• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on July 23, 2016, 09:46 PM
Well, do it and tell me the space you saved...
Compared to the original iso, it's already 1gb smaller (practically 3gb saved when installed).
I wont use it anyway, Im going to keep win7, even on my new computer, there is no improvement besides dx12 that would prompt me to use it.
Only thing that attracted me to w10, was IO was snappy whilst on older HW than w7 which felt heavier than Metro. Also note that being a WP user, I got used to some telemetry and Metro UI so I felt the need to upgrade to w10. Now, telemetries are disabled as of now.

DemoUser

Big thanks to @scarface for the windows 7 64 bit version he is making they are perfect updated with the latest updates and software possible i love it so thank you again for the great work

usmangujjar

hi scarface, somewhere I shown interest in your lite Windows 7.
But don't downloaded yet. It will be more better if you add a list of removed/disabled items, added tweaks & integrated updates.
I am busy somewhere, sorry if I reply late. Thanks.

There is none worthy of worship except ALLAH,
Muhammad (PBUH) is the Messenger of ALLAH.

scarface

Busy somewhere? Late? What could you be up to? I think you are hiding a terrible secret. Maybe a culinar stay at Vasudev's mansion?
As for windows 7, well, I already made a good presentation. I'm not paid for that.
Except the games and the original wallpapers (the grand canyon was replaced by the pyramids of Gizah), I guess you couldn't tell the difference. There is no printer/wia/mdm driver, and the biggest fonts were removed. If you are looking for the version of the new embedded drivers, you can find them in the windows/inf folders (oemxxx.inf) - the batch file in the presentation message shows what is integrated. Finally, most of the space saved is due to the use of harkaz's piece of software(rebase), several gigas of useless files were removed from the winsxs folder.

usmangujjar

Its okay, I'll download and test you version.
I think me and you are from few of them who still love Windows 7 on the forum.
After Windows 7 me choice will be 10, if I have good hardware.

There is none worthy of worship except ALLAH,
Muhammad (PBUH) is the Messenger of ALLAH.

Vasudev

I still recommend Win 7 for users who prefer stability over feature packed OS'es.  Now. I moved to W10 on all devs incl. phones, PCs and laptops.
With W10, sometimes there's a hit or a miss on most used apps. You knwo, W10 still likes older HW than new, its fast on older PCs too.

Shadow.97

Quote from: usmangujjar on August 11, 2016, 07:27 AM
Its okay, I'll download and test you version.
I think me and you are from few of them who still love Windows 7 on the forum.
After Windows 7 me choice will be 10, if I have good hardware.
Windows 7 is an OS that I will always have close to heart.
Same with Windows XP.
The GUI atleast.
Especially the Zune theme for Windows xp. I honestly wish I could still have that GUI for my desktop.

It was just so simple. Now it is so simple that it is hard. :s

humbert

In my experience Windows 10 works better than Win 7 or XP. I've never encountered an app that won't work with it. Most of the useless garbage that MS adds can be removed or at least disabled. For you gamers, if you want DX12 you must upgrade to 10. And have any of you guys checked out the new Bash shell? It's pretty neat. You can even run some (but not all) Linux apps on Windows.

As good as XP or 7 were in their day, the hard fact is that upgrades are inevitable. Sooner or later you've got to bite the bullet.

Vasudev

@Humbert: Are you seeing  older service entries in services.msc. Some of them  include Contact data,sync data etc. I'll try a hard reset if you aren't having similar issue.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 16, 2016, 06:20 PM
@Humbert: Are you seeing  older service entries in services.msc. Some of them  include Contact data,sync data etc. I'll try a hard reset if you aren't having similar issue.

I only enable services that are necessary for the OS or have something to do with programs I use. Even if you enable them I don't think they use up so many resources.