Author Topic: Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase  (Read 54968 times)

September 08, 2018, 07:33 AM
Reply #190
  • Global Moderator
Use the same thing shipped along WUMT script with offline updater and update disabler and custom scripts as well.
I think its mostly likely your SSD drive being blacklisted by WU. Is it WD Black 2017/2018 edition with Sandisk BicS NAND? Some Toshiba,Intel and other NVMe/SATA SSD are blocked since they black screen Win 10 v1803.

My drive C is a WDC WDS256G1X0C-00ENX0  (256 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4). You're saying that somehow the drive itself (or its firmware) are preventing the upgrade to 1803? That doesn't make sense. A drive's job is to store data and retrieve it on demand. Data, as you know, is nothing more than 1's and 0's. Please clarify, this is weird. Incidentally, if you believe this IS indeed the problem, can anything be done?

I should mention than I was able to install 1803 just not as an upgrade. I'd have to reconfigure and reinstall everything from scratch, which is an odious process. After the installation I just wiped and restored 1709 from a backup.
These days a simple drive has more complications. You see the next version Alienware shipped with Intel 600p and Toshiba drives were unbootable on v1803 or even stuck at black screen or complete data corruption rendering all data deleted permanently.
WD Black may not be affected. Check this link https://www.anandtech.com/show/12742/latest-windows-10-version-incompatible-with-intel-ssd-600p
Use anydesk app (Teamviewer alternative) and let me check your windows 10 installation errors. Have you tried installing BIOS updates or cpu microcodes?
Do you have my(or scarface's) W10 ISO, please keep it. We'll try upgrading the hard way by force. So, before proceeding use HBCD PE's Macrium Reflect to backup entire NVMe SSD to your HDD/data drive. Everything will be over in 10 mins.

September 08, 2018, 11:12 PM
Reply #191
  • Global Moderator
These days a simple drive has more complications. You see the next version Alienware shipped with Intel 600p and Toshiba drives were unbootable on v1803 or even stuck at black screen or complete data corruption rendering all data deleted permanently.

I read the link. Seems unbelievable that a hard drive isn't compatible with an OS when in theory the drive shouldn't care what OS you put on it. Be that as it may, in my case what I've been unable to do is update from Windows Update. At 75% progress when it boots, it says "Undoing Changes" and brings you back to square one.

Use anydesk app (Teamviewer alternative) and let me check your windows 10 installation errors. Have you tried installing BIOS updates or cpu microcodes?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. I just checked my BIOS firmware. I have 3201 installed, but I just found out there's a 3503 available. I just downloaded it, let me install it and see.

Do you have my(or scarface's) W10 ISO, please keep it. We'll try upgrading the hard way by force. So, before proceeding use HBCD PE's Macrium Reflect to backup entire NVMe SSD to your HDD/data drive. Everything will be over in 10 mins.

I ran Scarface's copy of W10 1803 under Virtual Box and it's the Education version, not the Pro version which is what I have. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I can upgrade 1709 with the Education version. Be that as it may, if you know how we can perform a forced upgrade, please let me know because I'd like to do it as soon as possible. Currently I have stopped upgrades, but I can't keep doing this forever.

September 09, 2018, 02:37 AM
Reply #192
  • Global Moderator
I ran Scarface's copy of W10 1803 under Virtual Box and it's the Education version, not the Pro version which is what I have.
I didn't even noticed that I was running the education version instead of the Pro. I'm pretty sure that I chose the Pro when I installed it in vmware, before making a copy of the system.

In October, I'll probably release a version of windows 10 Redstone 5. I'll try to choose the Pro version. In the meantime, maybe you should make a new install with my copy, instead of an upgrade.
And if you have a lot of programs, don't forget that you can put them in the oem folder and add a line in the install.bat to install them automatically (I put some examples in a previous message, see August 19).

Oddly enough, note that the education version seems to be better than the others:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/whats-the-difference-between-windows-10-education/f05e202f-815a-47dc-a641-e3a85e974a0b?auth=1
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:40 AM by scarface »

September 09, 2018, 04:39 AM
Reply #193
  • Global Moderator
@humbert: v1803 is not good. Please make a backup before proceeding. Let me know when you're free.
I found out yesterday that BIOS update can be done through Windows Update. Its a bit risky  though!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:07 AM by Vasudev »

September 10, 2018, 11:09 PM
Reply #194
  • Global Moderator
@humbert: v1803 is not good. Please make a backup before proceeding. Let me know when you're free.
I found out yesterday that BIOS update can be done through Windows Update. Its a bit risky  though!

