• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on June 28, 2019, 05:17 PM
Haha.... You're same as me.... How Hot? 40-45C??
No, 35°C
I think that the record in France was beaten today with 44°C in Carpentras.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on June 28, 2019, 07:41 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 28, 2019, 05:17 PM
Haha.... You're same as me.... How Hot? 40-45C??
No, 35°C
I think that the record in France was beaten today with 44°C in Carpentras.
Here, 10 years ago, avg ambient temps were below 30C. Now, its 40C plus!

Vasudev

@scarface: Yesterday I did a custom Win 7 SP1 and install.esd size is 2.2GB and 3.3GB in standard wim container. I updated winre.wim file to latest updates along with boot.wim files.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on June 30, 2019, 09:55 AM
@scarface: Yesterday I did a custom Win 7 SP1 and install.esd size is 2.2GB and 3.3GB in standard wim container. I updated winre.wim file to latest updates along with boot.wim files.
3.3 Gb? You must have made a serious clean sweep.
2.2 GB? I read several times that the esd conversion was only possible with windows 10. Is it working? Is there a new boot.wim to handle this? This is pretty interesting if I want to make a smaller windows 7 release.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on June 30, 2019, 03:35 PM
2.2 GB? I read several times that the esd conversion was only possible with windows 10. Is it working? Is there a new boot.wim to handle this? This is pretty interesting if I want to make a smaller windows 7 release.
Yeah I also saved custom boot.wim fully integrated as per Harkaz guide. Mind you, I forgot the VM part so if I followed that the ESD would have been much smaller. My ISO has updated winre.wim trimmed to 320MB using Harkaz cleanup guide(WinSxS). Rebasing compressed the test OS image to 16GB as opposed to 20GB. I used Simplix to update install.wim. Use NTLite for ESD compression or Gimagex for Xpress64k with better compression with slow speed.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on June 30, 2019, 09:36 PM
Quote from: scarface on June 30, 2019, 03:35 PM
Yeah I also saved custom boot.wim fully integrated as per Harkaz guide. Mind you, I forgot the VM part so if I followed that the ESD would have been much smaller. My ISO has updated winre.wim trimmed to 320MB using Harkaz cleanup guide(WinSxS). Rebasing compressed the test OS image to 16GB as opposed to 20GB. I used Simplix to update install.wim. Use NTLite for ESD compression or Gimagex for Xpress64k with better compression with slow speed.
Harkaz's guide for a "custom boot.wim fully integrated"? where? I must have missed sth. For the pb of compatibility what did you do? it seems a solution was found here:
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-wim-file-to-esd.56297/

For the esd compression I know I can use ntlite or dism...

scarface

I assume you were referring to this message: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=991.0
But the links are not valid any more.
Actually I found an old tutorial of harkaz here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/guide-integrating-windows-7-post-sp1-updates-to-installation-disk-64-bit.42163/
But I find it's a bit hard to understand it.
For my own windows 7 and 10 versions, I have a reliable method, I "just" update them, tweak them and add a bunch of programs on a virtual machine then I use the sysprep method (optionally I can make a clean sweep too). Once done, I would not say that's a method for a beginner since I have to capture the image using gimagex (for win7) or dism (for win10), by booting a bootable and home-made winpe.iso that contains gimagex and dism... Then I have to transfer the image between the virtual machine and the local computer via ftp.
If you want my bare-bones winpe iso (After booting you have to type 1 or 2 to use cmd prompt or gimagex... there is nothing else): https://mega.nz/#!NJNQRSjD!3hI3mO0sqU2_SzJYLd4y1RVnyda3kIhm_gA-23KN9SE
I don't need to update winre.wim since I remove it. As far as boot.wim is concerned, for windows 7 I remember I added some usb3 drivers to be able to install it on recent computers with a usb key, that's all.

Since the whereabouts of harkaz are unknown, maybe you could add your own tutorial to explain what you mean by "custom boot.wim fully integrated" (and how to make a install.esd file for windows 7 since it's not supported by default).

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on July 01, 2019, 11:06 PM
I assume you were referring to this message: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=991.0
But the links are not valid any more.
Actually I found an old tutorial of harkaz here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/guide-integrating-windows-7-post-sp1-updates-to-installation-disk-64-bit.42163/
But I find it's a bit hard to understand it.
For my own windows 7 and 10 versions, I have a reliable method, I "just" update them, tweak them and add a bunch of programs on a virtual machine then I use the sysprep method (optionally I can make a clean sweep too). Once done, I would not say that's a method for a beginner since I have to capture the image using gimagex (for win7) or dism (for win10), by booting a bootable and home-made winpe.iso that contains gimagex and dism... Then I have to transfer the image between the virtual machine and the local computer via ftp.
If you want my bare-bones winpe iso (After booting you have to type 1 or 2 to use cmd prompt or gimagex... there is nothing else): https://mega.nz/#!NJNQRSjD!3hI3mO0sqU2_SzJYLd4y1RVnyda3kIhm_gA-23KN9SE
I don't need to update winre.wim since I remove it. As far as boot.wim is concerned, for windows 7 I remember I added some usb3 drivers to be able to install it on recent computers with a usb key, that's all.

Since the whereabouts of harkaz are unknown, maybe you could add your own tutorial to explain what you mean by "custom boot.wim fully integrated" (and how to make a install.esd file for windows 7 since it's not supported by default).
Dr. Harkaz is a real doctor, I mean medical one and good programmer. Anyway this is the guide. https://mega.nz/#!UYR1TCyR!YCUiE7EeUpSHXq-t7M4DUf5J9yiFUT91BTvzYsDqrxc
If you want to reset Win 7 to factory defaults, winre.wim is needed when USB boot drive is absent( for noobs and non tech savy people). Install.wim can be converted to use ESD w/o any issue and it boots in a VM and its not quick as yours though. I've added ini and Ntlite presets in the ISO so people can use/refer them to re-create similar ISOs in future.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on July 02, 2019, 08:04 PM
If you want to reset Win 7 to factory defaults, winre.wim is needed when USB boot drive is absent( for noobs and non tech savy people). Install.wim can be converted to use ESD w/o any issue and it boots in a VM and its not quick as yours though. I've added ini and Ntlite presets in the ISO so people can use/refer them to re-create similar ISOs in future.
I'll keep removing winre.wim anyway. I can't believe you can convert install.wim to esd w/o any issue without a modded boot.wim. So your boot.wim, where is it? Could you give a link?

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on July 03, 2019, 02:46 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 02, 2019, 08:04 PM
I'll keep removing winre.wim anyway. I can't believe you can convert install.wim to esd w/o any issue without a modded boot.wim. So your boot.wim, where is it? Could you give a link?
I'll upload the whole ISO with updated setup files which you can see by latest modification date in sources folder. Without, useless Winre.wim you can get the ISO under 2-2.3GB.
If you want updated boot.wim's apply convienience update, latest servicing stack and latest rollup June/July update.
Upload will be done by tonight or I'll give you the link in the evening!