Author Topic: "We will bury you!!!" Elbrus4 - new russian CPU for desktops.  (Read 13897 times)

December 17, 2015, 09:38 AM
Reply #20
  • Global Moderator
Just now, I saw its specs and pricing is competitive. 250GFLOPS on CPU is incredible and I'd pay anything for getting that and also TDP <100W which is more future proof system but its sole purpose is for very intense file server or a compute server.  i'd go with fury x since it has more compute power.

I don't understand something. This thing has a clock speed of 800Mhz. My Core i7-4790 does 4 Ghz. I realize clock speed alone isn't everything, but at the same time I have a hard time believing this thing goes more than 4 times per cycle more than the i7-4790.

I should also mention it uses DDR3 memory. The DDR4 specification is already out, only for high end machines.

I have 24 Gb of memory on my system. This is because I like using large ramdisks where I can put all my temporary files. It's also the place for cookies, history and other gargage. The beauty of it is when I turn the PC off it all disappears. Another benefit is I run my system with no swap file at all.
I guess 800MHz is more than enough for a server, since it utilizes terminal windows rather than GUI. Moreover, Linux requires less resources than Windows. I think Daniil can provide more insight to your problem.

December 18, 2015, 09:34 PM
Reply #21
  • Global Moderator
I guess 800MHz is more than enough for a server, since it utilizes terminal windows rather than GUI. Moreover, Linux requires less resources than Windows. I think Daniil can provide more insight to your problem.

I was under the impression servers required a great amount of power. Then again I suppose that depends on the server's workload.

My question concerned 250Gflops on an 800 Mhz processor. My Core 17-4790K does 43.15 Glops and has a clock speed of 4.0 gHz. Either this doesn't make sense or this processor does plenty of calculations per clock cycle. In fact, if you're looking for 800 mHz then get a Raspberry Pi.

December 25, 2015, 04:17 AM
Reply #22
  • Global Moderator

I was under the impression servers required a great amount of power. Then again I suppose that depends on the server's workload.

In fact, if you're looking for 800 mHz then get a Raspberry Pi.
If I was proficient in designing and making my own electronics such that devices will pop out from thin air and comes in hand and would like that very much.