Author Topic: Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase  (Read 68069 times)

December 27, 2018, 02:58 AM
Reply #210
  • Global Moderator
5G isn't really battery efficient  and yeah Fiber is expensive. But for people who download/upload heavily Fiber is helpful and 5G might not give you constant rated speed and it only advertises as 1Gbps Peak speed and not sustained speeds for N time duration.

Keep in mind I refer to the notion of using 5G for the home to compete against the current wire-based ISP. For mobile devices it's still a win-win situation: They'd use 5G whenever possible and simply revert back to LTE as the need arises. Serious problems would arise only if the devices were locked to 5G. Fortunately that won't be the case, it's already been confirmed.
For mobile users its a win-win situation.

January 13, 2019, 10:23 PM
Reply #211
  • Global Moderator
Today, windows 10 x64 pro Redstone 5 v1809 (with the January updates) is available.
For Vasudev who is waiting for windows 7, I'll release an extra lite edition later.

Is it possible to open the ISO and execute the setup.exe in order to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, or must it be installed clean? I'm asking because many times I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade from 1709 to 1803 using Windows Update. I finally upgraded to 1803 with Vasudev's copy using the setup.exe file. Maybe I can do the same with your copy of 1809.

January 13, 2019, 11:50 PM
Reply #212
  • Global Moderator
Is it possible to open the ISO and execute the setup.exe in order to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, or must it be installed clean? I'm asking because many times I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade from 1709 to 1803 using Windows Update. I finally upgraded to 1803 with Vasudev's copy using the setup.exe file. Maybe I can do the same with your copy of 1809.

In my opinion, it's possible.
But if I were you, I would do a clean install. Note that I don't even use it yet since I had other problems lately (I'm still using v1803).

January 14, 2019, 02:18 AM
Reply #213
  • Global Moderator

In my opinion, it's possible.
But if I were you, I would do a clean install. Note that I don't even use it yet since I had other problems lately (I'm still using v1803).
I'm still using v1803 and kept scarface and mine RS5 ISOs in queue for those want Redstone 5. Those who wants no bloatware with UWP apps I install scarface's ISO and those who want stock W10 experience with slight tweaks and no useless UWP games and ad based apps I install mine.

January 14, 2019, 02:20 AM
Reply #214
  • Global Moderator
Today, windows 10 x64 pro Redstone 5 v1809 (with the January updates) is available.
For Vasudev who is waiting for windows 7, I'll release an extra lite edition later.

Yes you can upgrade. Make sure to disconnect other HDDs/SSDs to prevent data deletion bug on upgrade install. Use dism++ and check all options and clean it up. After that, use setup.exe to upgrade to RS5 error free w/ clean install like experience.

February 10, 2019, 12:17 AM
Reply #215
  • Global Moderator
I'm still using your October edition of W7 pro.
I am making a stock version of W7 just for archive with latest January updates. For experienced users I still recommend your versions of W7/w10. My W7 really sucks since its very huge.

February 14, 2019, 01:40 AM
Reply #216
  • Global Moderator
Here is a screenshot of all my updated Images of Win 10 RS4,5 and Win 7 SP1.
I may have to read Harkaz's guide for using Win 7 slipstreaming. Rebase tool is wonderful, I updated SF edition w7 october edition to January updates... Now it starts within 3 secs and shuts down in a sec on NVMe drive. Thanks SF.I'm deprecating most Appx on newer Win 10 versions because I believe they aren't updating their apps anymore which are absolute crap after updating to same versions as of Redstone 5.scarface: Can we use rebase whilst the image is mounted using GImageX?

February 14, 2019, 12:33 PM
Reply #217
  • Global Moderator
I may have to read Harkaz's guide for using Win 7 slipstreaming. Rebase tool is wonderful, I updated SF edition w7 october edition to January updates... Now it starts within 3 secs and shuts down in a sec on NVMe drive. Thanks SF.I'm deprecating most Appx on newer Win 10 versions because I believe they aren't updating their apps anymore which are absolute crap after updating to same versions as of Redstone 5.scarface: Can we use rebase whilst the image is mounted using GImageX?

With windows 10, you can do it with:
Dism /Image:C:\test\ /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

With windows 7, to use Rebase for an offline image mounted to D:\mount use this syntax: rebase –image:D:\mount\Windows [-extreme|-decompress-base] [-hideupdates]
The D:\mount\Windows directory is the Windows directory of the mounted image in 99.99% of cases. If you changed the Windows directory name to WinDir, you should point to the absolute path of the mounted Windows directory as follows:
–image:D:\mount\WinDir

February 15, 2019, 05:11 AM
Reply #218
  • Global Moderator

With windows 10, you can do it with:
Dism /Image:C:\test\ /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

With windows 7, to use Rebase for an offline image mounted to D:\mount use this syntax: rebase –image:D:\mount\Windows [-extreme|-decompress-base] [-hideupdates]
The D:\mount\Windows directory is the Windows directory of the mounted image in 99.99% of cases. If you changed the Windows directory name to WinDir, you should point to the absolute path of the mounted Windows directory as follows:
–image:D:\mount\WinDir
I re-read the Rebase manual and now it worked. Looks like I was doing it wrong. I did find Dism++ doing similar SxS cleanup on live OS. I will try rebase once more for testing. Do you think 4.1GB is too big for 4 editions of W7?

February 15, 2019, 12:36 PM
Reply #219
  • Global Moderator
I re-read the Rebase manual and now it worked. Looks like I was doing it wrong. I did find Dism++ doing similar SxS cleanup on live OS. I will try rebase once more for testing. Do you think 4.1GB is too big for 4 editions of W7?
If your iso is 4.1 Gb, I think it's a bit big indeed, if you have applied rebase -extreme -online.
But I think you can't compete with harkaz and me and with our sysprep method, sorry to say that, because you are applying some patches offline and your method seems to force you to keep several editions in your iso. If I was trimming down the winsxs folder aggressively, I could probably go below 2Gb for windows 7. The only problem is that it breaks the possibility to install future updates. Apparently using harkaz's rebase seems to have the same consequences sometimes. I didn't experience problems with the method to clean winsxs folder under windows 10. But this time it's an official tool.