• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Speaking of Windows, have any of you guys tried the Creator's Update? Since upgrades sooner or later become inevitable, I decided to download and install the update. After once again disabling many new "features" eliminating all their tracking and telemetry with O&O ShutUp, I finally got it to run OK. It's got some new stuff for games including a "Game Mode" that directs all resources to the game. The paint app now supports 3D as well as some other stuff.

I say go for it. Download it, clean it up and check it out.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 13, 2017, 06:43 AM
Speaking of Windows, have any of you guys tried the Creator's Update? Since upgrades sooner or later become inevitable, I decided to download and install the update. After once again disabling many new "features" eliminating all their tracking and telemetry with O&O ShutUp, I finally got it to run OK. It's got some new stuff for games including a "Game Mode" that directs all resources to the game. The paint app now supports 3D as well as some other stuff.

I say go for it. Download it, clean it up and check it out.
Did you perform in place upgrade or clean install?

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on April 13, 2017, 07:34 AM

This is an upgrade - no clean install. Eventually they'll make it available on Windows Update, people like you and me can grab it right now. Go here and download the upgrade tool - it'll do everything. After installing it and cleaning it up (disable "features" and telemetry with O&O Shutup) it works great. Check it out. Oh, and never forget you can only delay installing upgrading, not skip it completely. Ask anybody trying to run XP on a relatively modern PC.  :)

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 14, 2017, 05:08 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on April 13, 2017, 07:34 AM

This is an upgrade - no clean install. Eventually they'll make it available on Windows Update, people like you and me can grab it right now. Go here and download the upgrade tool - it'll do everything. After installing it and cleaning it up (disable "features" and telemetry with O&O Shutup) it works great. Check it out. Oh, and never forget you can only delay installing upgrading, not skip it completely. Ask anybody trying to run XP on a relatively modern PC.  :)
Yep I will upgrade within a week or two.

humbert

Since the is a Windows component topic, let me post this question here.

Rarely do I ever need to use photoediting software. When I do it's something minor, which is why I just use MSPaint. Once you finish inserting a figure from ribbon at the top (line, arrow, circle etc) how do you edit or delete it? Pressing "Select" and drawing a rectangle around the figure and the delete key gets rid of both the figure and the area in your photo, so that's not it.

Believe it or not, I've looked everywhere on Google for an answer and haven't been able to find one. Any ideas?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 16, 2017, 03:21 AM
Since the is a Windows component topic, let me post this question here.

Rarely do I ever need to use photoediting software. When I do it's something minor, which is why I just use MSPaint. Once you finish inserting a figure from ribbon at the top (line, arrow, circle etc) how do you edit or delete it? Pressing "Select" and drawing a rectangle around the figure and the delete key gets rid of both the figure and the area in your photo, so that's not it.

Believe it or not, I've looked everywhere on Google for an answer and haven't been able to find one. Any ideas?
As I understand your question you're looking for the functionality "Layers" which to my knowledge is not implemented into Paint.
If you put an arrow on a new layer, you can move it, resize it and such without altering the "original"(background image).

If this is what you mean; i suggest Paint.net.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 17, 2017, 07:55 AM
As I understand your question you're looking for the functionality "Layers" which to my knowledge is not implemented into Paint.
If you put an arrow on a new layer, you can move it, resize it and such without altering the "original"(background image).
If this is what you mean; i suggest Paint.net.

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded Paint.net and I'll check it out. I'm not sure if the problem is lack of support for layers. The figure I drew (circle, arrow, line etc) is available on the ribbon at the top. You can edit it all you want until you click somewhere else on the picture. After you do that I see no way to edit or remove it. To me this makes no sense.

scarface

Vasudev

humbert

Hey Scarface -> Congrats on your lite version of Windows 7. It's lean and mean and works quite well under VMWare. Just one thing. It was incredibly difficult to activate. I threw every KMS activator I had at it and nothing worked. Even Daz Loader said "operating system not supported". Fortunately I found and old Windows 7 activator which did work. Strange thing is it first gives you a boot menu: Windows 7 or XE loader. XE loader is the one that works. I wish there were some way to get rid of that menu and boot straight to the loader.

Other than that, like I said, it's great.