• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 03, 2018, 05:53 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on September 30, 2018, 09:25 AM
You can block windows update permanently using wumt wrapper. I use portable version and wub does work.
Try Redstone 5 insider release made by a member without bloatware. I didn't try it since I'm skipping Redstones for as long as I can!

My favorite W10 update blocker is Windows Update Blocker from Sordum. Check it out here. It even has a feature preventing Windows from changing your settings on any other service. But when you come to think of it, using this isn't really necessary. Take a look at this article. This is pretty much what I've done. As I see it, MS should give me updates only when they've been thoroughly tested and all the bugs have been squashed. Remember that updates are a fact of life. You can delay them but not eliminate them entirely.
I use exact same thing. wub = windows update blocker

humbert

As is always the case, Micro$haft prematurely releases buggy updates of their products. Check out this article. It seems they pulled the update because it was deleting files. This is the primary reason why I switched my updates to "Semi-Annual Channel". Let them fix it before I bring it down. In the mean time W10 continues to work OK.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 09, 2018, 05:39 AM
As is always the case, Micro$haft prematurely releases buggy updates of their products. Check out this article. It seems they pulled the update because it was deleting files. This is the primary reason why I switched my updates to "Semi-Annual Channel". Let them fix it before I bring it down. In the mean time W10 continues to work OK.
They pulled it because it might affect Enterprise users because if it deletes their data, MSFT will be sued for data deletion w/o user consent.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on October 09, 2018, 01:52 PM
They pulled it because it might affect Enterprise users because if it deletes their data, MSFT will be sued for data deletion w/o user consent.

I don't remember if the article specifically states that only Enterprise is affected. Even if that were the case, this is a grave problem that must be fixed before any further releases.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 11, 2018, 05:54 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on October 09, 2018, 01:52 PM

I don't remember if the article specifically states that only Enterprise is affected. Even if that were the case, this is a grave problem that must be fixed before any further releases.
So far only Home editions users were affected. They rectified it and now its distributing.

Vasudev

humbert

You can block windows update permanently using wumt wrapper. I use portable version and wub does work.
Try Redstone 5 insider release made by a member without bloatware. I didn't try it since I'm skipping Redstones for as long as I can!

I don't think blocking Windows updates permanently is a good idea. Of course doing so becomes necessary when an update refuses to install. That's currently my case. Despite setting updates to "Semi-Annual Channel", Micro$haft once again tried unsuccessfully to upgrade me to 1803. I had to do a full restore from a backup. That brings me to the next question: is it possible to forcibly upgrade to 1803 or higher without doing a clean install? If so, how? I'll even do Redstone if I could get the damn thing to work.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 23, 2018, 06:43 AM

I don't think blocking Windows updates permanently is a good idea. Of course doing so becomes necessary when an update refuses to install. That's currently my case. Despite setting updates to "Semi-Annual Channel", Micro$haft once again tried unsuccessfully to upgrade me to 1803. I had to do a full restore from a backup. That brings me to the next question: is it possible to forcibly upgrade to 1803 or higher without doing a clean install? If so, how? I'll even do Redstone if I could get the damn thing to work.
Since I shared a link of my custom Redstone 5 aka v1809 you can try that. Make sure you have updated SSD firmware, CPU microcode, MEI firmware, Latest Nvidia driver or vulkan developer driver 399.41(which I'm using), latest MEI driver only inf package from Win-raid and lastly latest v16.5 or higher Rapid storage storage driver.
After every driver and firmware is installed, mount v1809 ISO and open setup.exe whilst disconnecting from the internet until setup is completed 100%. Don't connect to internet even if Cortana asks you.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on October 23, 2018, 12:07 PM
Since I shared a link of my custom Redstone 5 aka v1809 you can try that. Make sure you have updated SSD firmware, CPU microcode, MEI firmware, Latest Nvidia driver or vulkan developer driver 399.41(which I'm using), latest MEI driver only inf package from Win-raid and lastly latest v16.5 or higher Rapid storage storage driver.
After every driver and firmware is installed, mount v1809 ISO and open setup.exe whilst disconnecting from the internet until setup is completed 100%. Don't connect to internet even if Cortana asks you.

Please repost the link for your copy of Redstone 1809. I wrote it down somewhere and now I can't find it  :(.

What's the best way ensure all drivers are up to date? NVidia updates itself but the other stuff I'm not too sure. It can't be done with Device Manager and I'm wary about these programs that update drivers.

Will this method upgrade your copy of Windows or will it do a fresh install? I'm trying to avoid a fresh install if possible. Reinstalling and reconfiguring everything is a royal pain, plus I just don't have the time. In any event I'm going to test it under Virtualbox first to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for your help.

Vasudev

@Humbert: I hope W10 v1803 is working fine for you..