• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What games are you playing?

Started by aa1234779, October 27, 2012, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

to Vasudev: at least you don't mind showing you have quite a low connection speed. Besides me, humbert and shadow.97, few users without fiber-optic connection have already showed their speed tests. Most probably we are hardly representative of the forum. Actually those who are "geeks" often have good connections, and those who have slow speeds don't care about it. Well, in fact you have a internet speed close to the one of my father who is living in a rural area (not in Bangalore, India)- and who is paying practically the same as I pay, but he doesn't really care.

jacobcarl

Hi. now i am playing GTA V game really interesting. Anyone tried this game ?

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on October 21, 2016, 01:38 AM
to Vasudev: at least you don't mind showing you have quite a low connection speed. Besides me, humbert and shadow.97, few users without fiber-optic connection have already showed their speed tests. Most probably we are hardly representative of the forum. Actually those who are "geeks" often have good connections, and those who have slow speeds don't care about it. Well, in fact you have a internet speed close to the one of my father who is living in a rural area (not in Bangalore, India)- and who is paying practically the same as I pay, but he doesn't really care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xPcFyNpFJY
@scarface: So, Humb, you, shadow97, Danil aren't on FTTH and getting these speeds? Today at my college, we got an amped up data limit to 4GB( from 512 megs and <50KBps speed limit) and 30MB down and 100MB upspeeds and I had to download some updates and drivers and finished the whole thing in under an hour. I missed my Visual Studio IDE download when my data limit was reached.

Shadow.97

Quote from: jacobcarl on October 21, 2016, 08:48 AM
Hi. now i am playing GTA V game really interesting. Anyone tried this game ?
I played this quite a bit. Last played 2 days ago with a friend online. I have 170 hours on record :)

Quote from: Vasudev on October 21, 2016, 06:59 PM
Quote from: scarface on October 21, 2016, 01:38 AM
@scarface: So, Humb, you, shadow97, Danil aren't on FTTH and getting these speeds? Today at my college, we got an amped up data limit to 4GB( from 512 megs and <50KBps speed limit) and 30MB down and 100MB upspeeds and I had to download some updates and drivers and finished the whole thing in under an hour. I missed my Visual Studio IDE download when my data limit was reached.
I am not entirely sure if I currently have FTTH. I do believe I have, because Sweden has done massive investment in FTTH. I am very certain I have Fiber to a very very close point anyhow. Becuase I currently live in an appartment, they could have pulled fibre cables to a box right outside the appartments, and then pulled copper the last bit without huge speed/ping losses.
My parents house down south has FTTH.
About mobile deals. I paid around 16 USD for 20GB data, with a speed of around 40-80Mbit depending on the area. Ofcourse, within 4g range. Although sweden has really good 4g/3g coverage.
I changed my deal though, because I've started doing calls.. (Mainly telephone queues ripping me off) I used to pay around 1/10th of a dollar per minute. Now I pay around 25$ for infinite calls, text(including image texts) and 20gb data.
I use around 7GB each month with normal usage. (Videos, maybe a few pdf's, forgetting to turn on Wifi and such)
I'd be fine on 5GB, but I like having the freedom of not caring if i forget my 4g on. It's also nice knowing that if I want to, I can connect my pc anywhere(Because I got extra simcards that use the cellular data, and I have it in a 4G dongle).
It works superb.

It's facinating though, today alot of the web was down. (because of Dyn). This is why we need local backups. My friend had a local DNS that he allowed me to use to look up IP's. I was rescued.  ::) But still, exams in a week and the schools webpage for login was down. Meaning, no internet at school and also no network for a majority of pages at home. I ended up doing around 3 hours studies and then play some Counterstrike and League of legends with friends. Yesterday, it was 3 months since my last game in League of legends. I really don't like that game anymore, they havnt stepped up to the competition.

