• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on February 14, 2019, 09:40 AM
Here is a screenshot of all my updated Images of Win 10 RS4,5 and Win 7 SP1.
I may have to read Harkaz's guide for using Win 7 slipstreaming. Rebase tool is wonderful, I updated SF edition w7 october edition to January updates... Now it starts within 3 secs and shuts down in a sec on NVMe drive. Thanks SF.I'm deprecating most Appx on newer Win 10 versions because I believe they aren't updating their apps anymore which are absolute crap after updating to same versions as of Redstone 5.scarface: Can we use rebase whilst the image is mounted using GImageX?

With windows 10, you can do it with:
Dism /Image:C:\test\ /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

With windows 7, to use Rebase for an offline image mounted to D:\mount use this syntax: rebase â€"image:D:\mount\Windows [-extreme|-decompress-base] [-hideupdates]
The D:\mount\Windows directory is the Windows directory of the mounted image in 99.99% of cases. If you changed the Windows directory name to WinDir, you should point to the absolute path of the mounted Windows directory as follows:
â€"image:D:\mount\WinDir

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on February 14, 2019, 08:33 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on February 14, 2019, 09:40 AM
Here is a screenshot of all my updated Images of Win 10 RS4,5 and Win 7 SP1.
I may have to read Harkaz's guide for using Win 7 slipstreaming. Rebase tool is wonderful, I updated SF edition w7 october edition to January updates... Now it starts within 3 secs and shuts down in a sec on NVMe drive. Thanks SF.I'm deprecating most Appx on newer Win 10 versions because I believe they aren't updating their apps anymore which are absolute crap after updating to same versions as of Redstone 5.scarface: Can we use rebase whilst the image is mounted using GImageX?

With windows 10, you can do it with:
Dism /Image:C:\test\ /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

With windows 7, to use Rebase for an offline image mounted to D:\mount use this syntax: rebase â€"image:D:\mount\Windows [-extreme|-decompress-base] [-hideupdates]
The D:\mount\Windows directory is the Windows directory of the mounted image in 99.99% of cases. If you changed the Windows directory name to WinDir, you should point to the absolute path of the mounted Windows directory as follows:
â€"image:D:\mount\WinDir
I re-read the Rebase manual and now it worked. Looks like I was doing it wrong. I did find Dism++ doing similar SxS cleanup on live OS. I will try rebase once more for testing. Do you think 4.1GB is too big for 4 editions of W7?

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on February 15, 2019, 01:11 PM
I re-read the Rebase manual and now it worked. Looks like I was doing it wrong. I did find Dism++ doing similar SxS cleanup on live OS. I will try rebase once more for testing. Do you think 4.1GB is too big for 4 editions of W7?
If your iso is 4.1 Gb, I think it's a bit big indeed, if you have applied rebase -extreme -online.
But I think you can't compete with harkaz and me and with our sysprep method, sorry to say that, because you are applying some patches offline and your method seems to force you to keep several editions in your iso. If I was trimming down the winsxs folder aggressively, I could probably go below 2Gb for windows 7. The only problem is that it breaks the possibility to install future updates. Apparently using harkaz's rebase seems to have the same consequences sometimes. I didn't experience problems with the method to clean winsxs folder under windows 10. But this time it's an official tool.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on February 15, 2019, 08:36 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on February 15, 2019, 01:11 PM
If your iso is 4.1 Gb, I think it's a bit big indeed, if you have applied rebase -extreme -online.
But I think you can't compete with harkaz and me and with our sysprep method, sorry to say that, because you are applying some patches offline and your method seems to force you to keep several editions in your iso. If I was trimming down the winsxs folder aggressively, I could probably go below 2Gb for windows 7. The only problem is that it breaks the possibility to install future updates. Apparently using harkaz's rebase seems to have the same consequences sometimes. I didn't experience problems with the method to clean winsxs folder under windows 10. But this time it's an official tool.
4.1GB is without doing rebase. I'll remove Home basic edition and that will reduce size to 3GB with 3 editions. With ESD, I can go down to 2GB ISO size but decompression takes a long time on older hardware.
For now, I use Win toolkit and NTLite for make W7 and W10 ISOs. I'll have to re-visit Harkaz Sysprep guide once again!
You did say, removed useless winre.wim file, is it Boot.wim or WinPE files?

scarface

Winpe files? no, they are used to mount or capture the wim file.
Winre.wim is just the file in the recovery folder (It's a hidden system file). Of course when deleted you can't use the recovery tool any more.

You know, I've been thinking about going to India in May or June. To see sth else.
I don't know if I could see you in Mumbai or New Delhi. I can even pay the trip for Maher or humbert.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on February 16, 2019, 09:08 AM
Winpe files? no, they are used to mount or capture the wim file.
Winre.wim is just the file in the recovery folder (It's a hidden system file). Of course when deleted you can't use the recovery tool any more.

You know, I've been thinking about going to India in May or June. To see sth else.
I don't know if I could see you in Mumbai or New Delhi. I can even pay the trip for Maher or humbert.
I live in South India. Its better to skip New delhi because of too high air pollution.

scarface

too high an air pollution.

Vasudev

humbert

Quote from: scarface on February 18, 2019, 12:12 AM

You're sure this is gramatically correct? I've never heard anybody nor any written article refer to it this way. They'd probably say "too much air pollution".

I saw a TV documentary on New Delhi the other day. How so many people can live together like ants in such a small space and in that heat is beyond my comprehension. I'd go absolutely bonkers! I should mention that New Delhi is NOT the only plane in the world with a high population density. Hong Kong is probably worse.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 28, 2019, 05:58 AM
Quote from: scarface on February 18, 2019, 12:12 AM

You're sure this is gramatically correct? I've never heard anybody nor any written article refer to it this way. They'd probably say "too much air pollution".

I saw a TV documentary on New Delhi the other day. How so many people can live together like ants in such a small space and in that heat is beyond my comprehension. I'd go absolutely bonkers! I should mention that New Delhi is NOT the only plane in the world with a high population density. Hong Kong is probably worse.
Yes HK especially their cash rich PC/Mobile manufacturing and assembling parts are highly polluted.