• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

What is an arrondissement? Is that like a neighborhood or something?

scarface

yes it is. You can find arrondissements in Montreal, Paris, Lyon...

Note that new photos will be available tonight.

scarface

I uploaded some old photos in this message. Note that tomorrow other photos will be available.
http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg29267#msg29267

scarface

Tonight, I'm holding a conference to show you a few photos of Saint Etienne.

A long time ago, humbert told us that he had been to the Champs Elysées (and its mcdonald), but chances are he has never visited Saint Etienne. And maybe he never will. So I’m sure that the users of the forum will be delighted to see those photos. And if they can, they should upload their own photos too, but in their country it might be forbidden.

Those ones were taken a few days ago...
Rue du 11 Novembre.
As you can see there are few cars. This is one of the city’s main streets, and yet there are many closed shops. But there is an interesting architecture.

Rue de la marne. The buildings look dilapited, but oddly enough flats are often quite big and comfy.
In Paris it was the opposite, the façades are regularly renovated, but many flats are tiny and poorly insulated.

A shopping arcade. At least what is left of it. Only one shop is still open.

A few photos taken today.
It’s snowing. It was a catastrophe for me because my car and my tyres are not capable of coping with this weather. Actually, there is a steep hill on my way to work, and with a
relatively powerful sedan using slick tyres, if you have to stop the car, the wheels of the vehicles are spinning when you move again.

a few hours later.

scarface

if humbert is looking at the photos of the forum, he must be wondering 2 things.
- if the last photo is a selfie of me (since he met Maher he knows it's not him).
-and why I'm living in such a gloomy town.

Well, the last photo is not me...it's Sammy, some of you certainly realized that.
As for the town, I guess I should have come here before to take a decision. I didn't realize it would be so hard to live here.
During a lunch break at noon, it's not easy to find some good food, in a place that is not bustling with noisy students, and that is selling quality food, not kebab or burgers.
Since I don't eat kebab, aa1234779 must be thinking that I don't like Arabic food. Actually, It's not the case, I love couscous, and the kebab is not Arabic, even if the root of the word comes from the Proto-Afroasiatic word "kab" which means to roast. Indeed, the only thing Arabic about kebab, is the etymology. The kebab dish was first seen in Achaemenid Persia and later, Classical Greece. And the kebab we have in France comes from Germany, the Doner Kebab, invented by a Turkish immigrant. But it's a bit fat. The outer surface is gradually cooked and sliced off, and typically served as a sandwich in pita or flatbread with salad and chipped potatoes. In india for example, they have a more refined product with the galouti kebab, with Roomali Roti and vegetables. It's probably half as caloric as the Doner kebab.

I already told humbert that I wanted to go to Palestine with the users of the forum. Actually I think it's not a good idea.
Maybe I would be disappointed. After all, this country is still a bit tormented, and I don't think many users would want to come.
Since most users of the forum come from Asia, and that many are Muslim, it would be interesting to find a beautiful town in a Muslim country of Asia.
In my opinion Islamabad certainly fits this description. If we opened a restaurant other there, I already imagine Maher preparing the Palestinian couscous, scarface serving the French picodon, and Vasudev recommending the chicken tikka masala

a couscous

a picodon (it's not a French saucisson, it's a wheel of cheese. Picodon is a goats-milk cheese made in the region around the Rhine in southern France.

A chicken tikka masala

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 30, 2018, 11:47 PM
- if the last photo is a selfie of me (since he met Maher he knows it's not him).

I haven't met Maher personally. In fact I've never been to the Middle East.

-and why I'm living in such a gloomy town.

What's so bad about St. Etienne? Based on your input it's certainly better than Paris.

I already told humbert that I wanted to go to Palestine with the users of the forum. Actually I think it's not a good idea.
Maybe I would be disappointed. After all, this country is still a bit tormented, and I don't think many users would want to come.

It if were possible for the users of the forum to travel to Palestine, it might be a good after all provided we do things right. First we would have to fly to Amman. Tel-Aviv airport authorities are very problematic. I know a few horror stories. Based on the information I have, coming in by road (bus) from Jordan is easier. In fact, Maher is a Jordanian citizen and could easily meet us in Amman and guide us to Qalqilya. I suppose my only concern would be citizens of Arab countries, or maybe Pakistan.

Since most users of the forum come from Asia, and that many are Muslim, it would be interesting to find a beautiful town in a Muslim country of Asia.

If you want Asian cities that are primarily Muslim, don't forget to check out Kaula Lumpur and Jakarta.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on October 31, 2018, 05:59 AM
I haven't met Maher personally. In fact I've never been to the Middle East.

What's so bad about St. Etienne? Based on your input it's certainly better than Paris.

It if were possible for the users of the forum to travel to Palestine, it might be a good after all provided we do things right. First we would have to fly to Amman. Tel-Aviv airport authorities are very problematic. I know a few horror stories. Based on the information I have, coming in by road (bus) from Jordan is easier. In fact, Maher is a Jordanian citizen and could easily meet us in Amman and guide us to Qalqilya. I suppose my only concern would be citizens of Arab countries, or maybe Pakistan.

If you want Asian cities that are primarily Muslim, don't forget to check out Kaula Lumpur and Jakarta.
If you are talking about Palestine it's the near East. If you are talking about Jordan, it's the middle East.
Here is a map to understand that.

