• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

NVidia SLI on Windows - basic manual

Started by Daniil, December 24, 2014, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Humbert-> You can turn up settings for a little aggressive setting in chassis fan profile.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on February 03, 2015, 03:45 AM
I think I'm doing something wrong somewhere, so let me explain what I did:

(1) My conclusion that it didn't work is based on connecting the fans to the motherboard pins, turning the board on and the fans not doing anything. I'm now thinking they kick in when the motherboard heats up. True? I should mention the socket on the fans has a slot to prevent an incorrect connection.

(2) My motherboard settings for Chassis Fans are:
Chassis Q-Fan Control                 ---   Enabled
Chassis Fan Speed, Low Limit     ---   600 RPM
Chassis Fan Profile                      ---  Standard

Am I doing something wrong? Other than this my board works perfectly
1) - possibly true. Modern "smart" motherboards sometimes are "too smart".
2) - first, try to turn off Q-Fan. It can braking the fans if motherboard is not hot enough.
Second, Vasudev said truth - try to raise low limit of fans, up to 800 rpm.

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on February 03, 2015, 11:08 PM
2) - first, try to turn off Q-Fan. It can braking the fans if motherboard is not hot enough.

I looked at the mobo's manual and, based on your advice, I think these might be better settings:

CPU Fan Control                      --  Enabled
CPU Fan Speed Low Limit        --  600 RPM
CPU Fan Profile                        --  Turbo

Notes:
(1) "CPU Fan Speed Low Limit" means the board will warn you if the fans are spinning slower than 600 RPM. This is the highest supported speed. The other option is "ignore" which essentially disables this protection.
(2) "Turbo" means "set to achieve maximum chassis fan speed". Other options are Standard (Fan speed automatically adjusts to chassis temperature), Silent (minimize fan speeds to control noise), and "Manual" (assign detailed fan speed control parameters).

Please tell me if you agree so I can open up my case and make the changes.

Daniil

Quote from: humbert on February 04, 2015, 03:46 AM
Quote from: Daniil on February 03, 2015, 11:08 PM

I looked at the mobo's manual and, based on your advice, I think these might be better settings:

CPU Fan Control                      --  Enabled
CPU Fan Speed Low Limit        --  600 RPM
CPU Fan Profile                        --  Turbo

Notes:
(1) "CPU Fan Speed Low Limit" means the board will warn you if the fans are spinning slower than 600 RPM. This is the highest supported speed. The other option is "ignore" which essentially disables this protection.
(2) "Turbo" means "set to achieve maximum chassis fan speed". Other options are Standard (Fan speed automatically adjusts to chassis temperature), Silent (minimize fan speeds to control noise), and "Manual" (assign detailed fan speed control parameters).
Mr. Humbert, are you sure in what you talking about? We talked about chassis fans, and here you asking me about CPU fan. You want to tune your CPU cooler as well, or what? (Beware, don't  occasionally overheat your PC's CPU!)

If you meant chassis fans - yes, keeping in mind data from manual, 600 RPM is optimal, change profile to "Turbo" is good idea, but I think, you also should turn off Q-Fan.

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on February 05, 2015, 01:50 PM
Mr. Humbert, are you sure in what you talking about? We talked about chassis fans, and here you asking me about CPU fan. You want to tune your CPU cooler as well, or what? (Beware, don't  occasionally overheat your PC's CPU!)
If you meant chassis fans - yes, keeping in mind data from manual, 600 RPM is optimal, change profile to "Turbo" is good idea, but I think, you also should turn off Q-Fan.

Absolutely right. I simply copied and pasted the wrong one.  :(  There are identical settings for Chassis Fans. I will follow your advice and let's see what happens. Many thanks.

Vasudev

Humbert-> Have you noticed the tagline of nvida it says : The way it's meant to be played. Well, mobo's manual played with you :)

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on February 06, 2015, 11:24 AM
Humbert-> Have you noticed the tagline of nvida it says : The way it's meant to be played. Well, mobo's manual played with you :)

What tagline?

As for the case fans, using Turbo mode didn't work either, so for now I've got them connected to the Molex connector. They work OK, the only problem is they can't be monitored with apps such as Speedfan. Asus tech support keeps insisting only 4-pin fans will work. I have yet to find any.

Vasudev

Did you try using Asus's system  monitoring suite called AI suite.