I agree that v1803 is buggy and frankly I don't really need it. The problem is Windows Updates is incessant and will forcibly try to install it no matter how many times the installation fails. This forces me to shut down updates entirely. It goes without saying this is not something I like to do since most of these updates are security related.

I upgraded the BIOS using the latest firmware from Asus' web site  (dated 28/4/2018) but frankly I haven't had the time to attempt another upgrade. There is no question I'll perform a full backup before proceeding. If this fails then I'll need your help to see if we can forcibly perform the upgrade.

I goes without saying a clean install of 1803 will be a last resort. Reinstalling and reconfiguring everything from scratch is detestable.

BTW, did you say you had a copy of W10 Pro available for download somewhere. Scarface's copy is Education, I refer Pro. This not to mention that I don't think it's possible to upgrade 1709 Pro to 1803 Education.

September 11, 2018, 06:01 AM
Reply #195
  • Global Moderator

I agree that v1803 is buggy and frankly I don't really need it. The problem is Windows Updates is incessant and will forcibly try to install it no matter how many times the installation fails. This forces me to shut down updates entirely. It goes without saying this is not something I like to do since most of these updates are security related.

I upgraded the BIOS using the latest firmware from Asus' web site  (dated 28/4/2018) but frankly I haven't had the time to attempt another upgrade. There is no question I'll perform a full backup before proceeding. If this fails then I'll need your help to see if we can forcibly perform the upgrade.

I goes without saying a clean install of 1803 will be a last resort. Reinstalling and reconfiguring everything from scratch is detestable.

BTW, did you say you had a copy of W10 Pro available for download somewhere. Scarface's copy is Education, I refer Pro. This not to mention that I don't think it's possible to upgrade 1709 Pro to 1803 Education.
I will PM you the link because google web crawlers will take it down. Its a multi-edition containing Home,Pro and their N versions.
If you like W7 you can try scarface's ISO which sails through NVMe and is better than W10 minus Dx12 and forced upgrades. Unfortunately, my skylake PC doesn't have some drivers for W7 is what keeping me on W10. Few years from now, I'll move to Steam/Wine DxV workarounds for running directx games in Vulkan. Its a old version with 191 update integrated.

September 11, 2018, 11:09 PM
Reply #196
  • Global Moderator
I will PM you the link because google web crawlers will take it down. Its a multi-edition containing Home,Pro and their N versions.

I asked you about this in PM before I had a chance to read this.

If you like W7 you can try scarface's ISO which sails through NVMe and is better than W10 minus Dx12 and forced upgrades.

Of course! Windows 7 is less bloated and developed in the days when PC's weren't as fast as today's. Sadly Windows 10 is the future and, sooner or later, we'll all have to upgrade.  :(

September 22, 2018, 04:34 PM
Reply #197
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, windows 7 x64 Professional SP1 lite Tunisia edition with the latest updates is available.

As usual, it contains many reg tweaks, netfx 3.5 and netfx 4.7.2, dx9 (and 11) and many programs.
It was updated with the September updates, 7zip 18.05, winrar 3.60 full, Visual C++ Runtime Installer (All-In-One) v56...and the latest drivers.
list of the embedded drivers here: soon
Nothing was removed except the useless recovery file winre.wim and a few obsolete drivers (printers)
Fx sound enhancer was added (full version).
Note that harkaz's rebase was used to make it lighter (extreme cleanup). The program is available in %systemdrive% (at a time it wasn't free but harkaz may still find a donation useful). Some useless content was also removed in the winsxs folder. It may cause problems for the future updates.

Link: https://mega.nz/#!fPIhASjR!4KnPMj1_KlOA2hoxc_06qJxYXSwZJcl6MHy9nRJtVzA

If you have activation problems: https://mega.nz/#!PXZHTIzB!QUp86oPcQJkj4dBgctKa7aQB9KjlAHpjUblN6yUWr2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRHIO28cb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvh-ieuM8yg

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:40 PM by scarface »