• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 03, 2017, 10:14 AM
It is very difficult to keep track of it. So, I don't know which version of uCode is installed for each CPU. As for checking previous uCode use this link https://superuser.com/questions/355691/how-do-i-see-cpu-microcode-version

The problem with this link is there is no way to tell what the microcode should be after installing the update. On both my computers HWINFO reports version 22. The number is meaningless, and honestly I haven't noticed any difference with respect to performance.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 13, 2017, 05:55 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 03, 2017, 10:14 AM
It is very difficult to keep track of it. So, I don't know which version of uCode is installed for each CPU. As for checking previous uCode use this link https://superuser.com/questions/355691/how-do-i-see-cpu-microcode-version

The problem with this link is there is no way to tell what the microcode should be after installing the update. On both my computers HWINFO reports version 22. The number is meaningless, and honestly I haven't noticed any difference with respect to performance.
Isn't your CPU 4710HQ and 4790K ? I think the only way is to delete microcode.dat by using uninstall.bat and reboot. Afterwards, use HWINFO to find the current uCode. Then apply the update. The microcode fixes some random temperature spikes and can deliver more OC potential w/ lesser voltage.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 13, 2017, 02:07 PM
Isn't your CPU 4710HQ and 4790K ? I think the only way is to delete microcode.dat by using uninstall.bat and reboot. Afterwards, use HWINFO to find the current uCode. Then apply the update. The microcode fixes some random temperature spikes and can deliver more OC potential w/ lesser voltage.

You're probably right. Frankly I don't feel it's worth the effort. I'm not noticing any difference one way or the other.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 16, 2017, 05:44 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 13, 2017, 02:07 PM

You're probably right. Frankly I don't feel it's worth the effort. I'm not noticing any difference one way or the other.
Do you use RTSS OSD whilst gaming to monitor CPU temps, usage, GPU temps etc..?
Microcode update can fix TSX bug in your 4790K cpu and can lower cpu temps by 5-10C.  Probably you can update the BIOS to latest version.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 16, 2017, 11:15 AM
Microcode update can fix TSX bug in your 4790K cpu and can lower cpu temps by 5-10C.  Probably you can update the BIOS to latest version.

How do you monitor the health of your CPU when you're in the middle of a game?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 21, 2017, 05:24 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 16, 2017, 11:15 AM

How do you monitor the health of your CPU when you're in the middle of a game?
Using RTSS in HWINFO or MSI AB. 

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 21, 2017, 09:13 AM

I saw your screenshot. Are you saying RTSS is part of HWINFO and runs in the background or what? And what is MSI AB. Give me a brief tutorial on how to do this, I'm curious.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 22, 2017, 06:04 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 21, 2017, 09:13 AM

I saw your screenshot. Are you saying RTSS is part of HWINFO and runs in the background or what? And what is MSI AB. Give me a brief tutorial on how to do this, I'm curious.
Open MSI AB, click on settings and click on On-screen display (OSD) and configure it as per the screenshot. Sorry, frame rate is missing since I don't know how to join two photos using PS/GIMP.

Also, if you find it difficult to interpret my English you can follow the guide from MSI https://www.msi.com/blog/setting-up-osd-with-msi-afterburner

humbert

Does MSI afterburner work with any hardware even if it's not made by MSI?

BTW what's wrong with your English?  :)

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 25, 2017, 04:31 AM
Does MSI afterburner work with any hardware even if it's not made by MSI?

BTW what's wrong with your English?  :)
I'm using MSI AB on Alienware, Lenovo and other Dells too. MSI AB runs on any system.