• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

(New) Testing Anti Virus Suites

Started by Vasudev, June 02, 2014, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 16, 2019, 05:10 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on April 15, 2019, 07:12 AM
Use Windows Defender or scarface's repacked version of Trend Micro officescan. MBAM 3.x is utterly useless you can download Emsisoft Emergency kit for free w/o payment on any number of PCs. Its a very good on-demand scanner.

Does Emsisoft Emergency protect in real time or do you need to manually perform a scan? Can you put it on a flashdrive and boot from it in case the the system won't boot due to malware damage?

Incidentally, free Malwarebytes is useless in the sense that it doesn't perform real time scans. It will perform manual scans. If Emsisoft Emergency works only manually then how is it any different from Malwarebytes?
EEK is free to use in Home/Commercial. EEK is just a on demand manual scanner. For LiveCD feature, WD already has offline scan feature and so does most AV provide one for free.
I've WD as RTP along with EEK as On demand scanner and few LiveCDs on USB on standby from ESET,Kaspersky and Dr. Web.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on April 16, 2019, 04:50 PM
EEK is free to use in Home/Commercial. EEK is just a on demand manual scanner. For LiveCD feature, WD already has offline scan feature and so does most AV provide one for free.
I've WD as RTP along with EEK as On demand scanner and few LiveCDs on USB on standby from ESET,Kaspersky and Dr. Web.

Sometimes you confuse me with your alphabet soup :).

If we're talking a anti-virus program that does only manual scans, then do you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes or are they pretty much the same? If you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes (or vice-versa), why?

You confused me with a recommendation for a bootable anti-malware program for use if the computer won't boot due to malware damage. Which do you think is good just to keep around in case of an emergency? Strelec's bootable DVD contains several. Do you think any of them can do a fine job?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 17, 2019, 06:11 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on April 16, 2019, 04:50 PM

Sometimes you confuse me with your alphabet soup :).

If we're talking a anti-virus program that does only manual scans, then do you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes or are they pretty much the same? If you believe EEK is better than free Malwarebytes (or vice-versa), why?

You confused me with a recommendation for a bootable anti-malware program for use if the computer won't boot due to malware damage. Which do you think is good just to keep around in case of an emergency? Strelec's bootable DVD contains several. Do you think any of them can do a fine job?
Yeah I know.
EEK : Emsisoft Emergency kit
WD: Windows defender 4.18.x.x with AI, Block at first sight, Paranoid mode using Configure Defender by Andyful (Almost similar protection to Kaspersky free)
Emsisoft uses Bitdefender engine and their own engine for behavior based classification/detection of any malware.
MBAM 3.x is buggy and often has become a nagware to pay for the SW for removal of advanced pesky malwares
I use AiOBoot and have 10-12 ISOs in legacy/EFI mode w/o any fuss. I use Windows 10,Sergei Strelec, HBCD PE(Replaced F4BCD and HBCD 15.2), LiveCDs from dr.web,kaspersky and ESET. I've added Ubuntu,Xubuntu,Pop OS as well.

scarface

For those who need an antivirus, note that virusscan was updated in this message: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1718.msg29118#msg29118
This is the virusscan with patch 16.

scarface

Note that the new  Trellix Endpoint Security 10.7.0 September 2023 Update is available on the forum.
Security platform version: 10.7.0.6149
Threat prevention version: 10.7.0.6177

Link: Trellix endpoint security
It is a switch-less installer. The original installer was modified: only the 64bit version is available (for windows 7/10/11 x64)

humbert

Vasudev, et al .. When I boot into Strelec's flashdrive and execute Kaspersky anti-virus, it says "Can't Load Partition". The strange thing is that it's happening on 2 different computers using 2 different flashdrives. Do you have any idea of what's going on? Strelec's Kaspersky almost saved my life a few weeks ago. Best of all, it removed the malware from the infected files without deleting the files. Windows Defender and others delete the file and make no attempt to "cure" it. That's why I went into Group Policy Editor and disabled it.

While you're at it, do you know of a good antivirus that can be booted from a flashdrive, updated, and remove the malware without deleting the file? The other 2 antivirus programs on Strelec don't seem to be very good. One even made unwanted changes in my settings.

Scarface .. regarding the McAfee program you have for download. I've never used McAfee myself, but one thing I've seen on computers that come preloaded is that McAfee is constantly eating resources even when it's not needed. What's been your experience with this copy?

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 26, 2021, 04:39 AM
I've never used McAfee myself, but one thing I've seen on computers that come preloaded is that McAfee is constantly eating resources even when it's not needed. What's been your experience with this copy?
I didn't test the very latest one, but I didn't not experience any inconvenience with the others.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 26, 2021, 04:39 AM
Vasudev, et al .. When I boot into Strelec's flashdrive and execute Kaspersky anti-virus, it says "Can't Load Partition". The strange thing is that it's happening on 2 different computers using 2 different flashdrives. Do you have any idea of what's going on? Strelec's Kaspersky almost saved my life a few weeks ago. Best of all, it removed the malware from the infected files without deleting the files. Windows Defender and others delete the file and make no attempt to "cure" it. That's why I went into Group Policy Editor and disabled it.

While you're at it, do you know of a good antivirus that can be booted from a flashdrive, updated, and remove the malware without deleting the file? The other 2 antivirus programs on Strelec don't seem to be very good. One even made unwanted changes in my settings.

Scarface .. regarding the McAfee program you have for download. I've never used McAfee myself, but one thing I've seen on computers that come preloaded is that McAfee is constantly eating resources even when it's not needed. What's been your experience with this copy?
I always used Kaspersky rescue disk ISO as opposed to Sergei's Kaspersky Tool. I couldn't get it to work properly on all machines

humbert

Vasu -> Thanks for the Kaspersky link. I downloaded the ISO from their web site. When it comes to antivirus matters you're the go-to guy. MODIFIED POST: I burned this ISO to a USB flashdrive but couldn't get it to boot. I got a green screen prompting me to use English or Russian. When it picked English it didn't boot, it tried and tried and I kept getting a black screen. Rufus gave me an error message that there was no bootloader on the ISO and prompted me to download and install Grub. It did all that but it didn't work. How'd you get it to boot up?

Scarface -> I got your file. Let me test it in VirtualBox and let's see what happens.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on December 28, 2021, 05:11 AM
Vasu -> Thanks for the Kaspersky link. I downloaded the ISO from their web site. When it comes to antivirus matters you're the go-to guy. MODIFIED POST: I burned this ISO to a USB flashdrive but couldn't get it to boot. I got a green screen prompting me to use English or Russian. When it picked English it didn't boot, it tried and tried and I kept getting a black screen. Rufus gave me an error message that there was no bootloader on the ISO and prompted me to download and install Grub. It did all that but it didn't work. How'd you get it to boot up?

Scarface -> I got your file. Let me test it in VirtualBox and let's see what happens.
Was Secure boot disabled? I have seen that bug on some machines including mine when I used multiboot USB and eventually switched to Ventoy the ISO was buggy but had it working.
In that case I'd suggest Dr. Web LiveCD(Updated frequently in a week) or Eset SysRescue(Updated during bugfixes) both of them are very good and ran fine on wide variety of machines.