• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Financial news and stock markets.

Started by scarface, February 26, 2015, 08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Today, I advise you to sell société générale. That's what I did, at 23.35â,¬ this morning. Maybe you will be able to come back at a lower price, the support being around 22,30â,¬. A few days ago, I told you that the target was at 22.10, and yesterday socgen was at this price indeed. It was a perfect level to buy.
https://www.boursorama.com/cours/1rPGLE/

Note that the Euro keeps tumbling today, as Dollar enjoys broad-based rally against major currencies.
Fed cut rates by 25 basis points, further cuts are not certain.
U.S.-China trade talks ended with no progress.

shadow.97 or aa1234779 are probably wondering if they can stay bullish on gold. I think gold will keep gleaming indeed.

The precious metal is on track for its third straight month of gains
And the Federal Reserve decision on interest rates is bullish for gold even if we saw a correction yesterday.
Most analysts think it looks it’s poised to head even higher.
“The Fed cut interest rates for the first time since 2008 with the market at all-time highs here, trying to continue the upward trajectory in economic growth. Gold has been a very good beneficiary, ” Gordon said Tuesday on CNBC’s “Trading Nation.” “I see an opportunity to put another GLD trade on.”
Gordon was referring to SPDR Gold Shares, the largest exchange-traded fund in the market that invests in physical gold. In late June, he predicted the GLD would pull back to near its mid-2016 highs â€" but when it didn’t, it made him even more bullish.

scarface

Within minutes, the Dow Jones just tumbled over 300 points this evening. In this context, I still advise you to have defensive positions.
Gold is bullish again today, Newmont goldcorp, agnico and Barrick Gold are soaring.
I'm bullish on Gold stocks. For the other stocks, I'm waiting for a correction (and I still have some socgen stocks, but I sold 30% of the position at 23.35â,¬, as I said earlier. Socgen closed at 23.50â,¬).

The cac 40 futures are now showing a decline of 1.5% (shadow.97 and aa1234779 must be thinking that tomorrow will be red indeed).

scarface

Well, a small crash is taking place this morning on the European markets.
I advise you to buy a few stocks if you don't have any:
- For Socgen or Renault, it might be an interesting price (I bought some Rno this morning at 48.50 â,¬, shortly after the opening of the markets)
- After Eramet's share price dropped by 33% in a month, it might be a good bet on the short term too.

https://www.boursorama.com/bourse/

scarface

To understand what is happening:
European stock markets have fallen after the surprise decision by Donald Trump to impose new tariffs on a further $300bn of Chinese imports.

The FTSE 100 and the leading indexes in France and Germany all fell by more than 2% each.

The US president's decision came after the latest round of bilateral talks showed little sign of a breakthrough.

The 10% tariffs, due to take effect on 1 September, effectively tax all Chinese imports to the US.

The FTSE 100 dropped by 2% to 7,426.13 points. In Germany, the Dax index dropped by 2.57 % and the Cac 40 in France declined by 2.82%

scarface

The cac 40 keeps crumbling: -3%.
https://www.boursorama.com/bourse/indices/cours/1rPCAC/

Note that I'm remaining bullish on gold.
As far as silver is concerned, well I don't see any bullishness. I guess aa1234779 and usman would agree with me if I was speaking of "slugishness" instead.

scarface

Well, I'm going to give you a quick insight of the stock markets today.

You are probably wondering what is going to happen on the markets today.
Here is a screenshot for the futures of the cac40, the dax and Wall Street.

And it seems it's going to smell like dog poo today.

scarface

scarface

My current strategy:
I stay bearish on stocks. I think the cac 40 can go to 5200 points (25800 points for the Dow Jones).
On these levels, We may see a short term rebound, but I don't think there will be an upward trend on the middle term.

I remain bullish on Gold and on Gold stocks.

scarface

Note that I sold Renault this morning, at 49.7â,¬ (making a small capital gain). In the current context I didn't want to take risks. If the stock price is going up, no matter. Current price 49.25â,¬.

