• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Introduce yourself

Started by Maher, January 28, 2011, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowla2004

Hello, I've done this a bit backwards but none-the-less. <Wave> I posted over in the Windows forum first and then finally set up my profile. THEN I decided to check on the other members here. It is a very striking demographic. On a world wide basis the predominate age group here is the 20's...except of course the old man Maher <poke>. Back in my day, 30 was considered "over the hill" but I know our modern society now doesn't classify you OTH until you are 40. Have no idea what that makes me at 60 ROFL! Antique(ish) I suppose. Did see one older than me tho..believe his name is Edvaners @71. Howdy :) glad I'm not alone!

Interesting hypothesis: 1.) The majority of torrent savy individuals are from the younger generation.  2.) The older generation doesn't trust and/or is fearful of the legal/moral aspect of torrents.  3.) The older generation just doesn't know about them or understand them.

Myself: a bit of a rebel, curious, and still want to learn. Many years ago (in 2000 I believe) I tried a few torrent downloads and either didn't install them correctly or they truely were infected -- blue screened my whole computer -- spent many sleepless nights restoring and cursing. I decided it wasn't worth it. Recently I ran across a publication "Torrent Freak" and started following the articles and news. Naturally I felt the rebel begin to really resurface as this was just one more insult heaped onto the numerous insults/censorship/controls we have all been increasingly subjected to in the last decade.  I'm determined to learn as much as I can and "share" as much as I can. Hopefully, I will learn alot from the quite knowledgeable people here.

Thank you Maher for your work in bring this together and providing such clean torrents. You set the standard that I hope everyone will aspire to (I'm sure that isn't likely as there are just mean people out there) but the tools are at least available now  to check files better....and I've learned alot about backups!!!

I need some direction atm. I wish to install Windows 7 64bit but have many programs for 32bit only. I believe I can partition my drive and have both but need to check on that. If someone would point me to the correct forum to begin searching or discussing I would certainly appreciate it.

Enough said for now. Glad to be here and thanks :)
I believe I suffer from a chronological dyslexia which makes it very difficult for me to place discrete events accurately on a linear time-line. --- That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ! :')

BLADESHARK

Quote from: lowla2004 on August 02, 2012, 10:03 AM
I wish to install Windows 7 64bit
http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=514.0

but have many programs for 32bit only.
Don't worry 32 Bit programs work on 64 Bits. After installing 64 bit OS you will notice in your System driver that you have 2 Program Files folders -> Program Files & Program Files (x86)
Your 64 bit programs will install in Program Files & 32 bit programs will install in Program Files (x86).

Any more queries are greatly appreciated. :D
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

Daniil

@ edvaness
Welcome to our forum, sir! It's good to see you here!

@ cjs0_0
Welcome, comrade! I think you can find help with you laptop here on forum!

@ lowla2004
Welcome to our forum, lady. I use Win7 x64 for about two and a half years, but there was just a bit problems with x32 software. Btw, it'll be better to talk about this somewhere here, on "Programs" subboard.

humbert

Hello, I've done this a bit backwards but none-the-less. <Wave> I posted over in the Windows forum first and then finally set up my profile. THEN I decided to check on the other members here. It is a very striking demographic. On a world wide basis the predominate age group here is the 20's...except of course the old man Maher <poke>. Back in my day, 30 was considered "over the hill" but I know our modern society now doesn't classify you OTH until you are 40. Have no idea what that makes me at 60 ROFL! Antique(ish) I suppose. Did see one older than me tho..believe his name is Edvaners @71. Howdy :) glad I'm not alone!

Hello lowla. I join my colleagues here in welcoming you to our world. Something tells me you're going to learn an awful lot from us, and naturally we'll learn from you.

One of the things that makes us great is our diversity. We represent many cultures, beliefs and nationalities, and yet we are one. Chronological age means absolutely nothing to us. We are minds first and foremost. Chronologically I'm over 50, but mentally I'm as young and anyone else -- and I refuse to grow old! We all know that learning is a lifelong quest, and accordingly we endeavour to learn from each other and pass that knowledge on to all who are interested. Feel free to ask any question you have on your mind, even if it's not computer related.

Interesting hypothesis: 1.) The majority of torrent savy individuals are from the younger generation.  2.) The older generation doesn't trust and/or is fearful of the legal/moral aspect of torrents.  3.) The older generation just doesn't know about them or understand them.

Many people to whom you refer are fearful simply because they are unaware of the facts. Indeed, ignorance is the engine behind fear. The vast majority of torrents you pick up, pirated or otherwise, aren't dangerous. Also, never for a second think the powers that be don't know about sites such as the Pirate Bay. They know all about them and they know that trying to stop this is is basically futile - they don't have enough jails to house all of us. Their only hope is that instilling fear will put a dent in their efforts, but if you're armed with the fact, you'll see their arguments are laughable. Have you checked out the Pirate Bay? If not, do so - you don't even need an account to see what's on there or leech anything. BTW, if you leech, seed and share  :).

