• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows Preinstallation Environment

Started by billnes, June 04, 2012, 01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLADESHARK

So are you talking about dual-booting or install windows 8 on a USB drive? ???
�There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.�

billnes

Quote from: BLADESHARK on June 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
So are you talking about dual-booting or install windows 8 on a USB drive? ???

I'm looking for a light weight, low overhead OS for an old Dell Optiplex GX260.  It came form the factory in 2002 and originally had Windows 2000 Professional pre installed.  It left the factory with 512Mb or RAM and I upped it to it's maximum of 1Gb.

Right now, it has XP Professional on it.  However, as I'm sure you're aware, support for XP ends on April 18th, 2014.  I want to have something on that machine before that date.  I know that computer is old, but I want to have at least one (1) emergency backup computer in stock.

I don't want to spend any money on a OS for it, but Microsoft OS'es are all I know.  I don't want to take the time to learn a new, non-Microsoft OS.  I was thinking of installing Home Server 2012 on it because it's only costs $45, but I was informed that Home Server can't run Office 2010.  If Home Server can't run MS Office 2010, it's useless to me.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Uncle Billy

BLADESHARK

Sorry billnes that post was for Humbert 8) :)

humbert

Quote from: BLADESHARK on June 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
Sorry billnes that post was for Humbert 8) :)

Blade -- I'm looking for a Windows 8 that can be installed on a flashdrive and be run as a live CD. I got the idea from a computer TV show on one of the streaming TV services I have - it comes as a feature with Samsung DVD players and, more recently, smart TV's. The girl on the show talked about exactly this and invited the audience to check it out. I've been looking all over for it but haven't found it, so I'm thinking it may have been a temporary thing or, if a copy still exists, it's probably on one of the torrent sites.

It goes without saying the upgrade is inevitable, but not right now. I'm looking to check it out just to see what it feels like and see if I can learn the Metro interface without having to go through this garbage of creating dual boot scenarios or [heaven forbid] resizing partitions. BTW, although 64 bit is fine, for just this the 32 bit version is OK too.

humbert

Quote from: Osborne7 on June 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
Try these 2 web sites I found!  ;D
You can run Windows 8 from a USB flash drive
http://liliputing.com/2011/09/you-can-run-windows-8-from-a-usb-flash-drive.html
Creating Windows 8 To Go on a 16 GB USB-Stick
http://www.borncity.com/blog/2011/09/21/creating-windows-8-to-go-on-a-16-gb-usb-stick/

Thanks for the tip. I read over the info on the sites and I'm seeing there's quite a bit of work involved. I'm beginning to think this copy of Win-8 was never designed to be used as a live CD (or flashdrive), and what these guys are coming up with is a major workaraound so it can work exactly that way. While it would probably be nice to take a look at Win-8, as I see it the effort's just not worth it. I did bookmark the 2nd site just for one of these days I'm feeling adventurous.

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate projected date of release for 8? I'm thinking that from these early evaluation releases to the official one, there may be quite a few changes made.

billnes

Hello,

In my quest to find a lightweight OS for an old Dell Optiplex GX260 (P4, 2.0Ghz, maxed memory - 1Gb), I was told to consider Windows 2008 Server R2. I was informed that unlike Home Server 2011, Server 2008 R2 does have the ability to run Productivity software such as Office 2010.  At the Microsoft download page it said that server of x86 CPU's was 64-bit.  However, on the FAQ page, there are specs for 32-bit systems...  Does anybody know if the ISO image contains both 32 & 64 bit versions?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Uncle Bill - Hicksville, NY

BLADESHARK

Quote from: humbert on June 29, 2012, 01:28 AM
Does anyone have an idea of the approximate projected date of release for 8?
it's going to be RTM'd in the end of October 2012
Are you going to purchase it??? :-\

BLADESHARK

Quote from: billnes on July 01, 2012, 07:50 AM
Does anybody know if the ISO image contains both 32 & 64 bit versions?
Which ISO ???
please provide the link. :)

Daniil

@ billnes
WinPE is mostly for service purposes. You can make a candy from it, but it may take a lot of time.
Maybe "ya nid shomeshin' 'NIX"? (c)  ;D ;)

For example, like Slax? It may be really usefull for you tasks. I used it on Celeron 1.7/1Gb and it works fine and fast. And looks pretty good.

Update: Once more, there is site about WinPE-based LiveCD distribs of Windows. Try to seek here, on reboot.pro.