• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 19, 2018, 07:20 AM
Scarface: Do you have a link for the new Windows 10? That mega.nz site wants us to download and install their program to download the file.

Vasu: Thanks for the tip on AIOBoot. I'll look into it.

Does anybody know a way to upgrade a PC to Windows 1803 without having to use Windows Update? Every attempt I've made so far with Windows Update has failed. What's even worse, Micro$haft continues to push the update relentlessly without making even the slightest attempt to fix the problem. I tried using Scarface's Windows 10 1803 (the old version). It installed, but NOT as an update. The problem is this forces me to reinstall and reconfigure all apps and settings. I don't have much time for this sort of thing. To make matters worse, when you search Google for a solution there are all kinds of different ones, and so far none I've tried actually work.
Try this from Mega https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/megasync.html
I use it on Linux. You can use Linux/Windows version.
As for frequent update failures, use Dism++ to clear out the Win update caches and other bloatwares. You can use a ISO(mine or scarface) to upgrade to latest version with in-place migration that keeps all your files and settings. Only thing that breaks win 10 v1803 is OOSP or Win 10 Privacy, they break it.
If you're confused about using Dism++, you can ask me or I can use Anydesk remote desktop app(teamviewer 13 is buggy as hell)  to clear out all junk blocking your update. I use Dism++. Before proceeding make a Macrium Reflect backup just to be safe.

scarface

Do you have a link for the new Windows 10? That mega.nz site wants us to download and install their program to download the file.
You can use chrome, you won't have to install mega sync. And I can't give you another link, my connection is too slow.

Does anybody know a way to upgrade a PC to Windows 1803 without having to use Windows Update? The problem is this forces me to reinstall and reconfigure all apps and settings. I don't have much time for this sort of thing. To make matters worse, when you search Google for a solution there are all kinds of different ones, and so far none I've tried actually work.
You can download and install the version above.
If you don't want to reinstall some apps, you can put them in the $OEM$ folder and they will be installed automatically. (You can replace vlc and sumatra with x64 versions, as you requested earlier)
But you have to edit install.bat. Note that you can find some of these programs on the forum. If the program is not a silent installer, you need the correct switch.
For example some lines for install.bat:
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\Silverlight.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\cdisplay.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\firefox.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\flashaio.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\Office2007.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\vlca.exe /S
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\nsis-3.03-setup.exe /S
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\xnview.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\handbrake.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\Sumatra.exe

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on August 19, 2018, 11:47 AM
Do you have a link for the new Windows 10? That mega.nz site wants us to download and install their program to download the file.
You can use chrome, you won't have to install mega sync. And I can't give you another link, my connection is too slow.

Does anybody know a way to upgrade a PC to Windows 1803 without having to use Windows Update? The problem is this forces me to reinstall and reconfigure all apps and settings. I don't have much time for this sort of thing. To make matters worse, when you search Google for a solution there are all kinds of different ones, and so far none I've tried actually work.
You can download and install the version above.
If you don't want to reinstall some apps, you can put them in the $OEM$ folder and they will be installed automatically. (You can replace vlc and sumatra with x64 versions, as you requested earlier)
But you have to edit install.bat. Note that you can find some of these programs on the forum. If the program is not a silent installer, you need the correct switch.
For example some lines for install.bat:
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\Silverlight.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\cdisplay.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\firefox.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\flashaio.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\Office2007.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\vlca.exe /S
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\nsis-3.03-setup.exe /S
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\xnview.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\handbrake.exe
%systemroot%\setup\scripts\Sumatra.exe

I hate chrome, so MegaSync app works fine. You can share/delete/upload anything directly.

humbert

It was precisely with Megasync that I was able to download Scarface's new copy of Windows 10 Redstone 4. I installed it on a virtual machine because I don't like the idea of using someone else's downloader to get something. Sadly with these guys there's just no other way. I think I'll check out Redstone 4 on a virtual machine too. Why? No matter what I do I've been unable to upgrade my desktop to 1803. Windows Updates forcibly (and continuously) downloads the update and attempts to install it. Everything is OK until it hits 75%, then after a reboot error it says "Restoring previous version of Windows". Then it tries again and again, over and over, simply repeating the mistake making no attempt to fix it. When I try to install 1803 over my existing version (1709) using a Windows ISO, all it does is install the thing fresh. All apps have to reinstalled and reset manually, which is a time consuming process.

What I did was install StopUpdate10 from Majorgeeks until I find some way to fix this problem. Hopefully I won't have to resort to a fresh install. Incidentally, I was able to upgrade my lappie, it's the desktop that won't upgrade, for some reason.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 22, 2018, 06:27 AM
It was precisely with Megasync that I was able to download Scarface's new copy of Windows 10 Redstone 4. I installed it on a virtual machine because I don't like the idea of using someone else's downloader to get something. Sadly with these guys there's just no other way. I think I'll check out Redstone 4 on a virtual machine too. Why? No matter what I do I've been unable to upgrade my desktop to 1803. Windows Updates forcibly (and continuously) downloads the update and attempts to install it. Everything is OK until it hits 75%, then after a reboot error it says "Restoring previous version of Windows". Then it tries again and again, over and over, simply repeating the mistake making no attempt to fix it. When I try to install 1803 over my existing version (1709) using a Windows ISO, all it does is install the thing fresh. All apps have to reinstalled and reset manually, which is a time consuming process.

