• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

scarface

No. In a few days, some knights will give him a letter with 10 euros. If you want to buy his software, he might be willing to give you his address too.

Vasudev

At the moment, 10Euros is too much for me. But, willing to pay when i save some cash and then buy it.

scarface

Well, I finally tested the piece of software made by Harkaz. For those who are new on the forum, harkaz is a computer expert. There have been some articles about him on the internet and he's also present on the forum Ryanvm.net.
For years I have made a French updatepack for xp over there too, but I left it and after a few years of absence on the internet, I discovered this forum.

When I decompressed the archive of harkaz my antivirus found something. Since I was using the x64 version I didn't care. It's probably a false positive anyway.

To use rebase it it's quite simple, even though harkaz made a very detailed tutorial which is included in the archive.
You just have to launch RunAsTI64.exe, go to the path of the exe and then use the command line "rebase -online", if you want to reduce a running system.

After a few minutes, the huge winsxs will be trimmed down.
On my system this folder lost 1,5 gb and I had already removed a few Gb of stuff.

If you want you can contact harkaz and buy his program. And you can use it as an opportunity to make a donation to maher too.

humbert

I'm still not too clear what the program is all about.

scarface

To put it simply, the program of H can delete the useless stuff of winsxs. You can send him a banknote of 10 â,¬ to buy his program.
Ps: the cac 40 was gaining 1% at the opening, 0% now. Perhaps a new plunge within sight.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 04, 2016, 05:16 AM
I'm still not too clear what the program is all about.
Its similar to dism /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase . Basically it cleans up unwanted or backup copies of installed updates to reduce SxS size.

humbert

I wasn't aware of that command so I'll check it out later. So far I've been using CCleaner with updated  winapp2.ini files.

didy

Quote from: harkaz on December 28, 2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks for your support, Vasudev. Much appreciated.

Yes, you could compress these folders with NTFS compression. The Sessions folder in \windows\servicing\ could be compressed as well (resetbase does this in Windows 8.1+ actually).

Hello,

I tried to set NTFS compression on folder WinSxS (14,0 GB) on Win 7, but windows wrote Access denied,
have you tried compress  folder WinSxS ?
thanks

scarface

QuoteHello,

I tried to set NTFS compression on folder WinSxS (14,0 GB) on Win 7, but windows wrote Access denied,
have you tried compress  folder WinSxS ?
thanks

Hello didy,
looking for a solution, I stumbled upon this:
http://dandar3.blogspot.fr/2013/01/how-to-ntfs-compress-windows-winsxs.html
and the answer must be here too: 
http://dandar3.blogspot.fr/2012/07/case-of-breaking-winsxs-folder-security.html
If I were you I would make a clean sweep, but I would not compress it.

Maybe harkaz will come here later to tell us what he thinks.