TALKING ABOUT GAMES!
Macs. Macs cant game? Right?
They do play games, but most of them can be run just as well under Ubuntu.
I recently traded an old laptop(I dont remember if I told the forum about this) for a macbook pro mid 2010.
The harddrive started clicking after around 2 days of usage. So I replaced it with a preowned ssd for 20$.
The laptop starts fast now, and so does it shutting down. But there is no noticable gain inside of the OS.
Opening apps, such as Firefox, safari or texteditors are not noticably faster. Perhaps its because of the ssd's age.
I don't know. I dont care, I just didnt want a laptop with a dying harddrive.

Things I hate so far:
The keyboard layout is not the same as on Windows. (fn, ctrl, alt, option etc. are in the wrong location.)
No option to allow the pc to keep running with a closed lid. You'll have to download an application online to do that.
To connect remotely through Mac OSX's native remote desktop on a windows machine, you'll have to use VNC. The password will be sent encrypted, but not the session itself. Security flaww!
You can not disable mouse acceleration(Perhaps you can with a 3rd party app but... Yeah..)
The 2010 model does not allow 1333mhz ram, it causes Bios Panic. You'll have to have atleast one stick of 1033mhz ram. This means, that I have to run the laptop with 5GB ram. (Instead of normal 2gb). I've hit 3.5 gb 2 times so far.

What I love:
It's alot like Ubuntu visually.
Somehow it feels unusually smooth.
It's hard to mess up some critical component by accident.
I find it easier to understand what the functions do. (In the settings panel)
Installing apps. Wow, no clicking Next, Next, accept, Next Install. Yeah..

In 10 years I'll be running linux as primary OS.

Vasudev

I know its a little off-topic, but this is important.  Does anybody has an idea on how to mantain co-existenance of different OpenCL ICD on Ubuntu,  I'm unsuccessful with intel OpenCL and NV CUDA to get working together. Tried every methods, but no success. So, I'm thinking of trying it on W10. Currently, downloading VS 2015, so far only 1.5GB download since 4-5hrs. Bad connection and bad timing.

humbert

Briefly going back to the subject of speeds.

Vasudev -> Clearly testmy.net is only useful if you're stuck with very low bandwidth, which is your case. As you can see for yourself, when you've got fiber testmy.net is all but useless. The massive differences you saw are inexcusable. These people need to modernize their service fast, every day that passes you'll see more and more fiber.

I'm assuming FTTH means "fiber to the house". This isn't exactly my case. There's fiber to the node, and from there it's a coaxial cable to the modem. Google is in the process of constructing an all-fiber system here.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on October 25, 2016, 04:59 AM
Briefly going back to the subject of speeds.

Vasudev -> Clearly testmy.net is only useful if you're stuck with very low bandwidth, which is your case. As you can see for yourself, when you've got fiber testmy.net is all but useless. The massive differences you saw are inexcusable. These people need to modernize their service fast, every day that passes you'll see more and more fiber.

I'm assuming FTTH means "fiber to the house". This isn't exactly my case. There's fiber to the node, and from there it's a coaxial cable to the modem. Google is in the process of constructing an all-fiber system here.
FTTH= Fiber to the Home, so very close!
Personally, Fiber to the node, then Coaxial or other method to the house is my currently prefered method because it's cheaper per meter. The disadvantage is that houses far from the node will suffer from worse response times.

In games, speed does matter, but not alot. on a 1.5Mbit down 0.5 mbit connection you will be able to play alot of games. I can't come up with a game on the spot that requires higher speeds, unless you're the lobby host.
If you play over 4G networks, you'll likely see response times from 30, to 100ms. Most often these will have jitter. The jitter will cause issues in games that you play online.
A while ago when I was searching for a place to live, I stayed at a hotel with horrible wifi. (connection drops, too many users on one network) 4G was the only option. I got speeds from 10mbit to around 30. It depended on the time and wheather. I played some Counterstrike (Global Offensive). It theoretically worked, but in practice the bullet registration was a mess. It was very hard to hit any bullets. Enemies popping up from behind walls and instantly killing you, before you get to see them. (Note, I'm used to 5MS ping in CSGO.) I've played alot on American servers (Westcoast 230ms~). I'd say that the 4g network brings around the same disadvantage as 230ms ping. Just because of the heavy jitter. When I play on the north east US server (Sterling) I do notice that there is some lag, but it is playable and enjoyable.
Here's a server map for Counterstrike's servers. I am quite sure that GTA5 uses the same servers. Or atleast the same IP ranges.