Jordan is probably an excellent choice if we are planning to leave the capitalist world and work in a farm.
And as far as Palestine is concerned I know everything you are saying.
In my opinion most people in Pakistan are understanding, particularly in Islamabad. And they are smart too, we remember our friend usman.
There are a few Islamists who are currently protesting against the release of Asia Bibi, but I guess they have no other concern than to "add to the sum of human pleasures," as Brillat-Savarin so wonderfully put it.

In Saint Etienne there are many impoverished areas. I'm avoiding some bars or some supermarkets, notably in the south of the town. There are thugs in some streets at night.
If you compare the photos of Lyon and St Etienne, you probably see a slight difference. There are advantages too, for example if you are looking for a parking spot, it's not very hard to find one, even in the center of the town on a Saturday afternoon. It wasn't that easy in Paris.

Well, I don't know Kuala Lumpur but I'm not sure I'd like to live in Jakarta, which is a very big town. Lately, it was ranked as one of the most stressful cities in the world.
https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/jakarta-ranked-one-stressful-cities-world-global-study/

A few days ago, students from prestigious schools published a manifesto alerting political and economic decision makers on the climate emergency.
Maybe shadow.97 or humbert are one of them.

They want to include in "their daily life and their job" an "environmental ambition to end the deadlock”. More than 20,000 students from all over France and beyond signed the "Student Manifesto for an Ecological Awakening" which launches an urgent appeal to take action to save the planet.

Launched and written by high school students, who will have leading responsibilities in the years to come - Polytechnique, HEC Paris, AgroParisTech, CentraleSupélec and ENS Ulm - it has gradually expanded to include university students in France. But also beyond, in Belgium, Canada or the United Kingdom.

Support is starting to come in, especially from the former environment and housing minister, Cécile Duflot.

Asked this Thursday on France info, students at the initiative of the project also announced receiving support from Al Gore, presidential candidate in the United States in the year 2000 and champion of ecology.

"As we get closer to our first job, we realize that the system we are part of is leading us to jobs that are often incompatible with the fruit of our reflections and confines us to daily contradictions. but we can not act alone: we can overcome these contradictions only with the active involvement of economic and political decision-makers, whose sole objective must be to serve the general interest in a sustainable way, "say the editors of the manifesto, put online a few days after the alarming report of the IPCC. In the latter, published in early October, the UN climate experts estimate that without change, global warming could reach 1.5 degrees in 2030. This will have catastrophic consequences on the ecosystem of the planet.

Individualism is pointed out.
"We, future workers, are ready to question our comfort zone so that society changes deeply," they write. Choosing a job in relation to one’s convictions, an employer who takes environmental commitments ... Implicitly, future professionals, promised for some to responsibilities, want to shake things up by convincing companies to change their behavior. "Companies must agree to put ecological logic at the heart of their organization and their activities."

Finally, they draw up a list of green ideas and encourage the signatories to commit to some, if not all of them. This includes the reduction of animal protein consumption, the abandonment of aircraft and single-use products, the reduction of heating by 1 ° in winter or the associative commitment.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 02, 2018, 11:31 PM
If you are talking about Palestine it's the near East. If you are talking about Jordan, it's the middle East.
Here is a map to understand that.

"Middle East" is a generic term applied to the area shown on your map not including Iran and Afghanistan. These countries are referred to as "Southwest Asia". At least that's how it is in this country. The term "near East" is never used. I suppose different cartographers have different names for areas on their maps.

Quote from: scarface on November 02, 2018, 11:31 PM
Well, I don't know Kuala Lumpur but I'm not sure I'd like to live in Jakarta, which is a very big town. Lately, it was ranked as one of the most stressful cities in the world.

As far as I know Kuala Lumpur is pretty modern. I suppose the best place in that area of the world is probably Singapore.

scarface

Here is an old message that was deleted. This message is a bit weird but maybe some of you will read it with interest.
Maybe there is a lot of tramps or poor people in your country. And If you go to Paris you'll see some tramps. A lot of tramps. Here you can get acquainted with a few of them.

If some people don’t like some of my messages they can ask me to remove them, they probably know I like to remove unneeded messages.
In fact, Most of us prefer ignoring those people. But at least it’s important to know that they exist. Sometimes we think that these people only exist in very poor countries, like Bangladesh, but it’s wrong. In Europe or in the US they are also very numerous. In the train stations of New York, they are so numerous that the town is hiding them behind sheets. As for France, there is a disease called Japanese syndrome which affects Japanese tourists, some of them becoming depressed after discovering during their journey that bums are numerous in Paris. According to estimates, One third of the 150000 Homeless persons in France are living in the Parisian agglomeration, of whom between 20000 and 30000 are living in Paris. They are younger than in the rest of France and 1/3 is working. Besides, 3,5 million people are badly housed and 85000 are living in makeshift houses in France. More than half of the overall number of tramps are originally from foreign countries and the number of homeless people increased by 50% in 10 years.

Jimmy the tramp is sleeping every evening in this phone booth. He’s in the street since 1985.

Henri has been living under the tunnel of the Etoile, a road section under the arch of triumph, for 4 years.

Henri in and out of his shelter, to search in trash cans for food.

This homeless person was found dead of cold, under the bridge Charles de Gaulles in the 12th arrondissement.

Portrait of a homeless person nicknamed “papa”, who has been sleeping in the station of the RER nation for years.

A homeless person nicknamed Jesus, who has been sleeping for years in the subway, and who is well known by the social services of the RATP.

scarface

Here are a few photos...taken yesterday in Lyon.