• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Financial news and stock markets.

Started by scarface, February 26, 2015, 08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to give you a brief overview of the stock markets.

In the US, it seems there is a market downturn. The s&p 500 is now down 1%.
Dow Turned Lower After Trump Criticized China's Trade Policies: stocks reversed direction and headed down after Trump criticized China's trade policies in a speech before the United Nations.

Trump delivered his third address to the United Nations General Assembly in New York Tuesday, during which he criticized China, threatening to tighten sanctions on Iran, and said every nation has the "absolute right" to protect its borders.

"Not only has China declined to adopt promised reforms," Trump said, "it has embraced an economic model, dependent on massive market barriers, heavy state subsidies, currency manipulation, product dumping, forced technology transfers and the theft of intellectual property and also trade secrets on a grand scale."

The harsh comments followed Mnuchin's earlier announcement that he and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer would meet with Chinese Vice Premier Liu He for trade negotiations.

"It's actually, I think, it's not next week, but the following week we'll be having those talks," Mnuchin said in an interview with Fox Business Network. The Treasury secretary said some progress was made in deputy-level talks last week.

Note that the meeting between Trump and Greta Thunberg turned out to be bumpy:
Thunberg, the Swedish climate activist, fixed Trump with a steady stare as he arrived at the UN to attend a meeting on religious freedom.
Despite expectations that President Donald Trump would snub a day-long United Nations summit on climate change, he made a surprise visit Monday morning and stayed for less than 15 minutes.
While the president’s unexpected appearance might have been lauded by climate activists, many were not satisfied with his brief participation.
Finally, President Donald Trump mocked 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg on Twitter late Monday.
Posting a fatalistic statement the Swedish teen had made earlier Monday at the United Nations’ special meeting on climate change, Trump tweeted: “She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!“

if Maher and humbert are looking at this picture, they must be thinking it's certainly the movie poster for the latest opus of the horror movie "the Exorcist". Actually, it's Greta Thunberg at the UN meeting.

scarface

Tonight, Wall Street slid as push for Trump impeachment gains ground.

U.S. stocks fell in volatile trade on Tuesday, giving the S&P 500 its biggest daily drop in a month, as a push by some Democrats for the impeachment of U.S. President Donald Trump gained momentum.

Bloomberg reports that PredictIt, a prediction market for political and financial events, is now giving President Trump a 42 percent chance of being impeached by the end of the year in light of allegations that he pressured Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden's son in exchange for military aid.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 141.68 points, or 0.53%, to 26,808.31, the S&P 500 lost 25.15 points, or 0.84%, to 2,966.63 and the Nasdaq Composite dropped 118.84 points, or 1.46%, to 7,993.63.

Note that my message about alternative strategies was very timely indeed.
I bought some short ETF on the s&p 500 a few days ago. I think the US markets are going to keep sliding since there are too many uncertainties. We could see a s&p 500 at 2900 points or below pretty soon if there is noise.

In this context, gold is still going up.

scarface

A quick insight into the markets...
The cac 40 is currently crumbling, losing 1.5%. It seems the bears are back.
https://www.boursorama.com/bourse/indices/cours/1rPCAC/

scarface

Today, I'm going to talk about the financial markets.

The Dow just dropped 200 points after weakest manufacturing reading in 10 years.

Stocks dropped on Tuesday, the first trading day of the fourth quarter, as disappointing manufacturing data stoked worries over the U.S. economy.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average traded 206 lower, or 0.8% after rallying more than 100 points earlier in the day. The S&P 500 slid to trade 0.6% lower. The Nasdaq Composite was down 0.4%.

The Institute for Supply Management said U.S. manufacturing activity contracted to its worst level since June 2009. ISM Chair Timothy Fiore pointed to trade weighing on manufacturing in a statement.

Shares of manufacturers such as Honeywell, 3M and Eaton rolled over on the data release, trading at least 1.6% lower.

U.S. and Chinese negotiators are expected to meet next week in Washington to discuss a potential trade deal between the world's largest economies.

