• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 30, 2017, 12:32 PM
Try this link http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/cpumcupdate2-1-vmware_updater_newerucodes-zip.147548/

Thanks. Before applying the patch let me ask -- is it a simple matter of double-clicking install.bat under Windows? The title says "VMware". Do you have to use VMware or what?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 31, 2017, 07:01 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 30, 2017, 12:32 PM
Try this link http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/cpumcupdate2-1-vmware_updater_newerucodes-zip.147548/

Thanks. Before applying the patch let me ask -- is it a simple matter of double-clicking install.bat under Windows? The title says "VMware". Do you have to use VMware or what?
CPU microcode patcher is made by VMware for patching microcodes for guest OS.  You need to right click install.bat and click on Run as admin.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 31, 2017, 07:13 AM
CPU microcode patcher is made by VMware for patching microcodes for guest OS.  You need to right click install.bat and click on Run as admin.

I assumed you didn't need VMware so I just ran the batch file. It said  "Install completed with code 0.  If no error was displayed then the install was successful. Press any key to continue . . ."  -- I'm assuming it's OK. What diagnostics program do you use to confirm the microcode is indeed installed?

Veddyn

QuoteI looked at the article. First of all, I am no fan of Windows. The problem is there's nothing else. If it were up to me I'd run a distro of Linux as my primary OS. Unfortunately the lack of support makes this impossible. Add to this the fact that Linux is nowhere near as configurable or as hackable as Windows, not even close.
So, I can make linux fully automated as opposed to windows, and yet windows is not even close as configurable or hackable? You don't need to hack it, You already have access to everything via root, as opposed to windows where in order to get TrustedInstaller permissions (root equivalent) you need to dig very deep.

QuoteWindows 10 is not a "service". It's a highly configurable, very hackable OS. Telemetry, automatic updates and anything else you don't like can be disabled through one of the many apps out there. My favorite is "W10Privacy" but there are many more. Similarly, you can uninstall most metro apps and you can all but disable those that can't be uninstalled. It is not "poorly optimized" - I've been running it for months and it runs like a champ. It's easily the best OS that MS has come up with once it's properly configured.
Disabling them will not actually disable them. They still run in the background and send data --microsoft made sure of that. And the thing here is that metro apps are very slow, all web apps are, but this is an OS not a web app. They really screwed windows here. An OS should be fast, not glossy and cute.

You're going to stay with Windows 8.1 (or older) forever? Forget it! Upgrades are an inevitable fact of life. In a few years DX11 will be ancient history. Similarly, we'll all be using Ryzens or Core i9's. Microsoft has already decided that only Windows 10 will be optimized to take full advantage of what these new processors can do. Older versions can still run on them, but not at full potential. They'd be essentially crippled. You can delay but not totally avoid upgrades. It you could hold on to an OS you like forever, today there would be many people still running MS-Dos on a command line -- if you're old enough to know what I'm even talking about.
Well, technically, I use the original Windows 8.1 (not the 8.1 Update 3 released in 2014) and has never been updated. Never felt the need to do so.
Of course I know MS-DOS. I use it everyday in my support tasks. We have some really old machines here that relay on 98 and XP. Use 7.10, one MS's best DOS that thay never released.

One more thing. Why would anyone in their right mind be opposed to constantly updating the OS, or any other program? Most of these updates are security patches anyway. There might be a bad update every now and then, but this is the exception and not the rule. The only reason I can think of why anyone would want more control over updating is due to bad internet service. Other than that not upgrading is just plain ridiculous.
Because updates delivered via microsoft always screws up your computer and takes a lot more space. Compare the sizes of an installation of Windows 7 RTM (with SP1 installed manually) and Windows 7 SP1 DVD already included. See the space difference. Every sice XP, updates always screwed the OS. They cause endless boot loops, take up space, sometimes destablizes the OS.

You obviously have no experience with this type of thing so...

humbert

Quote from: Veddyn on July 31, 2017, 09:37 PM
So, I can make linux fully automated as opposed to windows, and yet windows is not even close as configurable or hackable? You don't need to hack it, You already have access to everything via root, as opposed to windows where in order to get TrustedInstaller permissions (root equivalent) you need to dig very deep.

Them nobody on the planet is "digging very deep". I haven't been able to find Linux hacks anywhere, whereas for Windows they're everywhere. Let's start with the hated password prompt. I found a way to eliminate from the sudo command, but not much more. To update the OS, install and uninstall software, etc.. it's still required - and I have yet to find a way to totally eliminate it. I'm not the only one complaining. Windows hacks, by comparison can be found everywhere.

Disabling them will not actually disable them. They still run in the background and send data --microsoft made sure of that. And the thing here is that metro apps are very slow, all web apps are, but this is an OS not a web app. They really screwed windows here. An OS should be fast, not glossy and cute.

For this you have to use an app such as W10Privacy. Disabling updates is on there as an option. Our friend Vasudev explained that since his internet connection is unreliable, he disabled automatic updates and installs them manually whenever he gets a chance to do that. With respect to metro apps, you don't have to use them at all. The only one I still have are the calculator, alarms & clocks and the Windows store app. I only use the calculator, the other 2 I haven't removed them just in case.

