• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows Preinstallation Environment

Started by billnes, June 04, 2012, 01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billnes

Hello,

I'm a newbie here, so I ask that you please forgive me if this question seems to be a bit off.

I am looking for a lightweight OS for a weak, old, Dell OptiPlex GX260.  I read, directly from the Microsoft web site, that Windows PE, can run programs.  However, I also read that the installation of PE only stays active, or "alive"  for 72 hours.  I don't know what happens after the 72 hour period ends.  I wanted to know if there is a virus/adware/trojan free version that has had the 72 hour total lifespan disabled.  If PE can run Internet Explorer, Office Home & Student Edition 2010 and support an anti-virus such as McAfee, that would be great.

My local Microcenter (Westbury) has OEM installations (little gatefold packages) of Home Server 2011 for $45.  However, I found this picture on Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Windows_Home_Server_2_Desktop.png.   I am baffeled by the cryptic nature of this message.  If somebody could explain this, I'd be greatful.  Does Home Server 2011 have Internet Explorer already intergrated into it?  Again, if Home Server can run Internet Explorer, Office Home & Student Edition 2010 and support an anti-virus such as McAfee, that would be great.

The OptiPlex has a P4 CPU, running at 2Ghz 1Mb of system RAM (maxed out) and a 60Gb HDD.

Thank you very much for your time, effort and consideration in this matter.

Best Regards,
Uncle Billy

Shadow.97

The only thing i can say is that the link is dead :(
I cant help more than saying that :)

Ahmad

Hello billnes. :)

First, I want to say that my PC is almost like yours.
CPU 2.6 GHz, Cache 256 KB, RAM 768 MB.
And I run Windows XP SP3 without feeling slow.
I tried other versions of XP like Windows fundamentals for legacy PC, but I found problems when installing some programs specially antivirus because it lacks many important files than the normal XP Pro.

So, I don't recommend any OS other than a normal Windows XP.
You can try Maher's XP first from Here, I work with it and it's not heavy on my system.

If you find it heavy, or you want to try others..
You can try Windows XP Home edition... They say it's lighter than XP pro, but I didn't try it before ... Or ...

There is a Micro release of XP on the internet called Micro XP by darkreverser, it's also not bad and I tried a release of it before and everything works fine. You can download the latest release from Here or Here.

Good luck.  ;)
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

BLADESHARK

@billnes 8)
So do you want Windows Preinstallation Environment OR Windows Performance Edition.
Reply...........
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

billnes

Hello BLADESHARK,

I found the lightweight version of XP Pro on the P2P network.  I read the readme file that was posted on the torrent site that I found (no names, please).  It seems seems to be a bit too stripped down.  According to the author, he removed video drivers, and network protocalls.  If his version of Windows can't use my Cablevision/Optimum, when installed, it's of no use to me.  I don't have the skills needed to get my internet connection running by manually installing the required components.

I'd try windows PE if I knew that the 72 hour lifespan had been disabled, or if I was provided with instructions on how to disable it myself.

Cheers to you,
Uncle Billy

BLADESHARK

Quote from: billnes on June 06, 2012, 01:44 PM
Hello BLADESHARK,

I found the lightweight version of XP Pro on the P2P network.  I read the readme file that was posted on the torrent site that I found (no names, please).  It seems seems to be a bit too stripped down.  According to the author, he removed video drivers, and network protocalls.  If his version of Windows can't use my Cablevision/Optimum, when installed, it's of no use to me.  I don't have the skills needed to get my internet connection running by manually installing the required components.

I'd try windows PE if I knew that the 72 hour lifespan had been disabled, or if I was provided with instructions on how to disable it myself.

Cheers to you,
Uncle Billy
So again I come to the same question Windows Preinstallation Environment OR Windows Performance Edition.
The PE you use is for both the OS Preinstallation Environment & Performance Edition
Tell me so I can provide you a good Torrent. :D

billnes

Hello Bladeshark,

I decided not to take anything.  Not PE nor Windows Performance Edition.  According to Microsoft, PE is engineered to have a 72 hour total lifespan.  This way, it can not be used as a pirated, lightweight OS.  I was able to download it directly from Microsoft anyway.  There is no need for you to provide me with a Torrent for something I have already downloaded directly from Microsoft...  Now, if somebody out there disabled the 72 hour limit and there was a Torrent or a site where I could download that, it would be a diffrent story...

Since Windows Performance Edition, is an amateur hack job. I've decided not to take it.  The PC that I was planning on using as a testing platform can already run an install of regular XP Pro anyway.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
Uncle Billy

BLADESHARK

billnes

Hello,

If you go to the official Microsoft website for Windows PE, they tell you that there is 72 hour total lifespan on it.  They tell you that they do it so PE can't be used as a light-weight pirated OS. 

Is there any way to disable that 72 hour limit?  I downloaded the official ISO image from Microsoft.  Once I create an auctual disc from the ISO image, what do I do with it?

Also, does PE need any kind of key?

Thanks,
Uncle Billy - Hicksville, NY

humbert

Quote from: billnes on June 25, 2012, 05:15 AM
Hello,
If you go to the official Microsoft website for Windows PE, they tell you that there is 72 hour total lifespan on it.  They tell you that they do it so PE can't be used as a light-weight pirated OS. 
Is there any way to disable that 72 hour limit?  I downloaded the official ISO image from Microsoft.  Once I create an auctual disc from the ISO image, what do I do with it?
Also, does PE need any kind of key?

Better yet, I heard on a video that there exists (or maybe existED) a portable version of Win 8-64 that you can put on a 32 GB flashdrive without interfering with your present Win7 configuration. I know upgrading is inevitable, but first I'd like to get my feet wet and know what to expect -- at the very least learn the metro interface.

Does anyone know if Win 8 can simply be installed over Win 7? This was the case in the past with all MS OS's, but I remember when Win 7 came along, a direct upgrade from XP was impossible. Micro$haft had a way to do it but I never got it to work right, so I decided the fastest way was to reformat and do a fresh install as opposed to continuing to screw around with this garbage.