• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Forgot your Windows password_option1

Started by tinman, April 24, 2011, 04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinman

Hello, and thanks for inviting me to the forums. 8) Ok, now for my first contribution, this is a tutorial to get some peace up, if you have lost ur windows password. The software is mentioned below boots from a cd, but for the curious get unetbootin from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/   that'll help you to install NTpasswd on to a USB stick.

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

1.  Get the machine to boot from CD (or floppy)
   2. Floppy version need to swap floppy to load drivers.
   3. Load drivers (usually automatic, but possible to run manual select)
   4. Disk select, tell which disk contains the Windows system. Optionally you will have to load drivers.
   5. PATH select, where on the disk is the system?
   6. File select, which parts of registry to load, based on what you want to do.
   7. Password reset or other registry edit.
   8. Write back to disk (you will be asked)

Get the iso as zip from their site http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ . And Oh, they have a walkthrough, I reccomend reading it before getting into trouble, experience speaks for my self :)

Post back for help or any sort...man i'm bad at this.

~tinman
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)

tinman

Say hello to CHNTPW.

For those who dont know ubuntu is the best linux Operating system out there, so why not mention it here.

STEPS::::::::::::::::::::::

1.download ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
2.burn it to a cd
3.boot from it and from the live desktop install the application chntpw.
   3.1 goto System>Administration>synaptic package manager.
   3.2 click on update and in the search bar type in chntpw and install it.
4.Now go ahead and mount the partition containing ur windows installation.

Follow my lead (blind leading the deaf:))

goto Applications>Accessories>terminal. In the command line type in
Quotesudo su
you should see the end of the prompt changed from $ to #, this means you are now the root/main user. the next command you see should be performed from the same commandline.

Quotechntpw -l /media/Windows_drive/WINDOWS/system32/SAM
this will list your compueter users. pickone for my example tinman
Quotechntpw -l /media/Windows_drive/WINDOWS/system32/SAM -u tinman

you'll be given a lot of options press 1 and then press enter. and at the confirmation press y and thats it you have removed your windows password.

Any questions at all please post back.

~tinman ::)
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)

tinman

Guys feel free to post about your methodologies to do when win password is lost. And yeah i googled and found a video this is much better. see this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LnAQcKtbM

For this forget ubuntu download backtrack and write it to a disk or usb stick( I choose USB cuz its much faster.. i mean responsive when i'm in the live system.)

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/

peace,
~tinman

humbert

Quote from: tinman on April 24, 2011, 04:47 AM
Say hello to CHNTPW.

For those who dont know ubuntu is the best linux Operating system out there, so why not mention it here.

STEPS::::::::::::::::::::::

1.download ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
2.burn it to a cd
3.boot from it and from the live desktop install the application chntpw.
   3.1 goto System>Administration>synaptic package manager.
   3.2 click on update and in the search bar type in chntpw and install it.
4.Now go ahead and mount the partition containing ur windows installation.
        [stuff deleted]   
~tinman ::)

Let me ask you somethting. Are warez, games and cracks available for Ubuntu? I would imagine there would be, but not even close to the stuff available for Windoze. If not then why mount a Windoze partition at all? Also, is Ubuntu available in a 64 bit version that can see beyond 4 gigs of memory, or is it one of those OS' that will run great on a Pentium III?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm sure Ubuntu and all other flavors of Linux as well as the Mac OS are far better and more stable than Windoze. But if indeed there's so little support and programs for it in comparison to Windoze, then what have you accomplished?

I believe there's a Firefox version for Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux (correct me if I'm wrong). Assuming there is, do the same add-ons work for it too? I couldn't live without AdBlock Plus.  For example, get on the Pirate Bay with IE (even with all those strange "filters" they put in IE9) and you have a hard time seeing what warez are available, just the nauseating ads that move up and down.

tinman

My good man I never mentioned it here saying anyone should remove their windows install for ubuntu or anything ... As my topic goes its just a way of saving our butts when we loose our passwords..

And yeah for windows software try googling wine and crossover. Dude firefox is a universal web browser. firefox comes as a binary package as well as for the stong ones interested in *nixes sourcecode, so what i'm saying is that there is no particular version of firefox for any type of Operating system.  Its the same thing running in different OS's.

Thanks for the quick reply.

~tinman

humbert

Quote from: tinman on April 24, 2011, 05:42 AM
My good man I never mentioned it here saying anyone should remove their windows install for ubuntu or anything ... As my topic goes its just a way of saving our butts when we loose our passwords..
And yeah for windows software try googling wine and crossover. Dude firefox is a universal web browser. firefox comes as a binary package as well as for the stong ones interested in *nixes sourcecode, so what i'm saying is that there is no particular version of firefox for any type of Operating system.  Its the same thing running in different OS's.
~tinman

I assume you mean Windoze OS passwords. If so, are you on a computer with other users where you must necessarily use password protection? Not my case, it's just me and my wife and there are no OS passwords. The ones for sites I keep with Roboform, which I back up with the rest of my system.

I opened another tab and took a look at Crossover and Wine. I didn't read very much into them but I get the general idea. Which do you use to mount your Windoze partition under Ubuntu?

Is Ubuntu available in 64 bit, or is it strictly 32? Can you mount Win 7 64 (or 32) or must you necessarily rely on XP SP3?

tinman

hello again... i am only relying on the live cd feature of ubuntu. I can't put in words you hve to see it for urself. A live cd helps u to run the OS from the cd without any harm to your harddrive.

let the partition be ntfs or fat , you can mount it under linux since linux helps you to make use of various filesystem formats.

This is useful only if somehow you found out that you cant login to ur account with ur password.

Also if u have any methods to help when we lost our passwords pls do post them.

Thanks for ur reply. post back K ;D

~tinman

scorpionzero

Well..its very simple actually...just get a bootable cd like Hiren's Boot CD or the best password remover like Active@ Boot Disk Suite..that cd have all tools u need...simple and not wasting your time.

humbert

Quote from: tinman on April 25, 2011, 05:45 AM
hello again... i am only relying on the live cd feature of ubuntu. I can't put in words you hve to see it for urself. A live cd helps u to run the OS from the cd without any harm to your harddrive.

let the partition be ntfs or fat , you can mount it under linux since linux helps you to make use of various filesystem formats.

This is useful only if somehow you found out that you cant login to ur account with ur password.

Also if u have any methods to help when we lost our passwords pls do post them.

Thanks for ur reply. post back K ;D

~tinman

Do you have Ubuntu installed on your HD or do you boot from CD (or DVD)? How do you get warez for it? Is there (for example) an equivalent of Firefox's Adblock Plus? To give you an idea, I've seen the Pirate Bay with Internet Explorer without using a program like Ad Muncher, and the ads on there are simply nauseating.

tinman

@humbert firefox is just a program, addons a re available even on the linux side.

Also i have made a video on using chntpw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgHSnFppQy0

Have fun

~tinman