• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Can you believe this?

Started by humbert, October 19, 2012, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

@humbert
Maybe you are right in your suspects. I heared a rumors, that on some ASUS (and from other vendors too!) motherboards, south bridges can't work correct with additional SATA ports, because that ports are operating by additional controller, which is not fully compatible with internal south bridge controller --> so from where errors starts.

A situation with disc and its visibility under different OSes looks strange and misterious to me.  :)
How works disc subsystem on modern bords?
[DISC CONTROLLER] --> [SATA CONTROLLER (AHCI) --> BIOS] --> [Windows HAL --> DRIVER --> Win Applications].
|------- disc ----------|       |------------ motheboard ---------------|       |--------------------- Windows ------------------------|
Something like this (Am I correct?)
So, what (in bounds of that chain) is the difference between when you using Win8 and CD boot Win?
Or, maybe (conspirology mode on) Windows 8 is not allowed to see such disc? "Hu-um-m, ye-es?" ;D

@Ahmad
Glad to help you, comrade!  :)

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on October 21, 2012, 08:11 AM
@humbert
Maybe you are right in your suspects. I heared a rumors, that on some ASUS (and from other vendors too!) motherboards, south bridges can't work correct with additional SATA ports, because that ports are operating by additional controller, which is not fully compatible with internal south bridge controller --> so from where errors starts.

I believe this was the problem. When I hooked the HD back on, I did it on SATA 5. I didn't occur to me that if SATA 5 is set to AHCI the motherboard won't see it, but the OS will if it supports AHCI. This still doesn't explain why Win-8 didn't pick up, but Hirens did.