Myself: a bit of a rebel, curious, and still want to learn. Many years ago (in 2000 I believe) I tried a few torrent downloads and either didn't install them correctly or they truely were infected -- blue screened my whole computer -- spent many sleepless nights restoring and cursing. I decided it wasn't worth it. Recently I ran across a publication "Torrent Freak" and started following the articles and news. Naturally I felt the rebel begin to really resurface as this was just one more insult heaped onto the numerous insults/censorship/controls we have all been increasingly subjected to in the last decade.  I'm determined to learn as much as I can and "share" as much as I can. Hopefully, I will learn alot from the quite knowledgeable people here.

The fact that you were wise enough to educate yourself as opposed as opposed to just giving up says and awful lot about you. I need not tell you it's important to learn from your mistakes as opposed to cursing. We are all here to educate you further. I'm not sure what you mean concerning "insults/censorship/controls" or whether it simply means you've been hanging around with the wrong crowd. Rest assured there'll be none of that here. I suppose one of the few rules the chief has imposed is the use of English or, if another language is used, to post a translation. This rule makes perfect sense given the fact that we're all from different cultures and must have a link language if we're to communicate. We all know that English is the de facto link language of the world.

Thank you Maher for your work in bring this together and providing such clean torrents. You set the standard that I hope everyone will aspire to (I'm sure that isn't likely as there are just mean people out there) but the tools are at least available now  to check files better....and I've learned alot about backups!!!

Our chief (as I affectionately call him) is truly a fine man and, although we've never met him personally, I'm honored to consider him my personal friend and, yes, my brother. However, rest assured he's not the only source of clean torrents. On TPB you'll notice that beside some uploaders there's a skull-and-crossbone symbol. Mouse over that and you'll see it means "trusted uploader". Also, before you leech anything click on the file and read the reviews. If something's not right - you'll know.

I need some direction atm. I wish to install Windows 7 64bit but have many programs for 32bit only. I believe I can partition my drive and have both but need to check on that. If someone would point me to the correct forum to begin searching or discussing I would certainly appreciate it.
Enough said for now. Glad to be here and thanks :)

Our friend Bladeshark explained the deal with the 32bit proggies, so you should be OK. There is absolutely no question that 64bit computing will supplant 32bit in the coming years, which is why I strongly suggest 64bit if your computer supports it. Will you be needing an activator? If so, I posted a link for my favorite, w7xle. This thing activates both Office 2010 and Windows 7, and it's never failed. Here some people have downloaded it - so far no complaints.

I'm glad you're here. Something tells me you're going to be an asset to us, and we welcome you to our little family. ;)

PS: Before I forget, a question I ask everyone out of simple curiosity - where do you live (city and country)? A response is by no means mandatory, it's just so that we'll all know what part of this planet you represent.  :)  Also, if it's a small city no need to tell us where it's located, we can just open Google Maps on another tab and find it immediately.

Odlanyer22

Hello everyone!
I am Reynaldo, 20 yrs old., SINGLE (Any available out there? LOL)
Well I'm from Philippines.
I am a Civil Engineering student but I dont know, a bit of my interest was into the cyberworld.
(Softwares, applications, codes, etc.)

Bonus:
EN: How are you?
PH: Kamusta ka?

;)

Mabuhay!
Learning Is Continuous Process . . . ;)

Daniil

@ Odlanyer22
Welcome to our community, comrade! Nice to see you here!  ;D

Odlanyer22

;D

Thanks bud! Hope this site would be more colorful soon.
Not that literal.
Learning Is Continuous Process . . . ;)

Daniil

I think that our forum is already colorful. Chat here for a while, and you'll see it yourself.  :)  Feel yourself like at home, friend.  :)

And, btw, are you a bot? Sorry for my suspicious question, but it looks strange for me, you are logged here for a long time, and it's deep night on Philippines now, and your messages with equal periods of time between them... Tell me please, how many of 0,5-liter-bottles of 4% alc. beer is equal to "stopka" (50 grams) of vodka by efficiency?  :) ;)

The Nawab

Yo Guys! I'm My Username And From Saudi Arabia!
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

There Is No God But Allah And Muhammad Is The Messenger Of Allah

humbert

Quote from: The Nawab on August 04, 2012, 08:24 PM
Yo Guys! I'm My Username And From Saudi Arabia!

I was hoping a Saudi would join our group. Would you take a few non-personal questions from me?