Author Topic: (New) Testing Anti Virus Suites  (Read 17579 times)

May 04, 2017, 09:50 PM
Reply #50
  • Global Moderator
That makes it hard for malwares to bypass it. If you browse malwaretips.com you need hell lot of info about viruses such as access to their source code etc..

Assuming this is true, then with so many antivirus programs out there, are you willing to shell out money to pay for this? Not me!

May 12, 2017, 07:22 PM
Reply #51
  • Global Moderator
Last night I got fed up, removed Avast and re-enabled Windows Defender. Why? Too many false positives. Also, Avast is supposedly freeware. Actually it's nagware. It nags and constantly reminds you your computer is unsafe unless you pay them money. As I see it, freeware is freeware - no nags nor is anything crippled. Everything else is either crippleware or nagware, and I hate them both with a passion.

I guess the only other real good antivirus-antimalware program I've been running is Malwarebytes 2.21.1043. They "upgraded" it, added all kinds of "features" and in the process turned a good program into a bad one.

I'd say with these 2 programs (especially Avast) I average probably 25 false positives for 1 real detection. From now on if I download a suspicious program, I'll simply upload it to virustotal.com and check it out that way.

May 13, 2017, 09:18 AM
Reply #52
  • Global Moderator
Last night I got fed up, removed Avast and re-enabled Windows Defender. Why? Too many false positives. Also, Avast is supposedly freeware. Actually it's nagware. It nags and constantly reminds you your computer is unsafe unless you pay them money. As I see it, freeware is freeware - no nags nor is anything crippled. Everything else is either crippleware or nagware, and I hate them both with a passion.

I guess the only other real good antivirus-antimalware program I've been running is Malwarebytes 2.21.1043. They "upgraded" it, added all kinds of "features" and in the process turned a good program into a bad one.

I'd say with these 2 programs (especially Avast) I average probably 25 false positives for 1 real detection. From now on if I download a suspicious program, I'll simply upload it to virustotal.com and check it out that way.
If you are on W10, use defender, I'm using the same and so far its good. No nags and stuffs. Head over to Majorgeeks to download MBAM 2.x, I didn't like MBAM 3.x, still using 2.x.

May 20, 2017, 06:54 PM
Reply #53
  • Global Moderator
If you are on W10, use defender, I'm using the same and so far its good. No nags and stuffs. Head over to Majorgeeks to download MBAM 2.x, I didn't like MBAM 3.x, still using 2.x.

MBAM 2.xx is awesome. I'm not sure if you can tell it to continue downloading virus definitions WITHOUT forcibly upgrading the program. One thing I hate is when these developers add "features" to a great program and end up breaking it.

May 21, 2017, 10:26 AM
Reply #54
  • Global Moderator

MBAM 2.xx is awesome. I'm not sure if you can tell it to continue downloading virus definitions WITHOUT forcibly upgrading the program. One thing I hate is when these developers add "features" to a great program and end up breaking it.
Yes 99% rather than enhancing the app, they break the app like MSFT.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:28 AM by Vasudev »