• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

About Saudi Arabia

Started by humbert, August 13, 2012, 05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Nawab - you tole me I could ask you about Saudi Arabia, so I'm taking you up on your offer. There are so many things I'd like to know, and given the misinformation you get on TV, getting at the truth is often not easy.

When you responded to me concerning the time, did you say it was prayer time or what?

For starters, what city do you live in? I know when Muslims pray they face Mecca. What if you live in Mecca? Do you face the Kabalah or another place or structure?

How bad is internet censorship over there? Is it true any connections to pr0n sites aren't allowed? What else do they censor, if anything?

More queries will follow  :) ;)

The Nawab

QuoteWhen you responded to me concerning the time, did you say it was prayer time or what?

Yeah, It Was Prayer Time. [Fajr]

QuoteFor starters, what city do you live in?

Tabuk [Also Spelled As Tabouk]

QuoteWhat if you live in Mecca? Do you face the Kabalah or another place or structure?

Yeah, We Face The Kabah.

QuoteHow bad is internet censorship over there? Is it true any connections to pr0n sites aren't allowed? What else do they censor, if anything?

Internet Censorship Is Very Tough Here. All The Po*n Sites Are Banned Here. Some Of The Largest Torrent Sites Are Also Banned Here, Such As, Torrentz, 1337x, ExtraTorrent. TPB Isn't Banned But The Po*n Section Is.

QuoteMore queries will follow

Sure!
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

There Is No God But Allah And Muhammad Is The Messenger Of Allah

humbert

Quote from: The Nawab on August 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Tabuk [Also Spelled As Tabouk]

I found you. A little more and you would have been Jordanian. :)

Yeah, We Face The Kabah.

Yes, no disrespect intended, I just got the name wrong. I learned about it on a National Geographic TV show about the Hajj.

Internet Censorship Is Very Tough Here. All The Po*n Sites Are Banned Here. Some Of The Largest Torrent Sites Are Also Banned Here, Such As, Torrentz, 1337x, ExtraTorrent. TPB Isn't Banned But The Po*n Section Is.

It doesn't make too much sense that they'd censor the sites you mention above but not TPB, especially given the fact that their pr0n section IS censored. It reminds me of when I was a child in Catholic school many years ago. If 2 students were caught, one with an automatic weapon and drugs, and the other with a Playboy magazine, the punishment would be much more severe for the guy with the magazine! When will they ever learn?

What about the use of the life savers Bladeshark mentioned, i.e., HideMyAss and anonymizer.com? Can they be used?

Incidentally, I've heard a lot about the Mutahwah (religious police). Suppose you ("you" is indefinite) somehow found a way to leech pr0n and were caught. Would they flog you or what? If you were walking the street and prayer time arrived, would they flog you for not praying? What would happen to a non-Muslim foreigner who was in Saudi on business? (I believe nobody "just visits")

QuoteMore queries will follow
Sure!

Thank you. As I've posted on here many times, you and all the other guys are doing me a favor by answering, never the other way around. I appreciate it.  ;)

The Nawab

QuoteWhat about the use of the life savers Bladeshark mentioned, i.e., HideMyAss and anonymizer.com? Can they be used?

No, They All Are Banned Here. Just Have To Download Them From TPB Or Other Torrent Sites That Aren't Blocked.

QuoteSuppose you ("you" is indefinite) somehow found a way to leech pr0n and were caught. Would they flog you or what?

Actually I Never Did That :P But I Believe The Punishment Will Be Some Days In A Prison.

QuoteIf you were walking the street and prayer time arrived, would they flog you for not praying?

No, They Won't Do Anything. They Just Shout "Salaah, Salaah" (Prayer, Prayer). But, Only If I Run A Store (Any Store), And I Doesn't Close It During Prayer Time, I Will Be Penalized/Fined.

QuoteWhat would happen to a non-Muslim foreigner who was in Saudi on business? (I believe nobody "just visits")

No, Nothing Will Happen To Them. They Are Safe Here As Well. Jews Also Live Here, Birth Here.

And, Sorry For The Late Reply, Actually It's Eid Today, So, I Was Alot Busy In Shopping And Other Household Activities. So, All My Friends, A Happy Eid Mubarak!

Ahmad

Quote from: The Nawab on August 19, 2012, 05:31 AM
So, All My Friends, A Happy Eid Mubarak!

And to you and all who you care about, dear brother.  :)
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

The Nawab

humbert

No, They All Are Banned Here. Just Have To Download Them From TPB Or Other Torrent Sites That Aren't Blocked.

Hmmm... that they would hide anonimzer.org makes sense, what I wonder about is HideMyAss. This is a Firefox add-on available on their site or under search in Firefox's extension page. Can they block the download of just a few objectionable add-ons without blocking the entire site? As I see it, blocking pr0n on TPB makes sense since it's entire section there.

Actually I Never Did That :P But I Believe The Punishment Will Be Some Days In A Prison.

I guess we'd have to talk to a guy who not only downloaded pr0n, but was caught in the act. I'd hate to be that guy. :o

No, They Won't Do Anything. They Just Shout "Salaah, Salaah" (Prayer, Prayer). But, Only If I Run A Store (Any Store), And I Doesn't Close It During Prayer Time, I Will Be Penalized/Fined.

