Maher's Digital World

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Re: Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2018, 12:02 AM »
2 mobile providers, both offering limited text, voice calls and data. Awesome! I believe you said they offer 4G(LTE) but you don't have the right hardware. Right? Do they throttle your data speed after a certain amount?

After crossing 1.4GB the speeds will throttle to 144Kbps unless you get data booster pack to get 4G/LTE speeds.
I'm limited by my phone's hardware. It can do only 3.5G at max.

10Kbps? Are you sure this isn't a typo? As I recall 25 years ago 14.4Kbps using a landline/modem was state of the art.

Where did you say you live? Just curious, that's all.
You heard that right. Any "heavy downloads" say 40Megs and above gets the same treatment.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:05 AM by Vasudev »

Offline humbert

« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2018, 09:51 PM »
You heard that right. Any "heavy downloads" say 40Megs and above gets the same treatment.

This is ludicrous, especially given the fact that your ISP is not the only game in town. You have 2 cell providers who provide far better service. I say ditch the ISP and stick with your 2 mobile providers.

It must take forever to simply load a web page with 10kbps. I don't know what these people are even thinking.

« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2018, 12:16 AM »

This is ludicrous, especially given the fact that your ISP is not the only game in town. You have 2 cell providers who provide far better service. I say ditch the ISP and stick with your 2 mobile providers.

It must take forever to simply load a web page with 10kbps. I don't know what these people are even thinking.
Website loads fine at 10Mbps. I even hinted the ISP to delete the custom rules they setup based on my router mac id.
I'm waiting for new ISP same as my mobile provider because its great.

Offline humbert

« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Website loads fine at 10Mbps. I even hinted the ISP to delete the custom rules they setup based on my router mac id.

At 10Mbps it's OK, but you said the speed was 10Kbps. At this speed loading a web site take forever. Definitely ditch this slow ISP and go with the new one as soon as it's available.

Incidentally, is 5G going to be rolled out in India any time soon. Here in the USA they're going to start implementation in 2019. From what I've been reading this is *truly* the future. It maxes out at 10Gbps, which is faster than a pure fiber connection. Even Google said they're no longer rolling out their famous Google Fiber to cities that don't already have it.

« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2018, 02:07 AM »

At 10Mbps it's OK, but you said the speed was 10Kbps. At this speed loading a web site take forever. Definitely ditch this slow ISP and go with the new one as soon as it's available.

Incidentally, is 5G going to be rolled out in India any time soon. Here in the USA they're going to start implementation in 2019. From what I've been reading this is *truly* the future. It maxes out at 10Gbps, which is faster than a pure fiber connection. Even Google said they're no longer rolling out their famous Google Fiber to cities that don't already have it.
5G has worse range which you may know already. They are good for short range very high speed comm link with MIMO.
I already ditched that ISP.
Here the 4G speed on my mom's phone gets around 40Mbps downlink and 2Mbps uplink. My phone does 10-15Mbps downlink and 5Mbps upload on 3.5G or H+.
I will say 4.5G is more than enough for most of them for downloading stuff and for upload fiber optics works for me.

Offline humbert

« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2018, 11:02 PM »
5G has worse range which you may know already. They are good for short range very high speed comm link with MIMO.

From what I've been reading, the plan is to put 5G cells on telephone poles and street lights. The home customer would be issued a 5G modem with probably a small external antenna. The idea is, of course to find a way around 5G's distance and through-the-wall limitations. A major plus is that 5G devices would be fully backward compatible with 4G (LTE). It is infinitely cheaper for ISP's to hang 5G cells from a light pole than to tear up the street to bury fiber-optic cables. This is (I believe) why Google and AT&T are starting to cut back on their plans to install fiber everywhere. If the ISP's manage to get around 5G's limitations, fiber will become obsolete.

« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2018, 02:45 AM »

From what I've been reading, the plan is to put 5G cells on telephone poles and street lights. The home customer would be issued a 5G modem with probably a small external antenna. The idea is, of course to find a way around 5G's distance and through-the-wall limitations. A major plus is that 5G devices would be fully backward compatible with 4G (LTE). It is infinitely cheaper for ISP's to hang 5G cells from a light pole than to tear up the street to bury fiber-optic cables. This is (I believe) why Google and AT&T are starting to cut back on their plans to install fiber everywhere. If the ISP's manage to get around 5G's limitations, fiber will become obsolete.
5G isn't really battery efficient  and yeah Fiber is expensive. But for people who download/upload heavily Fiber is helpful and 5G might not give you constant rated speed and it only advertises as 1Gbps Peak speed and not sustained speeds for N time duration.

Offline humbert

« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2018, 10:14 PM »
5G isn't really battery efficient  and yeah Fiber is expensive. But for people who download/upload heavily Fiber is helpful and 5G might not give you constant rated speed and it only advertises as 1Gbps Peak speed and not sustained speeds for N time duration.

Keep in mind I refer to the notion of using 5G for the home to compete against the current wire-based ISP. For mobile devices it's still a win-win situation: They'd use 5G whenever possible and simply revert back to LTE as the need arises. Serious problems would arise only if the devices were locked to 5G. Fortunately that won't be the case, it's already been confirmed.

« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2018, 02:58 AM »

Keep in mind I refer to the notion of using 5G for the home to compete against the current wire-based ISP. For mobile devices it's still a win-win situation: They'd use 5G whenever possible and simply revert back to LTE as the need arises. Serious problems would arise only if the devices were locked to 5G. Fortunately that won't be the case, it's already been confirmed.
For mobile users its a win-win situation.

Offline humbert

« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23 PM »
Today, windows 10 x64 pro Redstone 5 v1809 (with the January updates) is available.
For Vasudev who is waiting for windows 7, I'll release an extra lite edition later.

Is it possible to open the ISO and execute the setup.exe in order to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, or must it be installed clean? I'm asking because many times I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade from 1709 to 1803 using Windows Update. I finally upgraded to 1803 with Vasudev's copy using the setup.exe file. Maybe I can do the same with your copy of 1809.