• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

MultiBoot / SingleBoot USB Creation

Started by usmangujjar, October 06, 2013, 09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 21, 2017, 10:36 AM
Which is your intel CPu and nvidia gpu?

This is a Core i7-4790K. Video card is a GTX-970 with a GM-204 CPU (according to Aida64). I just ran a test with Parted Magic, which is based on Linux. Once again same problem - if left to its own devices it'll crash on bootup. The only remedy is to hit Tab on bootup and insert "nomodeset" (followed by Ctrl-X) as an additional bootup parameter. Then it'll boot with straight VGA, i.e., no video driver at all. This happens with anything Linux. The only solution is to bootup with nomodeset after installation and use apt-get to install Nvidia drivers. After they're installed the problem disappears.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 22, 2017, 05:54 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 21, 2017, 10:36 AM
Which is your intel CPu and nvidia gpu?

This is a Core i7-4790K. Video card is a GTX-970 with a GM-204 CPU (according to Aida64). I just ran a test with Parted Magic, which is based on Linux. Once again same problem - if left to its own devices it'll crash on bootup. The only remedy is to hit Tab on bootup and insert "nomodeset" (followed by Ctrl-X) as an additional bootup parameter. Then it'll boot with straight VGA, i.e., no video driver at all. This happens with anything Linux. The only solution is to bootup with nomodeset after installation and use apt-get to install Nvidia drivers. After they're installed the problem disappears.
Try this method, temporarily plug your monitor to onboard motherboard while installing Linux. Apply the microcode and vaapi gpu acc. for intel followed by a reboot. Install Proprietary nvidia drivers, blacklist nouveau and plug the monitor to 970's HDMI/DP.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 22, 2017, 10:00 AM
Try this method, temporarily plug your monitor to onboard motherboard while installing Linux. Apply the microcode and vaapi gpu acc. for intel followed by a reboot. Install Proprietary nvidia drivers, blacklist nouveau and plug the monitor to 970's HDMI/DPI

As far as I know you can't install proprietary drivers on a flashdrive or DVD you're using for bootup as a live CD. Propietary drivers can only be installed on a fully installed distro using apt-get. If the idea were to fully install and use a Linux distro, using nomodeset would be just a minor nuisance which can be resolved after installation. The problem I refer to is precisely when using a live CD such as Parted Magic, or for that matter using any distro would full installation. Even if indeed you could skip using nomodeset by swapping out the cable, in all honesty I don't know if it's even worth while.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 26, 2017, 07:09 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 22, 2017, 10:00 AM
Try this method, temporarily plug your monitor to onboard motherboard while installing Linux. Apply the microcode and vaapi gpu acc. for intel followed by a reboot. Install Proprietary nvidia drivers, blacklist nouveau and plug the monitor to 970's HDMI/DPI

As far as I know you can't install proprietary drivers on a flashdrive or DVD you're using for bootup as a live CD. Propietary drivers can only be installed on a fully installed distro using apt-get. If the idea were to fully install and use a Linux distro, using nomodeset would be just a minor nuisance which can be resolved after installation. The problem I refer to is precisely when using a live CD such as Parted Magic, or for that matter using any distro would full installation. Even if indeed you could skip using nomodeset by swapping out the cable, in all honesty I don't know if it's even worth while.
I stopped using Parted Magic and switched to Boot Repair x64.
What I suggested was not software workaround.
All 3rd party drivers must be installed using apt get install commands.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on December 26, 2017, 03:18 PM

Exactly my point! Live CD's can't be booted unless the nomoset parameter is used, and of course apt-get installs are possible for installed Linux distros only.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 04, 2018, 06:06 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on December 26, 2017, 03:18 PM

Exactly my point! Live CD's can't be booted unless the nomoset parameter is used, and of course apt-get installs are possible for installed Linux distros only.
I checked my grub.cfg and indeed I added nomodeset along with quiet and splash.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on January 04, 2018, 07:16 AM

How do you alter grub.cfg on a live CD?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on January 05, 2018, 06:25 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on January 04, 2018, 07:16 AM

How do you alter grub.cfg on a live CD?
Its as you said, pressing down arrow key whilst booting Linux and select nomodeset option.
I checked grub.cfg on my PC with Linux already installed.