Treasury yields reversed earlier gains as investors dumped equities in favor of the traditionally safer U.S. bonds. The 10-year yield was down at 1.654% after rising to around 1.75%. The 2-year rate dropped to 1.57% from about 1.68%.

shadow.97 and usmangujjar must be wondering what we can do in this context.
Well, I advise you to stay bearish on equities. You can still bet on gold too.

scarface

Today, I'm going to give you a brief overview of the financial markets.

European stocks are falling across the board, in tune with their Asian counterparts, after a weak US manufacturing release magnified concerns over the health of the global economy.
The cac 40 is losing 1,56%: https://www.boursorama.com/bourse/indices/cours/1rPCAC/

I know that aa1234779 likes good photos. We already have the photos of Usman, Daniil, shadow.97 and iih somewhere on the forum. And we are still waiting for the photos of Vasudev and humbert. We don't India and Texas very well, even if we have watched Indian movies and the series Dallas.
If you don't remember the series Dallas, with Bobby and JR,that was broadcast in the 90's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfHcCLn4pk
Here is a little photo of me and my father taken in June 2018 in the park of Saint Cloud. My father bet on gold in 2016 and this year he had a performance of 80% with 2 swing trades, which is a bit exceptional. He looks old on this photo and yet he was only 70. He died of lung cancer last December.

scarface

Note that I recommend buying the biotech Pharnext, listed as Alpha on the French market.

scarface

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 02, 2019, 01:38 PM
Here is a little photo of me and my father taken in June 2018 in the park of Saint Cloud. My father bet on gold in 2016 and this year he had a performance of 80% with 2 swing trades, which is a bit exceptional. He looks old on this photo and yet he was only 70. He died of lung cancer last December.

I know the feeling. My mother passed away Sept 2019 (10 days ago from today's date). She was 91. I take comfort in the fact that she lived a full life. My father died of pancreatic cancer back in 1998.

scarface

Tonight, I went to a restaurant with some friends. I couldn't be on the forum to post messages about a new movie or hold a conference.
Tomorrow, some new versions of windows 7 and windows 10 will be available. If you have special wishes, it's high time you made your requests.
I hope some of you downloaded the new version of We. The revolution. For now, I'm not planning to do new repacks.

Note that the s&p 500 ended lower tonight. In the current context, I think the stock markets could go down again.

We have seen that humbert lost a relative. Well, We are now in the same boat and must keep a firm hold of the oars and row together if we are to gain speed and be able to reach our destination. I and humbert are in the same situation now.  But it would not be true to say that there is nobody around us. The users of the forum are there. I know Maher, Vasudev and aa1234779 are reading the messages.
Maybe one day we will be together somewhere.

scarface

Today, I'm going to give you an overview of the stock markets.

The European financial markets are plunging today amid trade uncertainty and slower global growth. The cac 40 is losing 1.07%.

In this context, many banks are cutting jobs.
Lately, Global banking giant HSBC plans to axe up to 10,000 jobs in a cost-cutting drive as it grapples with falling interest rates, Brexit and the U.S.-China trade war, reports said on Monday, joining a list of big banks that have announced sweeping job cuts in recent months.

Reached by Fortune, the UK-based, Asia-focused bank declined comment on the reported cuts. The Financial Times first reported HSBC would slash about 4% of its global workforce of around 235,000.

The layoffs, which could be announced with third-quarter results on Oct. 28, are part of broader restructuring efforts being worked on by Noel Quinn, who took over as interim CEO in August when predecessor John Flint departed after just 18 months in the job.

It is part of a new wave of deep job cuts hitting the banking industry, which has also been affected by weak investment bank revenues, low economic growth in Europe and negative interest rates across much of the Eurozone. Add it up, and the banks are finding it increasingly hard to make a decent lending margin.

Deutsche Bank unveiled plans in July to cut 18,000 staff as part of a deep restructuring while France’s third biggest bank Societe Generale has announced 1,600 job losses. Germany’s Commerzbank also plans to shed thousands of jobs.