• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Support

Started by Vasudev, December 13, 2014, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

I've been using this for quite some time on my laptop. I like it a lot, I can't install further updates due to an error. Only crash I've seen is when my computer has been in sleeping mode for a long period of time and I try to start it again

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 31, 2015, 03:20 AM
I've been using this for quite some time on my laptop. I like it a lot, I can't install further updates due to an error. Only crash I've seen is when my computer has been in sleeping mode for a long period of time and I try to start it again

Before anything else let me be the first one to welcome you back. You're a valuable member of our little family and an asset to the forum.

As for the downloadable copy of Windows 10 you mentioned, can you simply download it from MS and install it over the current Windows 7 or 8.1 installation? I know MS is going to offer this as a free upgrade, but even so I'm not sure if a fresh install is the best way to go. What did you do?

I think before I put it in I'll wait until they iron out most of the bugs. They'll never get all of them, but as I see it the more they get, the better.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on January 31, 2015, 03:55 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on January 31, 2015, 03:20 AM

Before anything else let me be the first one to welcome you back. You're a valuable member of our little family and an asset to the forum.

As for the downloadable copy of Windows 10 you mentioned, can you simply download it from MS and install it over the current Windows 7 or 8.1 installation? I know MS is going to offer this as a free upgrade, but even so I'm not sure if a fresh install is the best way to go. What did you do?

I think before I put it in I'll wait until they iron out most of the bugs. They'll never get all of them, but as I see it the more they get, the better.
Okay, it's a little hard to remember how I did. Basically the computer I have uses a 500gb hdd, with one partition that can be changed in size. The original windows 7 that came with it is quite bricked, so i restored it to its original point. (Leftclick doesnt work for some reason) so I downloaded windows 10 full install and put it on a flashdrive. I then plugged it into the computer and ran the setup without issues. I still have a 30gb partition on it that Win 7 uses. I guess it's a fresh install

Vasudev

Shadow97-> Check keyboard & mouse problems with keytest from passmark. Good to have you back.

Shadow.97

Quote from: Vasudev on February 02, 2015, 01:55 PM
Shadow97-> Check keyboard & mouse problems with keytest from passmark. Good to have you back.
Thank you. :) I will try this next week, when I'm in school.

Vasudev

I'm in college now, thought of taking a long leave from all forums.
Edit: I'm back in action.

fayyaz syed

windows 10 running fine.activated and being updated by Microsoft.
wonderful experience.
fast with extra features.But this copy of tech. preview lacks many features which will be added in the retail addition.

shhnedo

No, they didn't. Official Windows 10 release is in Q4 I think, but it sure as hell isn't H1. The latest TP build released by MS for download is 9926.

akaubee

Windows 10 preview has same problems like windows 8.1 WZT except IE internal bugs

but windows 10 preview has many problems compared to windows 8.1. The first time i had installed, icons does not display well, then internet explorer, it says 'cannot open. internal bug' (i dont recall exactly the problem in internet explorer but i will try installing again and tell you), app error 0xc00d36c4, start menu does not start correctly (must start it 2 or 3 times to start well), I set the taskbar long just to check. In next reboot, it returns normal and I often get BSOD: BAD_POOL_CALLER like i had always get in w8.1. Windows 8 preview is better than the new preview copies. I have never never got BSOD in Win7, XP. WIndows 8 get bsod BUT it got fixed. The problem in my w8 is only about drivers and softwares.

humbert

You can't expect a pre-release version of anything to work perfectly. Unless you're a tester, the best thing to do is to sit back and wait for the official release - and even then you're going to have all kinds of updates and bug fixes coming down the pipe.

What kind driver and software issues do you have with W8? I've been on W8 and W8.1 for over 2 years and I've never run into a problem.  Or is it you're using 20 year old hardware that nobody's bothered to write a driver for in 15 years?