• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallofasgard

Quote from: humbert on September 18, 2014, 03:29 AM
Quote from: wallofasgard on September 16, 2014, 03:10 PM
Good Day,
We only have the Windows XP September release but not the Windows 7 this September:

Do you already have Maher's Windows 7 installed? If so then let me ask you something. Once you have any of Maher's releases of Windows 7, can't you simply update it online in the background? I have a hard time believing that people obtain Maher's latest release and install it from scratch over a previous release.

I have the June Release and very satisfied with it. I've been using XP on old machine and Win 7 on another.  :)  Both were June releases.

It is not necessary to download every month's releases unless your copy is lost. But i will get another Mr.Maher's Win7 maybe after 5 or 6 months from now because you see,i dont know how to integrate the update myself. :)

black_eagle5000

On Jul release, the update aint work, after installing, the IE is version 7 and I still have to update a lot, took me 3hrs to finish.

Btw, is there a mirror link for this, cos downloading from hostgator is so ******* slow.

humbert

Quote from: wallofasgard on September 18, 2014, 03:55 AM
It is not necessary to download every month's releases unless your copy is lost. But i will get another Mr.Maher's Win7 maybe after 5 or 6 months from now because you see,i dont know how to integrate the update myself. :)

I don't understand something. I too had a pirated copy of Windows 7 for 4 years before upgrading to Windows 8 and 8.1. In all that time I never had to worry about updates, they would happen in the background as I was doing something else. No effort was ever required by me to update anything, and my copy was always up to date. As I see it, this is infinitely easier than turning updates off having to download and reinstall and brand new copy every few months.

Naturally at all times we refer to Windows 7, there are no more updates to XP as we all know.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 20, 2014, 03:39 AM
Quote from: wallofasgard on September 18, 2014, 03:55 AM

I don't understand something. I too had a pirated copy of Windows 7 for 4 years before upgrading to Windows 8 and 8.1. In all that time I never had to worry about updates, they would happen in the background as I was doing something else. No effort was ever required by me to update anything, and my copy was always up to date. As I see it, this is infinitely easier than turning updates off having to download and reinstall and brand new copy every few months.

Naturally at all times we refer to Windows 7, there are no more updates to XP as we all know.
Humbert-> We all discussed regarding updating win7/8. Every time you update ur windows it keeps backup of old files which clogs windows and consumes lot of space(SSD's specifically) IMO downloading Maher's copy every 6 months or a year is a good idea.

Vasudev

humbert

Vasudev & gujjar -> Ever heard of Bleachbit? It's a little freeware utility that does away with what Windows leaves behind after updates occur, not to mention any other garbage that Ccleaner doesn't kill off. I know because I use it all the time. What's more, sometimes I used Bleachbit and when I went to turn the system off, it said "update and restart" - the update wasn't possible because the files were killed off. I had to re-download them and update manually.

As I see it, reinstalling and updated copy of Windows 7 over the old one every few will not get rid of old updates. To do that you'd have to wipe the drive and start fresh. This means reinstalling drivers, reconfiguring everything and reinstalling and reconfiguring all your proggies. That's hateful! Simply updating online and wiping with Bleachbit is so much easier.

What is the big issue with not wanting to update silently in the background? Are you still using a telephone line to access the internet or what?

Also, today all drives are pretty large, even SSD's. How much garbage do you have on drive C that it worries you if Windows' old installation files accumulate? I for one using a 120GB SSD for programs (about 40% full) and a 1.5TB HDD for storage (about 25% full).

Vasudev

Humbert & gujjar-> I use BB(bleachbit) 1.4 & ccleaner both with winapp2.ini.

I update windows every 4 months or more because some updates might have some problems.
On linux i update it everyday.

gfxcell

Is this all of the versions updated or only ULTIMATE?

Vasudev

Only Ultimate maher edition.

humbert

gujjar -> Updates are a necessary evil, especially given the fact that most of them are security related. Also, the ones that download and install themselves automatically are the critical ones, optional ones remain optional. Even the NSA says one of the best ways to protect against malware is to keep everything updated. On this one I do suggest you follow Ismet's logic. :)

Vasudev -> Rarely if ever to I have a problem with an update, but in the event that happens you can always roll it back. I had to do that once with an AMD video card update, which was buggy. Also, with your slow connection, doesn't it make more sense to download and install updates slowly and in the background as opposed to one giant download every 4 months?