Of course I know MS-DOS. I use it everyday in my support tasks. We have some really old machines here that relay on 98 and XP. Use 7.10, one MS's best DOS that thay never released.

Are you guy so broke you're still using 25 year old computers and can't upgrade them? What programs are you running?

Because updates delivered via microsoft always screws up your computer and takes a lot more space. Compare the sizes of an installation of Windows 7 RTM (with SP1 installed manually) and Windows 7 SP1 DVD already included. See the space difference. Every sice XP, updates always screwed the OS. They cause endless boot loops, take up space, sometimes destablizes the OS.

Hard drives today are measured in terabytes. Even 128GB SSD's are almost totally gone and can be had for maybe $50. The Windows OS will at the very most take up 20GB. Are you filling your HD's with uncompressed 4K videos or what? Also, updates DO NOT cause screw-ups or endless bootloops. I know because I run Windows 10 on my 3 computers and it runs like a champ, and I have plenty of hard drive space left over.

Someone who is still running MS-Dos, refuses to update his OS's, and can't get his copy of Windows 10 to work correctly is telling me I have no experience. Yeah, right...

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 31, 2017, 09:27 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 31, 2017, 07:13 AM

I assumed you didn't need VMware so I just ran the batch file. It said  "Install completed with code 0.  If no error was displayed then the install was successful. Press any key to continue . . ."  -- I'm assuming it's OK. What diagnostics program do you use to confirm the microcode is indeed installed?
Use HWINFO's summary page or click on CPU under main page of HWINFO, you will see Microcode Revision.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 01, 2017, 07:39 PM

Them nobody on the planet is "digging very deep". I haven't been able to find Linux hacks anywhere, whereas for Windows they're everywhere. Let's start with the hated password prompt. I found a way to eliminate from the sudo command, but not much more. To update the OS, install and uninstall software, etc.. it's still required - and I have yet to find a way to totally eliminate it. I'm not the only one complaining. Windows hacks, by comparison can be found everywhere.

For this you have to use an app such as W10Privacy. Disabling updates is on there as an option. Our friend Vasudev explained that since his internet connection is unreliable, he disabled automatic updates and installs them manually whenever he gets a chance to do that. With respect to metro apps, you don't have to use them at all. The only one I still have are the calculator, alarms & clocks and the Windows store app. I only use the calculator, the other 2 I haven't removed them just in case.

Are you guy so broke you're still using 25 year old computers and can't upgrade them? What programs are you running?

Hard drives today are measured in terabytes. Even 128GB SSD's are almost totally gone and can be had for maybe $50. The Windows OS will at the very most take up 20GB. Are you filling your HD's with uncompressed 4K videos or what? Also, updates DO NOT cause screw-ups or endless bootloops. I know because I run Windows 10 on my 3 computers and it runs like a champ, and I have plenty of hard drive space left over.

Someone who is still running MS-Dos, refuses to update his OS's, and can't get his copy of Windows 10 to work correctly is telling me I have no experience. Yeah, right...
I switched my ISP recently to FIOS w/ 10Mb up and down. Well, I simply don't trust WU UUP( Unified Update Platform) and prefer cumulative updates.
Yes they need to consume more space because they're refinements to the OS, even Linux's monthly update rollup consume space. Thankfully, both Windows and Linux provide the end users and everyone the option to clean it up via DISM and on linux, you can use Synaptic Pkg Mgr to Clear out older kernels and delete apt package cache and make Linux more snappy.
One more thing is those apps aren't Metro but they are UWP aka Unified Windows Platform that allows code sharing among Android, Mac and even Linux too. They call it platform bridging.
I use UWP apps such as Calc, Groove Music because they're very light whilst compared to iTunes when you wanna listen to music with somewhat greater audio quality and very low CPU usage. Why I use Groove Music because my phone uses the same thing.
And the best part is Calc comes built-in with  date calculation, currency converters, scientific calc etc out of the box, so no need to download any new apps.

humbert

Responding to your posts:

My copy of HWINFO says "Microcode Revision" with a value of 22. What does yours say? Does this mean the code was installed?

With respect to your 2nd post, "metro" is a generic term meaning anything that comes from the Windows Store app. That the code can be shared is pretty much beside the point.

ALL OS's leave a ton of garbage behind. That's why it's important to use apps such as Ccleaner or BleachBit(Linux) regularly to constantly flush out the garbage, making sure you have the latest winapp2.ini file in the folder. Of course after a major upgrade, running Windows's disk cleanup is virtually mandatory. Even without these precautions today's hard drives are massive. When was the last time anybody made a mechanical HD less than 1 TB?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 02, 2017, 07:28 PM
Responding to your posts:

My copy of HWINFO says "Microcode Revision" with a value of 22. What does yours say? Does this mean the code was installed?

It is very difficult to keep track of it. So, I don't know which version of uCode is installed for each CPU. As for checking previous uCode use this link https://superuser.com/questions/355691/how-do-i-see-cpu-microcode-version