Note that I advise you to buy Eramet for a short term trade...
The price of nickel, which is used as a key raw material for cathode material of a secondary battery, has increased by almost 40% compared to the price of nickel at the beginning of this year. Stock of nickel has reached its lowest point within the past six years. It is expected that the price of nickel will continue to go up as there are huge demands for electric vehicle battery while there is limited supply.
Spot price of nickel traded within LME (London Metal Exchange) has shown steep increase since last month and it recorded its highest price within the past year at $14,685 per ton.

scarface

Today, I'm going to hold a conference about a remote and secluded country. It is very densely populated. The photo will probably help you locate this country.

I'm going to help you a bit more.
In this country, investors are worried about the deteriorating political crisis, slowing economic growth in the region and escalating trade tensions between the United States and China. Its stock exchange lost 2.85% last night (Night for those who are in Europe or in the US).

I guess that Vasudev and humbert are thinking about the Gaza strip. The picture shows modern buildings and a lot of young people in the street, it could be over there indeed.

Actually the scene is taking place in Hong Kong. And there is no end in sight to HK's summer of unrest.

In the hours before Beijing's top office responsible for Hong Kong affairs held the first press conference in its history on Monday, rumours started swirling about how China might respond to the two months of unrest in the former British colony.

Would Beijing finally sack the city's ineffective leader Carrie Lam and agree to withdraw the controversial bill that became a tinderbox for wider concerns about civil liberties and the economy? Or would Xi Jinping put his foot down and send in the People's Liberation Army (PLA)?

China did neither, instead declaring its full support for Lam's administration and the police while urging Hong Kong citizens not to tolerate "violent acts" and "radical" behaviour.

When asked about the PLA deployment option, officials simply pointed to provisions in Hong Kong's mini-constitution which allows the government to ask for Beijing's assistance to restore.

Beijing's official response to two months of unrest was relatively restrained. The Chinese Communist Party was never going to make concessions to the protesters, particularly to demands for more democracy. But it also knows the international backlash that would follow if it took a more aggressive stance on Hong Kong's affairs.

Beijing, which has other fires to put out as it fights a trade war with Donald Trump, is playing the long game. It is betting on the unrest dying down and public opinion turning against the protest movement.

"They hope protesters will get tired. They will somehow go too far and lose the support of the public in Hong Kong and once they lose momentum they can start ratching up the oppression again by arresting democracy leaders, protesters etcetera and that will slowly bring the city back to order," Ben Bland, director of the Southeast Asia Project at the Lowy Institute, told CNBC.

"That didn't work in 2014, but that seems to be the strategy they [are] adopting again, muddling through somehow."

Another option is a more covert approach by Beijing towards Hong Kong.  In China, the propaganda in state-owned media has shifted from ignoring the events in Hong Kong to portraying protesters as violent rioters while calling for the protection of the “rule of law”.  Indirectly, it can influence how the city's leaders, police and even paid thugs from Hong Kong itself or the mainland deal the protest movement.

For the tens of thousands of people who have spent their past eight weekends protesting and hundreds of thousands of others who joined peaceful marches, China's position does not change anything.

The weekly violent clashes between police and protesters will not end along with the city's long, hot summer. The unique aspect of the protest movement is that it is leaderless, which makes it difficult to control. The events of the past two months have also shown that Hong Kong people are not as compliant as Beijing would like.

Many of the protesters are young, do not have foreign passports and having nothing to lose if they think their economic future or civil liberties are threatened.

The sight of tear gas wafting through busy residential and shopping districts has oddly become the norm for a city unaccustomed to violence. Increasingly, ordinary people are being caught up in the chaos. The tourists out for dinner in Shueng Wan with their kids on Sunday night whose eyes were stinging from tear gas or the passengers on an underground train last weekend who were beaten up with batons by pro-Beijing criminal gang members.