, but any kind of belief system. For example, those people who faced armed soldiers at Tahrir Square are devout Egyptians because they strongly believe in and love their country. Based on everything you've told me, you are clearly a devout Muslim. I, by comparison, am not. I was raised as a strict Catholic but at age 18 I just got fed up and left the religion entirely. Naturally, as you know I respect all beliefs and I'm curious about them, the only thing I have a problem with is the forcible imposition of any beliefs, customs or practices on anyone -- religious, political or whatever.

Be well safe.
Humbert Garcia  :D

Ahmad

Hello dear friend,  :)
Really, I missed you.
First of all, I want you to know that I only tell you about here as it is in my head without any deviation as if I tell my friends here and that's because I trust you and your thinking.

Quote from: humb25 on February 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
I can understand that you and those who have been raised as faithful Muslims would avoid night clubs entirely. However, it's important to understand that not everyone thinks the same way, and I do not refer to non-Muslims. In a nation of 90 million, I'm willing to bet anything that not all who were raised as Muslims practice the religion faithfully, and this concept is by no means just in Islam. Not all pray 5 times a day and many will drink alcohol in moderation, and like to visit night clubs occasionally. I firmly believe their rights must be respected too, once again provided they do not hurt anyone in the process.
I'm totally with you. There are many Muslims do what you've said.
It's my luck that I've been raised in a city that most people are better than me or like me in religion. And what I told you is from what I've seen here.

Regarding their right to do this >>  They can do what they want but believe me, it's in the nature and the instinct of people here that they can't respect who does that like others who don't do that. It's just feelings not illegal in law or something like that.
I don't hate them, but I wish they know as I've known !!  >> To clarify this, Our prophet was hurt by his people when he asked them to worship only Allah and let Idols, however, all he said to Allah praying "Forgive my people, they don't know"

I think there's confusion with my use of the word "devout". To me that simply means someone who strongly believes and faithfully practices not just a religion, but any kind of belief system. For example, those people who faced armed soldiers at Tahrir Square are devout Egyptians because they strongly believe in and love their country. Based on everything you've told me, you are clearly a devout Muslim.
OK, but I want you to know that I have been raised like anyone >> Example, I wasn't praying until 18. And I didn't enter mosque except for Friday.
Now, I'm not perfect. I do a lot of mistakes, but I do my best !!
Most of what I know about my religion is after that from Friday speech.
What I've concluded about our religion is that it's treatment, good manners and asking good for others. >> Our prophet said that "Religion is treatment".
I tell you that to give you a hint about our reactions towards any event.
The society that I live in is almost like me, so it helped a lot.

BTW, I want to clarify something, I can't tell about myself that I'm good in something. If I'm so, that's because of Allah who helped me and I ask him to continue.

the only thing I have a problem with is the forcible imposition of any beliefs, customs or practices on anyone -- religious, political or whatever.
I know, and there isn't and will not be any law which impose anything forcibly.

After all of that, I want you to know something that may make things more clear for you.
Allah has forbidden Alcohol <as an example> gradually, first he said that it's bad and makes you do bad things and then, he said that you don't pray just after drinking until you know what you're saying and finally, he said that if you love Allah, don't drink it. So, graduation is a rule in anything.
And there were people drinking it during the period of our prophet after it has been forbidden and he said about one of them that he loves Allah and his prophet, but he is weak.

So, I want to say that who ordered us <no forcing> is Allah not law. And I think it's pride to obey. It's not shame to prevent yourself from doing a few things that the one who you love ordered you not to do. That's what I believe and I'm not talking about imposing any law.
Another thing you should know, our religion is not trapped in those forbidden things. As I told you before, it has more urgent priorities according to circumstances. So, no one is talking about those things.
That is just information that may make things more clear.

Be well, happy and safe.
:)

humbert

Quote from: Ahmad on February 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
I'm totally with you. There are many Muslims do what you've said.
It's my luck that I've been raised in a city that most people are better than me or like me in religion. And what I told you is from what I've seen here.

Something very important to keep in mind. Nobody is "better" than anyone else, we are all different. Want an example? Einstein was thought to be one of the most brilliant minds that ever existed -- but in history he was a total idiot.

Regarding their right to do this >>  They can do what they want but believe me, it's in the nature and the instinct of people here that they can't respect who does that like others who don't do that. It's just feelings not illegal in law or something like that.
I don't hate them, but I wish they know as I've known !!  >> To clarify this, Our prophet was hurt by his people when he asked them to worship only Allah and let Idols, however, all he said to Allah praying "Forgive my people, they don't know"

I understand it now. It's not so much a religious or legal matter, it's a cultural thing. Now it makes perfect sense. And of course, all the better if it's not written into law. Incidentally, Mohammed's quote was also stated by Jesus (I learned this in school).

OK, but I want you to know that I have been raised like anyone >> Example, I wasn't praying until 18. And I didn't enter mosque except for Friday.
Now, I'm not perfect. I do a lot of mistakes, but I do my best !!
Most of what I know about my religion is after that from Friday speech.
What I've concluded about our religion is that it's treatment, good manners and asking good for others. >> Our prophet said that "Religion is treatment".
I tell you that to give you a hint about our reactions towards any event.
The society that I live in is almost like me, so it helped a lot.
BTW, I want to clarify something, I can't tell about myself that I'm good in something. If I'm so, that's because of Allah who helped me and I ask him to continue.

I am perfectly familiar with the fact that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance. But as the old saying goes "the righteous always pay the sinner's wages". Bad people committing crimes in the name of religion have historically created problems for those who prefer to worship in peace and respect others -- and don't think for a second that this logic applies only to Islam.

I know, and there isn't and will not be any law which impose anything forcibly.

May Allah hear you! It's one thing that something not be culturally acceptable, but when you write it into law, that's bad. If a government can prohibit one thing, what's to stop it from prohibiting more and more things?

So, I want to say that who ordered us <no forcing> is Allah not law. And I think it's pride to obey. It's not shame to prevent yourself from doing a few things that the one who you love ordered you not to do. That's what I believe and I'm not talking about imposing any law.
Another thing you should know, our religion is not trapped in those forbidden things. As I told you before, it has more urgent priorities according to circumstances. So, no one is talking about those things.
That is just information that may make things more clear.

I still believe what Allah meant when He told Muslims to <for example> avoid alcohol, is mostly to avoid that horrendous drunkenness which does nothing more than cause harm to society, family and oneself. I don't think he's be upset if a Muslim had an occasional beer or glass of wine, at all time avoiding negative or damaging behavior.

Take good care,
Humbert