• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Component Store Cleanup - Rebase

Started by harkaz, December 26, 2015, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 21, 2019, 05:55 AM
There is no question that at the time of this writing 1909 is still too buggy for everyday use. Logic dictates that if it worked as it should, the upgrade process would be seamless. The only thing to do is patiently wait until they fix it. There's no hurry, 1809 works great.
I finally installed v1909 (via a clean install). I didn't notice any bug (unlike Vasudev I have no audio issues). I couldn't see any major changes either.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on November 24, 2019, 09:55 AM
Quote from: humbert on November 21, 2019, 05:55 AM
There is no question that at the time of this writing 1909 is still too buggy for everyday use. Logic dictates that if it worked as it should, the upgrade process would be seamless. The only thing to do is patiently wait until they fix it. There's no hurry, 1809 works great.
I did upgrade method lazily. No Dism cleanup nor internet was disconnected. Just wanted to see if it screws up or not!
But install completed very fast with 6-7mins.
I finally installed v1909 (via a clean install). I didn't notice any bug (unlike Vasudev I have no audio issues). I couldn't see any major changes either.
I think it affects only Dell/Alienware.

humbert

I agree. I installed it under VirtualBox and it installed and ran perfectly, even better than previous versions. The problem with this thing is upgrading from a previous version of Windows. I tried this and the whole thing crashed when it reached 67%, forcing me to restore 1809 from backup. Hopefully someone will find a way to fix this because for me a total wipe and clean install is out of the question. No time to reconfigure the OS and reinstall+configure the apps.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 27, 2019, 05:34 AM

I agree. I installed it under VirtualBox and it installed and ran perfectly, even better than previous versions. The problem with this thing is upgrading from a previous version of Windows. I tried this and the whole thing crashed when it reached 67%, forcing me to restore 1809 from backup. Hopefully someone will find a way to fix this because for me a total wipe and clean install is out of the question. No time to reconfigure the OS and reinstall+configure the apps.
You must enable Windows updates, undo all changes in OOSP 10 and try again. Once I enabled WU upgrade worked!
Its good to see you took a backup and restored once the install got haywired!

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 27, 2019, 08:10 PM
You must enable Windows updates, undo all changes in OOSP 10 and try again. Once I enabled WU upgrade worked!

Hopefully that's it. I was using a WU manager and that might be the problem. Just one thing: what is 00SP10?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 28, 2019, 01:10 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 27, 2019, 08:10 PM

Hopefully that's it. I was using a WU manager and that might be the problem. Just one thing: what is 00SP10?
O&O Shutup 10!

scarface

The next version of Windows 10 x64 will include a new version of GDHO (Fr-Eng/Eng-Fr dictionary) and the latest version of Smartcopy. Note that they are already in the latest edition, but unfortunately no shortcuts were created. I wasn't aware of that because the normal installation was creating shortcuts.

With this new nsi installer, the silent installation (switch /S) is creating shortcuts in the startmenu. If you want to create your own installer, here it is, you just have to put the correct files. This installer is not very clean, and there is no uninstaller.
You can also suggest new programs to add. I'm suddenly thinking the pinball of Fuj could be another interesting add-on.
code:
https://justpaste.it/6kb38

scarface

Note that a new link is available in the previous message.
If you are buying a brand new computer, I advise you to buy something with Freedos (a windows 10 home preinstalled license costs roughly 110$), and you can use Maher's windows 7 or windows 10 (available in the previous message) then.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 17, 2020, 01:41 PM
If you are buying a brand new computer, I advise you to buy something with Freedos (a windows 10 home preinstalled license costs roughly 110$), and you can use Maher's windows 7 or windows 10 (available in the previous message) then.

The only computers I've bought that have Windows 10 preinstalled are laptops, and I don't see a separate entry anywhere as a payment for Windows 10 (usually Home). In fact I've read that the fact that the computer has W10 plus all kinds of preinstalled garbage actually lowers the price. When I buy a laptop, the first thing I do is disable secure boot, kill off the pre-installed "authorized" bootup version in the BIOS, then remove all partitions and start from scratch with a pirated version of W10 Pro. I have yet to see a laptop available for sale with a clean hard drive.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 18, 2020, 04:48 AM
The only computers I've bought that have Windows 10 preinstalled are laptops, and I don't see a separate entry anywhere as a payment for Windows 10 (usually Home). In fact I've read that the fact that the computer has W10 plus all kinds of preinstalled garbage actually lowers the price. When I buy a laptop, the first thing I do is disable secure boot, kill off the pre-installed "authorized" bootup version in the BIOS, then remove all partitions and start from scratch with a pirated version of W10 Pro. I have yet to see a laptop available for sale with a clean hard drive.
As usual, your comment was very clever. I'll have to find serious arguments. Actually you don't see separate entry to pay for your embedded windows 10 indeed. That doesn't mean you don't pay for it.
When I bought my computer 5 years ago, I chose a computer with freedos. One year later, the same configuration with windows 10 was more expensive.
Now let's take 2 similar computers, same brand, same price, same processor on 2 different websites. But the first one has freedos, the second one has windows 10. I consider that the 1st one should be more expensive because it has a geforce rtx 2060, the second one has a gtx 1660 ti. The first one has a 256Gb ssd vs 512Gb for the second one though. Note that the second computer is a promotion product too.
The rtx 2060 card is 70â,¬ more expensive, and the 512 Gb ssd is only 30â,¬ more expensive. Therefore, the second computer should be 40â,¬ less expensive. Is it the price for windows 10? Maybe.
First computer:https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00279525.html
second computer: https://www.fnac.com/PC-Portable-Msi-GP75-Leopard-9SD-1070FR-17-3-Intel-Core-i7-16-Go-RAM-512-Go-SSD/a13808134/w-4

Note that a new version of windows 7 will be available soon too.