For the average internet user, FTTH is a waste of money. Except for computer geeks and gamers(and some others ofcourse...) 50/10Mbit is sufficient with a responsetime of 20ms to the closest node.
I was thinking some a few days ago, i saw that some US company has datacaps on Fiber. It got me thinking. I would hate a cap on download, but I could accept a cap on upload. That could be used to prevent DDoS, seedboxes etc.
I got around 400GB uploaded data the last month. A cap on 100GB would get me on my knees. But the average Joe would not notice such a cap.

Talking about Battlefield 3 & 4. I definately agree with Scarface. Battlefield 3 has something that brings spirit to the game that Battlefield 4 is missing. I would buy Battlefield 1. But it's a damn ripoff to get the full version with the future DLCs.

If you want to try a game that is alot like Sims, but for computers.. I would really suggest Software inc. It is quite cheap on Steam. It's currently in Alpha but is very playable. You are the CEO of a company, and you make the company grow. (or shrink) You build the buildings, and make people make software for you!

Fun fact, I currently have these games installed on my computer:
League of Legends
Minecraft
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 3
Battlefield 4
Overwatch
Starcraft 2(Triology)
Counterstrike 1.6
Counterstrike Global Offensive
Dirt Rally
Dirt 3
Fallout 4
Software inc.
Minesweeper(XP Edition)
Runescape
Grand theft Auto 5
Spyro Year of the Dragon (PS1 emulator)

That said. These are all decent/good games.

I hope you're all doing good. University is stressing me out, and I have my final exam this Friday.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 25, 2016, 04:59 AM

They're marketing terms, but pure fiber cables are costly and infrastructure is complex. To be precise FTTB/C is the correct one.

humbert

@Shadow -> If all you do is play games and download a large file every now and then, clearly anything over 100 Mbps is overkill unless there is no other way to get good ping times. This isn't my case. I have had at the same time 10 large torrents downloading, 2 TV's streaming 4K video, and other 20 clients on my router doing all sorts of other things. In a month I usually bring down 400 to 500GB of data.

@Vasudev -> FTTH might be costly, be here in the USA 2 companies (Google and AT&T) are installing it meter by meter. Hopefully one of the 2 companies will reach my neighborhood in the coming year. I recently visited a friend in Mexico. Her apartment already has it. I looked at the modem which said "optical" and the company's cable to the modem is a thin cable with a piece of glass at the end where the connector is.

Bottom line - this is the future.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on October 27, 2016, 05:15 AM
@Shadow -> If all you do is play games and download a large file every now and then, clearly anything over 100 Mbps is overkill unless there is no other way to get good ping times. This isn't my case. I have had at the same time 10 large torrents downloading, 2 TV's streaming 4K video, and other 20 clients on my router doing all sorts of other things. In a month I usually bring down 400 to 500GB of data.

@Vasudev -> FTTH might be costly, be here in the USA 2 companies (Google and AT&T) are installing it meter by meter. Hopefully one of the 2 companies will reach my neighborhood in the coming year. I recently visited a friend in Mexico. Her apartment already has it. I looked at the modem which said "optical" and the company's cable to the modem is a thin cable with a piece of glass at the end where the connector is.

Bottom line - this is the future.
@humb: How many people are there in your house? 20 clients??? At my place, 4 clients connected to the dongle gives sluggish speeds. Do you still get access to torrents, I was unsuccessful till very end in finding some torrents in TPB.
Recently, my classmate is studying in the US, IIRC he's in Georgia using VZW with 1Gbps downlink & 100-200Megs uplink.