Author Topic: (New) Testing Anti Virus Suites  (Read 24345 times)

April 15, 2019, 09:10 PM
Reply #70
  • Global Moderator
Use Windows Defender or scarface's repacked version of Trend Micro officescan. MBAM 3.x is utterly useless you can download Emsisoft Emergency kit for free w/o payment on any number of PCs. Its a very good on-demand scanner.

Does Emsisoft Emergency protect in real time or do you need to manually perform a scan? Can you put it on a flashdrive and boot from it in case the the system won't boot due to malware damage?

Incidentally, free Malwarebytes is useless in the sense that it doesn't perform real time scans. It will perform manual scans. If Emsisoft Emergency works only manually then how is it any different from Malwarebytes?

April 16, 2019, 08:50 AM
Reply #71
  • Global Moderator
Use Windows Defender or scarface's repacked version of Trend Micro officescan. MBAM 3.x is utterly useless you can download Emsisoft Emergency kit for free w/o payment on any number of PCs. Its a very good on-demand scanner.

Does Emsisoft Emergency protect in real time or do you need to manually perform a scan? Can you put it on a flashdrive and boot from it in case the the system won't boot due to malware damage?

Incidentally, free Malwarebytes is useless in the sense that it doesn't perform real time scans. It will perform manual scans. If Emsisoft Emergency works only manually then how is it any different from Malwarebytes?
EEK is free to use in Home/Commercial. EEK is just a on demand manual scanner. For LiveCD feature, WD already has offline scan feature and so does most AV provide one for free.
I've WD as RTP along with EEK as On demand scanner and few LiveCDs on USB on standby from ESET,Kaspersky and Dr. Web.

April 16, 2019, 10:11 PM
Reply #72
  • Global Moderator
EEK is free to use in Home/Commercial. EEK is just a on demand manual scanner. For LiveCD feature, WD already has offline scan feature and so does most AV provide one for free.
I've WD as RTP along with EEK as On demand scanner and few LiveCDs on USB on standby from ESET,Kaspersky and Dr. Web.

Sometimes you confuse me with your alphabet soup :).

If we're talking a anti-virus program that does only manual scans, then do you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes or are they pretty much the same? If you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes (or vice-versa), why?

You confused me with a recommendation for a bootable anti-malware program for use if the computer won't boot due to malware damage. Which do you think is good just to keep around in case of an emergency? Strelec's bootable DVD contains several. Do you think any of them can do a fine job?

April 16, 2019, 11:00 PM
Reply #73
  • Global Moderator

Sometimes you confuse me with your alphabet soup :).

If we're talking a anti-virus program that does only manual scans, then do you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes or are they pretty much the same? If you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes (or vice-versa), why?

You confused me with a recommendation for a bootable anti-malware program for use if the computer won't boot due to malware damage. Which do you think is good just to keep around in case of an emergency? Strelec's bootable DVD contains several. Do you think any of them can do a fine job?
Yeah I know.
EEK : Emsisoft Emergency kit
WD: Windows defender 4.18.x.x with AI, Block at first sight, Paranoid mode using Configure Defender by Andyful (Almost similar protection to Kaspersky free)
Emsisoft uses Bitdefender engine and their own engine for behavior based classification/detection of any malware.
MBAM 3.x is buggy and often has become a nagware to pay for the SW for removal of advanced pesky malwares
I use AiOBoot and have 10-12 ISOs in legacy/EFI mode w/o any fuss. I use Windows 10,Sergei Strelec, HBCD PE(Replaced F4BCD and HBCD 15.2), LiveCDs from dr.web,kaspersky and ESET. I've added Ubuntu,Xubuntu,Pop OS as well.