I'm confused here. You'd be fined for running into a non-closing store, but not for just standing there and doing nothing? As for the stores, they all have to close or what? How long do they remain closed, 15 minutes or something like that? Finally, I know there are 5 prayer times a day. Time #1 is early and #4 & #5 are late (past business hours). Does this mean 2 closings for prayer per day? I assume Friday everything shuts down, right?

No, Nothing Will Happen To Them. They Are Safe Here As Well. Jews Also Live Here, Birth Here.

The Jews you mention, are they Saudi citizens living peacefully over there? If so, are they even allowed to hold private prayer services in someone's home given that it's illegal to build churches or synagogues? While I'm on the subject, what about those people who are simply not devout? I refer to people who respect others and don't mess with the government, but don't pray, read the Qur'an or generally don't follow any religion?

I don't know what the situation today is for travelers, but years ago when I started working my bosses were interested in entering that market. I remember looking up the Saudi government's visa requirements. One requirement was (if the applicant is a Christian) a copy of the certificate of baptism or a letter from the minister of your church attesting you were a member. No Jewish documents were permitted. In other words, you had to prove you weren't a Jew to qualify for a visa. This is why I found your comment about the Jews a little surprising.

And, Sorry For The Late Reply, Actually It's Eid Today, So, I Was Alot Busy In Shopping And Other Household Activities. So, All My Friends, A Happy Eid Mubarak!

May I ask - who is Eid? I see Ahmad knows him too.

The Nawab

QuoteHmmm... that they would hide anonimzer.org makes sense, what I wonder about is HideMyAss. This is a Firefox add-on available on their site or under search in Firefox's extension page. Can they block the download of just a few objectionable add-ons without blocking the entire site? As I see it, blocking pr0n on TPB makes sense since it's entire section there.

HideMyAss Uses Some Proxy Servers That Are All Banned Here.

QuoteI'm confused here. You'd be fined for running into a non-closing store, but not for just standing there and doing nothing? As for the stores, they all have to close or what? How long do they remain closed, 15 minutes or something like that? Finally, I know there are 5 prayer times a day. Time #1 is early and #4 & #5 are late (past business hours). Does this mean 2 closings for prayer per day? I assume Friday everything shuts down, right?

I Meant That A Store Owner. And No, Stores Are Open. But Just On Prayer Times.

QuoteThe Jews you mention, are they Saudi citizens living peacefully over there? If so, are they even allowed to hold private prayer services in someone's home given that it's illegal to build churches or synagogues? While I'm on the subject, what about those people who are simply not devout? I refer to people who respect others and don't mess with the government, but don't pray, read the Qur'an or generally don't follow any religion?

I don't know what the situation today is for travelers, but years ago when I started working my bosses were interested in entering that market. I remember looking up the Saudi government's visa requirements. One requirement was (if the applicant is a Christian) a copy of the certificate of baptism or a letter from the minister of your church attesting you were a member. No Jewish documents were permitted. In other words, you had to prove you weren't a Jew to qualify for a visa. This is why I found your comment about the Jews a little surprising.

Yes. They Live Peacefully Here. But They Don't Offer Any Kind Of Prayer. They Forget Their Prayers Here. Yep. For Some Reasons And Some Time They Keep Blocking Jews.

QuoteMay I ask - who is Eid? I see Ahmad knows him too.

lol. It's A Festival. Probably Muslim Festival.

humbert

Quote from: The Nawab on August 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
HideMyAss Uses Some Proxy Servers That Are All Banned Here.

Certainly there must be *some* way to get around these restrictions. I have a hard time believing someone hasn't figured something out.

I Meant That A Store Owner. And No, Stores Are Open. But Just On Prayer Times.

I'm confused. Who would be arrested - the store owner for not closing, you for not praying, or you for running into the store if it remained open?

Yes. They Live Peacefully Here. But They Don't Offer Any Kind Of Prayer. They Forget Their Prayers Here. Yep. For Some Reasons And Some Time They Keep Blocking Jews.

I'm thinking these people are Jewish only by family, otherwise they're as Saudi as anyone else.

lol. It's A Festival. Probably Muslim Festival.

Yes, I have a red face - the moring after I asked the question I saw a BBC news report about some Muslims celebrating that festival. Just one thing - no mention of Mubarak on TV. I think you mentioned that name.

The Nawab

QuoteCertainly there must be *some* way to get around these restrictions. I have a hard time believing someone hasn't figured something out.

No. There Isn't. If I'd Like To Unblock Those Sites I Will Use Hotspot Shield. By Downloading The Older Version From TPB And Then The Newer Version From The Official Site.

QuoteI'm confused. Who would be arrested - the store owner for not closing, you for not praying, or you for running into the store if it remained open?

The store owner for not closing. If I Would Not Pray And Just Walk Here And There On Streets. They Won't Do Anything. And If I Go To That Store Which Is Remained Open, I Believe Some Warnings Will Be Released.

QuoteI'm thinking these people are Jewish only by family, otherwise they're as Saudi as anyone else.

yes.

QuoteYes, I have a red face - the moring after I asked the question I saw a BBC news report about some Muslims celebrating that festival. Just one thing - no mention of Mubarak on TV. I think you mentioned that name.

"Mubarak" Means Congratulations. Or Happy. Something Like "Happy Eid".