What I did was install StopUpdate10 from Majorgeeks until I find some way to fix this problem. Hopefully I won't have to resort to a fresh install. Incidentally, I was able to upgrade my lappie, it's the desktop that won't upgrade, for some reason.
Can you provide the PC specs?
Disconnect it from internet before/upgrade for 100% success. I think its some drivers/AV interference. WD kills most MSFT SW thinking its a virus. Its aggressive.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 22, 2018, 04:18 PM

This is an Asus Maximus VII Hero with an Intel i7-4790K processor. 24GB DDR3 Ram. Drive C is Western Digital NVMe 256GB, D is WD magnetic 1.5 GB.

Disconnect it from internet before/upgrade for 100% success. I think its some drivers/AV interference. WD kills most MSFT SW thinking its a virus. Its aggressive.

I've unplugged the LAN cable from the board. I've also shut down Malwarebytes AntiMalware before I hit "check for updates", so the whole thing was downloaded and installed with no antivirus software running. Nothing worked, end results are identical. I don't know what else to do and, if no solution is found, I'll eventually have to do a fresh install.

BTW, I found a better update-stopping program. Go here and grab a copy if needed. It even has a thing that prevents Microsoft from changing of your service settings.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on August 23, 2018, 06:49 AM

This is an Asus Maximus VII Hero with an Intel i7-4790K processor. 24GB DDR3 Ram. Drive C is Western Digital NVMe 256GB, D is WD magnetic 1.5 GB.

I've unplugged the LAN cable from the board. I've also shut down Malwarebytes AntiMalware before I hit "check for updates", so the whole thing was downloaded and installed with no antivirus software running. Nothing worked, end results are identical. I don't know what else to do and, if no solution is found, I'll eventually have to do a fresh install.

BTW, I found a better update-stopping program. Go here and grab a copy if needed. It even has a thing that prevents Microsoft from changing of your service settings.
Use the same thing shipped along WUMT script with offline updater and update disabler and custom scripts as well.
I think its mostly likely your SSD drive being blacklisted by WU. Is it WD Black 2017/2018 edition with Sandisk BicS NAND? Some Toshiba,Intel and other NVMe/SATA SSD are blocked since they black screen Win 10 v1803.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 23, 2018, 11:53 AM
Use the same thing shipped along WUMT script with offline updater and update disabler and custom scripts as well.
I think its mostly likely your SSD drive being blacklisted by WU. Is it WD Black 2017/2018 edition with Sandisk BicS NAND? Some Toshiba,Intel and other NVMe/SATA SSD are blocked since they black screen Win 10 v1803.

My drive C is a WDC WDS256G1X0C-00ENX0  (256 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4). You're saying that somehow the drive itself (or its firmware) are preventing the upgrade to 1803? That doesn't make sense. A drive's job is to store data and retrieve it on demand. Data, as you know, is nothing more than 1's and 0's. Please clarify, this is weird. Incidentally, if you believe this IS indeed the problem, can anything be done?

I should mention than I was able to install 1803 just not as an upgrade. I'd have to reconfigure and reinstall everything from scratch, which is an odious process. After the installation I just wiped and restored 1709 from a backup.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on September 07, 2018, 06:39 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on August 23, 2018, 11:53 AM

My drive C is a WDC WDS256G1X0C-00ENX0  (256 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4). You're saying that somehow the drive itself (or its firmware) are preventing the upgrade to 1803? That doesn't make sense. A drive's job is to store data and retrieve it on demand. Data, as you know, is nothing more than 1's and 0's. Please clarify, this is weird. Incidentally, if you believe this IS indeed the problem, can anything be done?

I should mention than I was able to install 1803 just not as an upgrade. I'd have to reconfigure and reinstall everything from scratch, which is an odious process. After the installation I just wiped and restored 1709 from a backup.
These days a simple drive has more complications. You see the next version Alienware shipped with Intel 600p and Toshiba drives were unbootable on v1803 or even stuck at black screen or complete data corruption rendering all data deleted permanently.
WD Black may not be affected. Check this link https://www.anandtech.com/show/12742/latest-windows-10-version-incompatible-with-intel-ssd-600p
Use anydesk app (Teamviewer alternative) and let me check your windows 10 installation errors. Have you tried installing BIOS updates or cpu microcodes?
Do you have my(or scarface's) W10 ISO, please keep it. We'll try upgrading the hard way by force. So, before proceeding use HBCD PE's Macrium Reflect to backup entire NVMe SSD to your HDD/data drive. Everything will be over in 10 mins.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on September 08, 2018, 03:33 PM
These days a simple drive has more complications. You see the next version Alienware shipped with Intel 600p and Toshiba drives were unbootable on v1803 or even stuck at black screen or complete data corruption rendering all data deleted permanently.

I read the link. Seems unbelievable that a hard drive isn't compatible with an OS when in theory the drive shouldn't care what OS you put on it. Be that as it may, in my case what I've been unable to do is update from Windows Update. At 75% progress when it boots, it says "Undoing Changes" and brings you back to square one.

Use anydesk app (Teamviewer alternative) and let me check your windows 10 installation errors. Have you tried installing BIOS updates or cpu microcodes?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. I just checked my BIOS firmware. I have 3201 installed, but I just found out there's a 3503 available. I just downloaded it, let me install it and see.

Do you have my(or scarface's) W10 ISO, please keep it. We'll try upgrading the hard way by force. So, before proceeding use HBCD PE's Macrium Reflect to backup entire NVMe SSD to your HDD/data drive. Everything will be over in 10 mins.

I ran Scarface's copy of W10 1803 under Virtual Box and it's the Education version, not the Pro version which is what I have. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I can upgrade 1709 with the Education version. Be that as it may, if you know how we can perform a forced upgrade, please let me know because I'd like to do it as soon as possible. Currently I have stopped upgrades, but I can't keep doing this forever.