• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 07, 2018, 03:53 PM
If you don't use EFI, its good. I'm forced to use EFI since my BIOS takes 20-30 sec to startup with legacy and with efi it starts/boots any OS under 10 sec.
If you want uefi boot support, disable csm and change boot mode to UEFI for pure EFI based OS installs from Windows,Linux or OS X.

Are you referring to flashdrives or to the hard drive you normally boot from? My HD's are formatted for GPT (not MBR). So far I haven't been able to boot from a flashdrive with CSM enabled. How do you do it?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 08, 2018, 06:14 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 07, 2018, 03:53 PM
If you don't use EFI, its good. I'm forced to use EFI since my BIOS takes 20-30 sec to startup with legacy and with efi it starts/boots any OS under 10 sec.
If you want uefi boot support, disable csm and change boot mode to UEFI for pure EFI based OS installs from Windows,Linux or OS X.

Are you referring to flashdrives or to the hard drive you normally boot from? My HD's are formatted for GPT (not MBR). So far I haven't been able to boot from a flashdrive with CSM enabled. How do you do it?
That's what I said earlier. For pure EFI based booting, CSM needs to be disabled. On desktop boards, BIOS options are easier to understand, on laptops they're a nightmare!

aa1234779

Quote from: Vasudev on June 22, 2018, 06:33 PM
@humbert and @scarface: There is Win 10 PE Hiren's BootCD which is EFI compatible. https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Thanks a lot.
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

Vasudev

Quote from: aa1234779 on August 09, 2018, 03:21 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 22, 2018, 06:33 PM
@humbert and @scarface: There is Win 10 PE Hiren's BootCD which is EFI compatible. https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Thanks a lot.
No problem.
Humbert: Were you successful in Pure EFI boot through flash drive USB2/3?

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 09, 2018, 11:22 AM

No. On my desktop when I put in a flashdrive and reboot using the mobo's boot menu, it gives me the option of using "UEFI:Flashdrive" or just "Flashdrive". So far I have been unable to get any to boot up using the UEFI option. I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Any ideas?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 10, 2018, 05:39 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 09, 2018, 11:22 AM

No. On my desktop when I put in a flashdrive and reboot using the mobo's boot menu, it gives me the option of using "UEFI:Flashdrive" or just "Flashdrive". So far I have been unable to get any to boot up using the UEFI option. I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Any ideas?
Which ISO are you trying? For starters, use YUMI EFI to install Ubuntu or any Linux distro ISO, Windows 10 installer and Hirens PE. Let me know how it was. Fat32 is a must on YUMI EFI.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 10, 2018, 02:40 PM

Which ISO are you trying? For starters, use YUMI EFI to install Ubuntu or any Linux distro ISO, Windows 10 installer and Hirens PE. Let me know how it was. Fat32 is a must on YUMI EFI.[/quote]

I just looked at the latest version of Yumi and I see no option to use UEFI instead of MBR. This option is available on Rufus, but I'm still having trouble when I select "UEFI flashdrive" from the boot menu on the motherboard.

For some reason I can't get my copy of Windows to update to 1803. The big problem with Windows update isn't so much that it'll push updates by force, but that it'll continue doing so forever even if the update fails and makes no attempt to fix the problem. I had to do the unthinkable - shut off updates entirely using Windows10 Privacy. Let me ask you -- where do you download updates and add them manually?

I might mention that Scarface's copy of Redstone 4 did install. The problem is I have to reinstall all these apps despite the fact that their files weren't deleted during the update process.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 16, 2018, 07:26 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 10, 2018, 02:40 PM

Which ISO are you trying? For starters, use YUMI EFI to install Ubuntu or any Linux distro ISO, Windows 10 installer and Hirens PE. Let me know how it was. Fat32 is a must on YUMI EFI.

I just looked at the latest version of Yumi and I see no option to use UEFI instead of MBR. This option is available on Rufus, but I'm still having trouble when I select "UEFI flashdrive" from the boot menu on the motherboard.

For some reason I can't get my copy of Windows to update to 1803. The big problem with Windows update isn't so much that it'll push updates by force, but that it'll continue doing so forever even if the update fails and makes no attempt to fix the problem. I had to do the unthinkable - shut off updates entirely using Windows10 Privacy. Let me ask you -- where do you download updates and add them manually?

I might mention that Scarface's copy of Redstone 4 did install. The problem is I have to reinstall all these apps despite the fact that their files weren't deleted during the update process.
I download ISOs from here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
Manual updates from here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4343909
Check W10 update history: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4343909
As for EFI booting, you must use YUMI UEFI BETA version to accomplish true EFI capsule booting via USB drives.
For disabling Win updates permanently use WUMT wrapper script from majorgeeks.
You can download my ISO  or scarface posted to upgrade to 1803(Ether one will do and is much better than MSFT ISO). Do a macrium reflect Image before upgrade.
Simply mount the ISO and do the following:

• Disconnect from WiFi or ethernet
  • Remove all external accessories
  • Wait for 10-30 mins and let it finish up
  • Install vc++ runtimes & dx runtimes
I recommend sticking with current updates since cumulative updates for 1803 is nearly as large as older releases from 1607,1703 and 1709. On 1803, too many problems than fixes.
I am sticking to 1803 till its EOL.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on August 16, 2018, 03:46 PM
Quote from: humbert on August 16, 2018, 07:15 AM
Is this the newer, lighter version of Windows 10 1803 you said you were coming out with? I downloaded one a few days ago and I found it somewhat bloated.
Whatever you do, please use the 64bit versions of Sumatra, VLC, and whatever else you put there. And please don't add that Classic Shell garbage, I hate it with a passion.

It is a bit "bloated" indeed. It's the case for the windows 10 enterprise edition too. That's why I put classic shell, you don't see the ads and the games that are installed without your knowing it.I could not stand the tiles too.
In some firms, they are already installing Libreoffice, which is totally free, instead of microsoft office. As for windows 10, I'm sure they are going to lose market shares too.
For the 64 bit version of VLC and sumatra I'm not sure there is a big difference, I'll look at that later.

Note that the movie Morgan is available on the forum: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1023.msg29422#msg29422
PS: the movie is a bit violent, and not meant for most users of the forum.
I removed those bloated UWP apps using NTLite. As for VLC and Sumatra they recommend using x64 builds.
@humbert: Use AiOBoot from Majorgeeks. It can dual boot UEFI and Legacy w/o needing to burn a ISO twice.

humbert

Scarface: Do you have a link for the new Windows 10? That mega.nz site wants us to download and install their program to download the file.

Vasu: Thanks for the tip on AIOBoot. I'll look into it.

Does anybody know a way to upgrade a PC to Windows 1803 without having to use Windows Update? Every attempt I've made so far with Windows Update has failed. What's even worse, Micro$haft continues to push the update relentlessly without making even the slightest attempt to fix the problem. I tried using Scarface's Windows 10 1803 (the old version). It installed, but NOT as an update. The problem is this forces me to reinstall and reconfigure all apps and settings. I don't have much time for this sort of thing. To make matters worse, when you search Google for a solution there are all kinds of different ones, and so far none I've tried actually work.