• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Internet Download Manager 6.28 Build 16

Started by Maher, May 26, 2013, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 08, 2017, 03:30 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 06, 2017, 08:57 PM
I don't use IDM, just using DTA addon on firefox.

I've played around with DTA on Firefox for Linux because there is no IDM for Linux. Unless I'm doing something wrong it's nowhere near as good as IDM.
Download speed depends on your ISP provided plans, right? For me, its constantly 1.1-1.3MB/s.

covo

Quote from: humbert on June 06, 2017, 05:08 AM

If you're experiencing that problem check out the copy on this site. It installs a weird patch but gets rid of the problem.

it works perfectly. THX :)

MikeTheBoy

Quote from: covo on June 08, 2017, 10:22 PM
Quote from: humbert on June 06, 2017, 05:08 AM

If you're experiencing that problem check out the copy on this site. It installs a weird patch but gets rid of the problem.

it works perfectly. THX :)

That site/download just gave me loads of malware, browser hijackers and trojans! STAY AWAY!

YeaDesktop
DriverEasy
mgdisk
Maoha
AvBoost
msiql.exe

...Google them - all sorts of crap.

I don't know how humbert could recommend that site unless something has seriously changed there.

humbert

I got that URL from the text file that came with the IDM torrent I downloaded. I made the mistake of posting that site without realizing what scumbags these guys really are. I should have checked first. My apologies.  :(

What does work is the patch that came with the torrent. It installs some sort of patch. This by itself is suspicious. Despite that I do know it works and that anti-malware programs report no anomalies. If you find another crack or patch that works and doesn't involve this sort of thing, please let us know.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 17, 2017, 04:16 AM
I got that URL from the text file that came with the IDM torrent I downloaded. I made the mistake of posting that site without realizing what scumbags these guys really are. I should have checked first. My apologies.  :(

What does work is the patch that came with the torrent. It installs some sort of patch. This by itself is suspicious. Despite that I do know it works and that anti-malware programs report no anomalies. If you find another crack or patch that works and doesn't involve this sort of thing, please let us know.
@humbert: Can you upload that exe file to Virus Total and report if its suspicious or not? We don't want people to get infected by untrustworthy patchers.

Ily

MikeTheBoy

OK, thanks for the info. It took me about 7 hours to remove all the garbage - stuff in the Task Scheduler, browser shortcuts all modified, stuff in AppData\Roaming and Program Files, plus all the Registry entries.

I did take the precaution of making a Restore Point but, surprise, surprise, it failed. They used to work on XP!

SFC\scannow reports all OK.

Before I try again I'll make a System Image. My bad for not doing that this time.

MikeTheBoy

Quote from: Vasudev on June 17, 2017, 08:43 AM

@humbert: Can you upload that exe file to Virus Total and report if its suspicious or not? We don't want people to get infected by untrustworthy patchers.

@humbert: Can you upload the patch to WeTransfer.com (preferably with MD5 or SHA hash)? Would be safer than relying on another site that may be untrustworthy. 

Even though it expires after a short time, others can re-upload.

humbert

The patch created a new idman.exe file, which is supposed to overwrite the real one. The new file is clean - I uploaded it to Virustotal and there is not a single malware detection. It works great and there are no more "fake serial" annoyances.

The patch does install something, although I'm not sure exactly what. Uninstalling it will immediately bring back the fake serial annoyance even if you don't touch idman.exe. Of course I could send you my copy of that file, but according to my tests without the patch it's useless. I see no reason to be afraid of the patch. Neither Malwarebytes nor Windows Defender have brought up a red flag and my system runs perfectly. I'd love not having to install this patch, but so far it's the only thing that actually works.

Copies of this and all other copies of IDM can be found on your favorite torrent site.

If you're into testing stuff and/or want to play it real safe, I recommend installing VirtualBox and running an old copy of Windows under a virtual machine. You can safely test anything because the VM runs in a sandbox. If the VM gets destroyed by malware, no problem - simply restore the most recent snapshot and the test you conducted never happened. This is what I do and it's great, I'll walk you though it if you want.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 18, 2017, 04:51 AM
The patch created a new idman.exe file, which is supposed to overwrite the real one. The new file is clean - I uploaded it to Virustotal and there is not a single malware detection. It works great and there are no more "fake serial" annoyances.

The patch does install something, although I'm not sure exactly what. Uninstalling it will immediately bring back the fake serial annoyance even if you don't touch idman.exe. Of course I could send you my copy of that file, but according to my tests without the patch it's useless. I see no reason to be afraid of the patch. Neither Malwarebytes nor Windows Defender have brought up a red flag and my system runs perfectly. I'd love not having to install this patch, but so far it's the only thing that actually works.

Copies of this and all other copies of IDM can be found on your favorite torrent site.

If you're into testing stuff and/or want to play it real safe, I recommend installing VirtualBox and running an old copy of Windows under a virtual machine. You can safely test anything because the VM runs in a sandbox. If the VM gets destroyed by malware, no problem - simply restore the most recent snapshot and the test you conducted never happened. This is what I do and it's great, I'll walk you though it if you want.
@humbert and @MikeTheBoy
Try running Adwcleaner.