Author Topic: Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase  (Read 60176 times)

October 09, 2018, 05:52 AM
Reply #200
  • Global Moderator
As is always the case, Micro$haft prematurely releases buggy updates of their products. Check out this article. It seems they pulled the update because it was deleting files. This is the primary reason why I switched my updates to "Semi-Annual Channel". Let them fix it before I bring it down. In the mean time W10 continues to work OK.
They pulled it because it might affect Enterprise users because if it deletes their data, MSFT will be sued for data deletion w/o user consent.

October 10, 2018, 09:54 PM
Reply #201
  • Global Moderator
They pulled it because it might affect Enterprise users because if it deletes their data, MSFT will be sued for data deletion w/o user consent.

I don't remember if the article specifically states that only Enterprise is affected. Even if that were the case, this is a grave problem that must be fixed before any further releases.

October 11, 2018, 01:35 AM
Reply #202
  • Global Moderator

I don't remember if the article specifically states that only Enterprise is affected. Even if that were the case, this is a grave problem that must be fixed before any further releases.
So far only Home editions users were affected. They rectified it and now its distributing.

October 21, 2018, 12:46 AM
Reply #203
  • Global Moderator
Thank you, I'm waiting for your W7.

October 22, 2018, 10:43 PM
Reply #204
  • Global Moderator
You can block windows update permanently using wumt wrapper. I use portable version and wub does work.
Try Redstone 5 insider release made by a member without bloatware. I didn't try it since I'm skipping Redstones for as long as I can!

I don't think blocking Windows updates permanently is a good idea. Of course doing so becomes necessary when an update refuses to install. That's currently my case. Despite setting updates to "Semi-Annual Channel", Micro$haft once again tried unsuccessfully to upgrade me to 1803. I had to do a full restore from a backup. That brings me to the next question: is it possible to forcibly upgrade to 1803 or higher without doing a clean install? If so, how? I'll even do Redstone if I could get the damn thing to work.

October 23, 2018, 04:07 AM
Reply #205
  • Global Moderator
You can block windows update permanently using wumt wrapper. I use portable version and wub does work.
Try Redstone 5 insider release made by a member without bloatware. I didn't try it since I'm skipping Redstones for as long as I can!

I don't think blocking Windows updates permanently is a good idea. Of course doing so becomes necessary when an update refuses to install. That's currently my case. Despite setting updates to "Semi-Annual Channel", Micro$haft once again tried unsuccessfully to upgrade me to 1803. I had to do a full restore from a backup. That brings me to the next question: is it possible to forcibly upgrade to 1803 or higher without doing a clean install? If so, how? I'll even do Redstone if I could get the damn thing to work.
Since I shared a link of my custom Redstone 5 aka v1809 you can try that. Make sure you have updated SSD firmware, CPU microcode, MEI firmware, Latest Nvidia driver or vulkan developer driver 399.41(which I'm using), latest MEI driver only inf package from Win-raid and lastly latest v16.5 or higher Rapid storage storage driver.
After every driver and firmware is installed, mount v1809 ISO and open setup.exe whilst disconnecting from the internet until setup is completed 100%. Don't connect to internet even if Cortana asks you.

October 23, 2018, 10:21 AM
Reply #206
  • Global Moderator
Since I shared a link of my custom Redstone 5 aka v1809 you can try that. Make sure you have updated SSD firmware, CPU microcode, MEI firmware, Latest Nvidia driver or vulkan developer driver 399.41(which I'm using), latest MEI driver only inf package from Win-raid and lastly latest v16.5 or higher Rapid storage storage driver.
After every driver and firmware is installed, mount v1809 ISO and open setup.exe whilst disconnecting from the internet until setup is completed 100%. Don't connect to internet even if Cortana asks you.

Please repost the link for your copy of Redstone 1809. I wrote it down somewhere and now I can't find it  :(.

What's the best way ensure all drivers are up to date? NVidia updates itself but the other stuff I'm not too sure. It can't be done with Device Manager and I'm wary about these programs that update drivers.

Will this method upgrade your copy of Windows or will it do a fresh install? I'm trying to avoid a fresh install if possible. Reinstalling and reconfiguring everything is a royal pain, plus I just don't have the time. In any event I'm going to test it under Virtualbox first to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for your help.

November 02, 2018, 12:42 PM
Reply #207
  • Global Moderator
@Humbert: I hope W10 v1803 is working fine for you..

November 02, 2018, 11:06 PM
Reply #208
  • Global Moderator

Yes it is. Thanks so much for your help. For some reason Windows Update is still broken. I had it set to automatic updates and it tried unsuccessfully to install some updates to 1803. I'm thinking the best thing to do is just use WUB and do upgrades your way. What do you think?

Just curious. Where did you find the information concerning the use of Dism++? That was instrumental in the upgrade.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:34 PM by humbert »

November 03, 2018, 01:03 AM
Reply #209
  • Global Moderator

Yes it is. Thanks so much for your help. For some reason Windows Update is still broken. I had it set to automatic updates and it tried unsuccessfully to install some updates to 1803. I'm thinking the best thing to do is just use WUB and do upgrades your way. What do you think?

Just curious. Where did you find the information concerning the use of Dism++? That was instrumental in the upgrade.
Found it in Sergei Strelec ISO and was instrumental for smooth in-place upgrades testing on multiple PCs including my own.
If you know how windows works use expert mode in Dism++ to cleanup further junk. I also second the use of DriverStore explorer from Majorgeeks site since Chef Koch's Github repo was deleted by MSFT after acquisition of Github. He's moving everything to GitLab.