• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What I hate about usb flash drives!

Started by aa1234779, February 22, 2013, 03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aa1234779

Why did the evil manufacturers leave this feature out of USB drives since there introduction to the market in 2000?

The pic says it all:

>:(

p.s. I was reading through another thread on reasons people avoid installing OS' from usb drives, and I agree with those who choose dvds over usb drives for the above reason.

BUT WHY!!!

It would have made usb drives the king of all storage media!

Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

Daniil

Thanks for links, comrade. Never saw such flashdrives before. It'd be usefull in my job.

humbert

Here's my 2 cent's worth.

I started getting into flashdrives when my friend Ahmad explained how he boots his computer from them, prior to this I didn't use them. I don't know why people have such a love affair with Sandisk. The ones I have are slow, and the 4 GB Sandisk Cruiser Switch that comes in a colorful plastic case is literally slower than a DVD. By comparison, they were selling a PNY Attaché model P-FD4GB/Mini GE which I bought. This thing is an absolute rocket! I use it to boot Hirens CD Restored 15.2 (Proteus' version) which has everything you'd ever want, and the line goes across the screen so fast it's as if booting from a SSD. My other 8, 16 and 32 GB Sandisks don't even come close.

Oh, one more thing. My board now supports USB 3.0, so I bought a USB 3.0 flashdrive for Hirens. It failed. Why? Another reason to abandon Win XP -- it's so old it doesn't know anything about USB 3.0, not even with drivers. This is, of course, unless they do exist and mini-XP on Hirens doesn't have them.

You know - I wish some programmer somewhere would write a program that could take any bootable ISO and burn it to flashdrive the same way Burnaware does for CD's or DVD's.

aa1234779

Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)

aa1234779

Quote from: humbert on February 23, 2013, 06:16 AM
You know - I wish some programmer somewhere would write a program that could take any bootable ISO and burn it to flashdrive the same way Burnaware does for CD's or DVD's.

I suppose you mean making a flashdrive -ROM- read-only memory.. which is the same point I'm making..

If a "Make Bootable USB" utility is used to make a bootable iso image iton a flashdrive, then turn "copy-protection switch" ON, that would do exactly what u suggest. Even better, turn off copy-protection, format your flashdrive, and you could have your flashdrive back to do whatever else you might want it for.

Hud (11)

scarface

real boot from iso doesnt exist according to my knowledge. You still have to extract the iso and use extra files to make the key bootable. keys with write protection are not common. I dont think they are available amongst retailers.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on February 24, 2013, 02:41 AM
real boot from iso doesnt exist according to my knowledge. You still have to extract the iso and use extra files to make the key bootable. keys with write protection are not common. I dont think they are available amongst retailers.

I know this is what they're doing with flashdrives now. However, if you look at an ISO file with a program such a PowerIso, it will tell you if the ISO is bootable or not. Clearly this indicates there's something in it which will cause it to boot if burned to DVD. What I was wondering if some day some programmer out there can take advantage of this and use if for a flashdrive as if it were a DVD.

Daniil

Use Grub4DOS, comrades!
It allows to boot any operation system from HDD, CD, USB stick, ISO-image as well, in fact any bootable data storage, and allows to build any multi-boot config from flash, from HDD, from 3,5 inch diskette, from CD/DVD, well, you name it.

Original Grub4DOS project, exists here (It's without any manuals, don't know the reasons why).
Russian Grub4DOS fork home page (GreenFlash project) is here.
Download latest Grub4DOS version you can from here.
English manual (translated from Russian) you can find here.

It's not simple, but... We all are professionals, so, smoke manuals and you can do it.

Ahmad

@Daniil

Thanks a lot for the manual.
I was looking for such thing.
:)
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.