• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Financial news and stock markets.

Started by scarface, February 26, 2015, 08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Here is a brief overview of the stock markets.

After yesterday's sell-off the cac 40 is headed lower in the current context, losing 0.92%. I expect the s&p 500 to keep coming down in the coming days or weeks too.

Smcp tumbled 22% in 2 days due to the coronavirus and the closing of shops in China. Losses are now expected.
There could a rebound of the stock price on the short term, but in the middle term the stock remains in a downtrend.

scarface

Today, I'm going to give you a quick insight into the stock markets.

Those who bought some smcp stocks, as advise above, are currently earning big bucks: the stock is up 8%. I bought some stocks yesterday and I sold them. If you haven't bought smcp yesterday, I don't advise you to buy today since the situation in Asia and the expected losses don't give a significant upside potential to this stock.
The US stock markets are going to open higher today. However, if there could be a rebound in the short term, I'm still bearish for the s&p 500, with a first target at 3050 points.

scarface

Note that Shares of Chesapeake Energy Corp. CHK, are tumbling 22.26% in the NYSE, after the oil and gas company reported a narrower than expected fourth-quarter loss but revenue that fell more than expected.
This doesn't bode well for the sector of the American shale oil.

Chesapeake Energy is almost bankrupt. The company swung to a net loss of $346 million, or 18 cents a share, from a profit of $576 million, or 57 cents a share, in the year-ago period. Excluding non-recurring items, the adjusted loss per share was 4 cents, beating the FactSet consensus of 6 cents. Revenue fell 31% to $1.93 billion, missing the FactSet consensus of $2.02 billion, as oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids (NGL) revenue fell 44% to $969 million. Average daily production rose to 477,000 barrels of oil equivalent (BOE) from 464,000 BOE, while average prices fell. The company is reducing its 2020 capital expenditure budget by about 30% to $1.3 billion to $1.6 billion from $2.25 billion spent in 2019. The stock had already tumbled 25.5% over the past three months, while the SPDR Energy Select Sector ETF XLE has dropped 16.8% and the S&P 500 has slipped 0.4%.

scarface

I'm going to give you a brief overview of the stock markets.

As coronavirus keeps spreading in new countries and notably in the middle East and the US, the WHO is now speaking of pandemy. If the coronavirus isn’t contained, it could trigger a severe global recession according to economists.
In this context the world stock markets are crumbling: the cac 40 is tumbling 1.60% as the s&p 500 was down yesterday after an aborted rebound. The next target could be 2800 points for the s&p 500.
Note that Renault keeps sliding. Fnac is the best winner, up 7%.
If you were shorting the markets, I advise you to reduce your position anyway. That's what I did this morning, I sold some dsp5, up 5%. But I don't advise you to buy anything for the moment, it's too early. In all likelihood, with the current uncertainties, stock markets may go lower.

scarface

The cac 40 is now tumbling 3,33%. I think you can slowly begin to buy even though we may have not reached the bottom of the cellar yet.
Societe generale might be interesting on the short term, should the markets rebound. Or course we stay bearish on a longer term horizon.

scarface

The coronavirus crack is still underway (the stock markets are currently going up though).

scarface

Well, I advised you to buy societe Generale this afternoon and it turned out I was probably wrong on the short term. The s&p 500 crashed after the closing of the European market and tomorrow we can expect an opening for the cac 40 below 5400 points. Actually I bought some Societe Generale stocks at 26.90â,¬ but I still have some dsp5 too so I'll keep decreasing my bearish positions as long as the markets is going down. This crash is a real bonanza.
This afternoon, Pierre Sabatier was talking. He's always good in his forecast. And he was saying that despite the recent correction, the US stock market is still high actually. And that the fallouts of the coronavirus will be pretty negative for the economy. So he didn't rule out he possibility of another 10% correction on these levels... When he was speaking the s&p 500 was at 3050 points, so maybe we'll see the 2800 points I was was talking about a few days ago. The s&p 500 future are currently showing 2950 points.

Video here (in French): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqUf9h8yk2Y

scarface

Tomorrow's European market opening could be another bloodshed according to the ig markets futures. We'll probably have a terrible crack during the first trading hour. Maybe there will be trading opportunities then. I'll keep you posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPs2qN8FuI

scarface

Note that I sold all my short positions on the s&p 500 and doubled my position on societe generale. Now I'm waiting.
If you are buying, be careful. It seems the markets are pricing a depression due to the coronavirus. This virus must be very nasty.
Therefore the correction might not be over. Note that I don't advise you to do a "all in" either. I just invested one third of my cash in Socgen and for the moment I'm losing since I bought the first position yesterday (the cac40 is tumbling 3.8%! ).

If I had not bought the dsp5 gradually, I would have lost a lot of money. By averaging down, I could earn money, roughly 3000â,¬, but when I think I had a virtual loss of 10000â,¬ one week ago, I can say I went back a long way. If I had kept all my positions and sold them today, instead of selling them gradually, I would have earnt more than 10000 instead of 3000. Unfortunately, I sold only 1/3 of my initial position today. (700x 33.5â,¬) But It's easy to say that now. I sold a first winning position at...27â,¬ at the beginning of the week to reduce it and get cash. I don't know if I was expecting a correction of the stock market any longer. It was pretty steep anyway. If some of you have stocks, well it's high time you bought a coffin. But you can come and tell us your strategy if you are losing money.
You see, Bernard Arnault lost 15 Billion$ with the markets since the beginning of the year. Probably more today since LVMH is losing 3%. But I earnt money since the beginning of the year. So I'm earning more than a billionaire.

Note that tonight, I'm going to present another recipe with a famous white wine.

How to turn 300 000$ into 5 cents?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxAguzN5OJQ

scarface

Note that the Dow Jones is currently down 969 points. Since Trump was counting on a good stock market to get re elected, Bernie Sanders might be the next president of the US.

In this context, even gold is crashing. It is currently tumbling 4%. It's a real stampede. The investors want their cash back to buy a good bottle of wine and a saucisson.
It turns out that it's Howard Marks who was right (one month ago, "odds are not in investors' favor"). For Dalio, it was "cash is trash": he was all-in on equities and gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyESSFFVUZY