• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What games are you playing?

Started by aa1234779, October 27, 2012, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 04, 2016, 04:14 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 01, 2016, 04:10 PM
Not sure if it requires a SLI bridge, but well basically, go into the Nvidia control panel -> Set 3d Preferences -> Set PhysX Configuration, and select the older card to calc physx.
Will most likely not look the same for you, because I'm running my Intel cpu as gfx card at the moment because I'm not having any games up

Did you ever run this test yourself? I'm asking because, as I recall, the first time I ran 2 video cards instead of 1, even before booting up I got a warning message that no SLI bridge was connected. In my case an SLI bridge is out of the question, Nvidia says a GTX-970 and GTX-660 won't mix.
No, but according to several causes you can use a seperate gpu as physx.  How come an SLI cable is out of question?
http://www.volnapc.com/all-posts/how-much-difference-does-a-dedicated-physx-card-make
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-to-install-and-configure-a-dedicated-physx-video-card/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M - Linus tech tips. This is not the case for you though, because you have a much better card you would use for physx.

humbert

Regarding the use of a 2nd video card for PhysX, of all the links the video is most informative. For starters, there is no need for SLI. With my setup SLI is not possible. According to NVidia SLI will work only if both cards have the same GPU and the same amount of RAM. The GTX-970 has a GM-204-200 with 4GB RAM, the GTX-660 has GK-106-400 with 2GB RAM i.e., they're SLI incompatible.

Another important observation in the video is that when the guy ran the GTX-580 with the old GT-6600, PhysX ran slower because the old card was a bottleneck. I his case only by running a GTX-550Ti or higher could it be faster. I'm assuming this precisely my situation. The GTX-970 is much faster than the GTX-660 which would create a bottleneck. Add to this that the GTX-660 is a power hog and runs very hot under load. The GTX-970 is much more efficient and runs very cool. Reinstalled the 550VA PSU with no problem.

I might add that D3 is a heavy PhysX game and even gives you the option to disable it in its configuration (for those with slower cards). I have PhysX enable with everything set to maximum and the game runs great, extremely realistic - and this is at 3840x2160 60FPS!

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 06, 2016, 04:46 AM
Regarding the use of a 2nd video card for PhysX, of all the links the video is most informative. For starters, there is no need for SLI. With my setup SLI is not possible. According to NVidia SLI will work only if both cards have the same GPU and the same amount of RAM. The GTX-970 has a GM-204-200 with 4GB RAM, the GTX-660 has GK-106-400 with 2GB RAM i.e., they're SLI incompatible.

Another important observation in the video is that when the guy ran the GTX-580 with the old GT-6600, PhysX ran slower because the old card was a bottleneck. I his case only by running a GTX-550Ti or higher could it be faster. I'm assuming this precisely my situation. The GTX-970 is much faster than the GTX-660 which would create a bottleneck. Add to this that the GTX-660 is a power hog and runs very hot under load. The GTX-970 is much more efficient and runs very cool. Reinstalled the 550VA PSU with no problem.

I might add that D3 is a heavy PhysX game and even gives you the option to disable it in its configuration (for those with slower cards). I have PhysX enable with everything set to maximum and the game runs great, extremely realistic - and this is at 3840x2160 60FPS!
Doesnt hurt to try though :b

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 06, 2016, 04:49 AM

I guess running a test never hurts :)

What are you doing awake at this ungodly hour? According to several weather sites it's raining over there. Go to sleep!  :) ;)

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 06, 2016, 04:55 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 06, 2016, 04:49 AM

I guess running a test never hurts :)

What are you doing awake at this ungodly hour? According to several weather sites it's raining over there. Go to sleep!  :) ;)
Been feeling really down lately. Family is stressing me out, so its honestly just a way to avoid the family.
It's been raining heavy rain drops (like, small amounts, but loud big drops)
Been really nice weather without heat the last days. Its much better than having to sweat and feel miserable haha!

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 06, 2016, 05:09 AM
Been feeling really down lately. Family is stressing me out, so its honestly just a way to avoid the family.
Been really nice weather without heat the last days. Its much better than having to sweat and feel miserable haha!

Is it so bad that it keeps you awake at night?

I'm also a heat hater. Sadly here during summer it's from 35° to 40°C every day. In the morning about 26°-28°C (the lowest during these months). My electric bill is though the roof, the A/C is on almost all the time.  :(

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 08, 2016, 05:48 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 06, 2016, 05:09 AM

Is it so bad that it keeps you awake at night?

I'm also a heat hater. Sadly here during summer it's from 35° to 40°C every day. In the morning about 26°-28°C (the lowest during these months). My electric bill is though the roof, the A/C is on almost all the time.  :(
Yes, it keeps me awake alot ^^

Anyway, have you invested in solar?
If you have a basement, try spending time there, the below-ground will automatically cool it down. Thats what I do.. :b

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 08, 2016, 07:51 PM

I've looked at that and it's not viable. The cost of installing 5kW panels is about $10,000 or more - I will take maybe 20-30 years to pay it off with electric power savings. Chances are I won't be around 30 years from now.

If you have a basement, try spending time there, the below-ground will automatically cool it down. Thats what I do.. :b

No basement. The house is built on a concrete slab. Come to think of it, one thing I've observed is that there are rarely any basements in places where is doesn't snow. It seems the further north you go, the more basements you see.

Have you ever been to a place with a tropical climate?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on July 11, 2016, 05:24 AM

I've looked at that and it's not viable. The cost of installing 5kW panels is about $10,000 or more - I will take maybe 20-30 years to pay it off with electric power savings. Chances are I won't be around 30 years from now.

No basement. The house is built on a concrete slab. Come to think of it, one thing I've observed is that there are rarely any basements in places where is doesn't snow. It seems the further north you go, the more basements you see.

Have you ever been to a place with a tropical climate?
Uh.. Crete, and islands to the west of Morocco.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 13, 2016, 08:32 PM
Uh.. Crete, and islands to the west of Morocco.

Crete's not exactly tropical, although it can certainly warm up there during the summer months. With respect to the islands west of Morocco, I assume you mean Spain's Canary Islands. I believe they have a sub-tropical climate. :)