• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 8 Support

Started by humbert, August 07, 2012, 04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 13, 2014, 08:58 AM
I got  my 5750 for 170$ in 2011-12.
Did u do clean install of driver as said by amd,that is use their driver uninstaller software or Display Driver Uninstaller(DDU) and see if that resolves ur problem.Create a restore point before proceeding.install MSI afterburner 3.0.1 and msi kombustor 3.0(64bit) and bench it using insane setting for memory,gpu core,tess etc see if artifacts pop up and also see clock speed and memory usage as indicated in kombustor if there is problem RMA ur card.

Is this driver uninstall because you're switching from AMD to NVidia or what?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 15, 2014, 04:10 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 13, 2014, 08:58 AM
I got  my 5750 for 170$ in 2011-12.
Did u do clean install of driver as said by amd,that is use their driver uninstaller software or Display Driver Uninstaller(DDU) and see if that resolves ur problem.Create a restore point before proceeding.install MSI afterburner 3.0.1 and msi kombustor 3.0(64bit) and bench it using insane setting for memory,gpu core,tess etc see if artifacts pop up and also see clock speed and memory usage as indicated in kombustor if there is problem RMA ur card.

Is this driver uninstall because you're switching from AMD to NVidia or what?
Amd recommends to clean  previous remnants of drivers before installing their new ccc 14.4 for each driver update which increases driver stability.You know how win registry works & how messy it gets if any one value changes from 0 to 1 & vice versa.

Vasudev

Who makes & distributes latest slipstreamed windows 8.1

bRoKeNwInDoWs

So I was given a new HATEway CRAPtop for my Birthday, which included "I HATE" Windows 8...I couldn't get used to the stupid tiles, so, as a last resort, before throwing my hands in the air & sending it back in frustration, I put out a search on Google "how to make windows 8 look like XP"....and I found an AWESOME lil prog called "classic Shell"! It puts the start button back where it belongs & has a TON of "tweaks" you can do to customize it & has made using "I HATE" Windows 8 useable & actually a pleasant experience! I am NOT trying to plug anyone's software, but thought this one was worth mentioning as I KNOW there HAS to be more out there like me who are extremely FRUSTRATED with the new BROKENwindows8! ;)

humbert

Quote from: bRoKeNwInDoWs on July 25, 2014, 09:52 AM
So I was given a new HATEway CRAPtop for my Birthday, which included "I HATE" Windows 8...I couldn't get used to the stupid tiles, so, as a last resort, before throwing my hands in the air & sending it back in frustration, I put out a search on Google "how to make windows 8 look like XP"....and I found an AWESOME lil prog called "classic Shell"! It puts the start button back where it belongs & has a TON of "tweaks" you can do to customize it & has made using "I HATE" Windows 8 useable & actually a pleasant experience! I am NOT trying to plug anyone's software, but thought this one was worth mentioning as I KNOW there HAS to be more out there like me who are extremely FRUSTRATED with the new BROKENwindows8! ;)

You are terribly mistaken! Honestly, did you even try to learn something about the start screen, or did you simply assume it was too difficult? if you tried to learn it you'd realize it's the best thing MS ever did! To launch a program, all you do is hit the Windows key once and single-click on a huge hard-to-miss tile. The old start menu, by comparison, is a real pain and not easy to use - to even find your icon requires moving left, right, left and right...  Also, the start screen is highly configurable. You put only the tiles you use, group them any way you want, and hide the ones you don't use. As of Windows 8.1 you can resize them too.

Also -> I refer to the start screen above only as an app launcher. I do not like the Metro interface nor do I use any Metro apps.

scarface

For humbert and for those who don't like the metro interface
http://uptobox.com/feq7zi3axrhk

Fxxk Metro disables Metro completely when it is executed. It needs to be noted that this is only valid for the active session.
The simplest way to make it run every time you logon automatically is to use Win+R to open the Run box. Type "shell:startup" to bring up the startup folder. Just copy FxxkMetro.exe to this location so it runs every time you logon. You will see a black command prompt window open up for an instant and then it will disappear. There is nothing else to it. No system try icon or anything like that. To remove it from startup, simply remove the file from the startup folder.

humbert

The only thing I do like about the Metro interface is the start screen. I don't really care for any Metro apps, and I do agree the interface is more for phones and tablets than anything else. MS is promising to allow you to fully resize Metro apps and allow them to run on the desktop. That's a welcome improvement.

What I detest to the bone is the old start menu.

scarface

The next update for windows 8.1 will perhaps bring back the old start menu. I'm already imagining Humbert making a fuss. http://www.morningledger.com/windows-start-menu-could-return-with-8-1-update-2/137279/

A humbert: si tu prévois de venir a paris mi septembre, préviens moi. J'aurais surement un appartement libre pour quelques temps et je déménage 500 metres plus loin. Je peux te faire un prix d'ami, disons 500E pour deux semaines, plus caution.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on August 10, 2014, 10:57 PM
The next update for windows 8.1 will perhaps bring back the old start menu. I'm already imagining Humbert making a fuss. http://www.morningledger.com/windows-start-menu-could-return-with-8-1-update-2/137279/

As long as they still offer the option of using the start screen, I'm happy.

Quote from: scarface on August 10, 2014, 10:57 PM
A humbert: si tu prévois de venir a paris mi septembre, préviens moi. J'aurais surement un appartement libre pour quelques temps et je déménage 500 metres plus loin. Je peux te faire un prix d'ami, disons 500E pour deux semaines, plus caution.

I wish I could take you up on your offer. My lady is the first one who would love it. Sadly I don't think it'll be possible.  :(

robertmo

Quote from: humbert on July 26, 2014, 12:52 AMAlso, the start screen is highly configurable.
It is somewhat strange that win8's start menu puts all program's subfolders into the main program folder making a total mess there...