• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Which FREE Anti-Virus and Firewall suites are good??

Started by jabronie, December 18, 2012, 08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabronie

Hey everybody,

I was wondering some good choices for free anti virus and firewall suites. I have the trail version of AVG 2013 and will run out in a few days. just wondering which ones are good for being free, I was thinking of going with zone alarm for firewall and prob avg free version for anti virus, thanks in advance
_cheers

humbert

Here on the forum on several occasions I've seen surveys regarding the best antivirus programs, both free and paid. I don't remember the link, but you might want to do a search for it.

I'm assuming you're running XP. If you're running Windows 7 or 8, in all honesty I wouldn't even bother to search for a 3rd party antivirus. The one Microsoft includes works great. I've been using just that for 3½ years now and I've never run into a problem.

Daniil

I don't trust M$ antivirus system. Well, I know Windows well, I know how vulnerable it can be. I can't believe that antivirus, integrated into unstable "by default" system, can work fine. 3 with a half years of works mean nothing, user even may not know that a virus live in he's system!
I can recommend Comodo Antivirus suite.

atticus

I usually use Windows built-in firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't had a virus ever since I've first used a computer. That just goes to show how far common sense will get you. I've heard Comodo makes a pretty good firewall.

Daniil

Well, in my practice I saw a Win98 which worked fine and well for 3,5 years. Win98! And it don't just stay and sleep, its owner used that computer as workstation, for office, web-surfing (with p0rn, ICQ chats, downloads and all other!), gaming... Maybe it could work further, but we installed XP.
So yes, a common sence may help, but some mechanical support for it always usefull.

joe12998

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials. They bought the core technology from Giant. I have used Norton and McAfee as well and didn't like them much.

Odlanyer22

I go for avast! Internet Security and at the same time USB Disk Security. (No conflict)
Learning Is Continuous Process . . . ;)