• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

As I see it, a lite version of Win7 x64 shouldn't take up so much RAM. I'm thinking if you've got 8GB or more you might be able to skip the pagefile.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 14, 2016, 05:11 AM
As I see it, a lite version of Win7 x64 shouldn't take up so much RAM. I'm thinking if you've got 8GB or more you might be able to skip the pagefile.
>6-8GB RAM generally don't need page file. A novice user with 16GB RAM and PCIe SSD would need PF, if they keep on installing SW w/o unchecking adwares and other bloatwares.

Vasudev

Today I slipstreamed both x64 version of w10 and converted it to ESD format and ISO size is 2.94GB comprising of both updated versions of Home and Pro version. All thanks to @Fernando of Win-raid.

humbert

With respect to whether or not pagefiles are necessary, of course I refer to users like ourselves who have the horse sense to decrappify their recently-bought computers. Those who can barely use a computer don't have to worry -- their systems come with pagefiles pre-installed as well as tons of bloatware.

When I received my lappy I didn't even bother to decrappify - I simply wiped away their pre-loaded version and installed my own.

As for your obsession with slipstreaming - I may have asked you this before, but if not then tell me why don't you simply download the updates and not bother with slipstreaming? Even if your monthly data download and/or speed is limited, it seem to me better to download updates and not a full DVD.

What do you do with the DVD? Do you wipe and reinstall or can you simply update and avoid the hassle of activating and reconfiguring?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 18, 2016, 03:49 AM
With respect to whether or not pagefiles are necessary, of course I refer to users like ourselves who have the horse sense to decrappify their recently-bought computers. Those who can barely use a computer don't have to worry -- their systems come with pagefiles pre-installed as well as tons of bloatware.

When I received my lappy I didn't even bother to decrappify - I simply wiped away their pre-loaded version and installed my own.

As for your obsession with slipstreaming - I may have asked you this before, but if not then tell me why don't you simply download the updates and not bother with slipstreaming? Even if your monthly data download and/or speed is limited, it seem to me better to download updates and not a full DVD.

What do you do with the DVD? Do you wipe and reinstall or can you simply update and avoid the hassle of activating and reconfiguring?
I feel that offline updates are optional, downloading updates for one/two computer(s) is fine, but I download them so that I can help my friends (or myself perhaps) who haven't got ultra fast connection and need an updated system w/o any hassle.
I started using usb boot method and its freaking fast, btw I bought a 32GB USB3 flash drive and so far only 4GB is used which includes Hiren's restored edition,Win PE 8.1/10 and KRD 10.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 18, 2016, 09:57 AM
I feel that offline updates are optional, downloading updates for one/two computer(s) is fine, but I download them so that I can help my friends (or myself perhaps) who haven't got ultra fast connection and need an updated system w/o any hassle.

Now it makes perfect sense. One painfully slow download accomodates many other computers

Quote from: Vasudev on July 18, 2016, 09:57 AM
I started using usb boot method and its freaking fast, btw I bought a 32GB USB3 flash drive and so far only 4GB is used which includes Hiren's restored edition,Win PE 8.1/10 and KRD 10.

Hirens restored? Has Hirens been updated or do you refer to Proteus' enhanced version? As I've mentioned many times, Hirens is great only if you're using very old computer and are stuck with XP. If your system is newer, forget about it.

Vasudev

Using the proteus version. If you've post haswell cpus that doesn't support XP Use this
It uses w8.1 so Xp not working on older system is out of the question and its super fast and best part is, there are 2 version x32 w8.1 and x64 w10 so if you want HBCD or HBDVD to work, use w8.1 PE otherwise w10. There are some preinstalled utilities too that are likely found in HBCDs.
Alternatively, you can save the trouble of translating Russian and directly download it from my Mega account: https://mega.nz/#!xFZS1DTa!n3gb_ABmYyv1_l0BUZ0-4PVAFIutDZylBJQnJOlhkEg

Vasudev

Hey scarface, you can still compress the ISO using NTlite. Just Load up the extracted image and then right click on OS section -> Recompress. It uses significant amount of CPU and disk activity that cranked up my lappie fans. It took 45mins to complete.

scarface

Well, do it and tell me the space you saved...
Compared to the original iso, it's already 1gb smaller (practically 3gb saved when installed).
I wont use it anyway, Im going to keep win7, even on my new computer, there is no improvement besides dx12 that would prompt me to use it.

humbert

Vasu ->  Thanks for the tip on that rescue ISO. I still have to test it but it looks pretty good. It even has several programs in it to put in on a bootable USB. BTW, I looked around and I noticed what appears to be a newer version of Proteus Hirens. I'll check it out.