• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

VPN's & Hiding IP address

Started by humbert, December 28, 2012, 06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

It's up again, it's down when Piratebay is down :)
My real IP
http://tinypic.com/r/2samc95/6
Censored. some parts
With proxy
http://tinypic.com/r/dpe0ck/6
Non-Censored, Also you cannot host Games and remote desctop (what i am aware of) behind it. It works with Teamviewer.

humbert

@Shadow
Fortunately only rarely is TPB down. Even if they're hit they always come back, this time having learned from their experience and applying that knowledge. You gotta admire their resiliency.

Let me see if I understand what's happening. The first link is your real IP and goes through no proxy (beginning with 213.XXX...), and the second goes through a proxy. Where exactly is this site and how is it that one URL takes me through a proxy and the other doesn't?

As you might know, here in America we are not yet facing the problems you guys are having in Europe. There has been a lot of talk, but so far no action - the internet here is NOT censored, or at least not as of today's date. For the moment all I'm trying to do is make services such as Netflix and Hulu think I'm in America when in fact I'm below our southern border. Even then, all I'm looking to do is browse what they have and edit my queue for when I get home. Viewing a movie on my computer at my in-law's house is possible - their internet connection is far too slow and you've got several people feeding off the same pipe. Also, they are mentally old and think having internet is no different than having a phone line - you either have one or you don't. There's no point educating them, they won't understand.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on January 09, 2013, 04:43 AM
@Shadow
Fortunately only rarely is TPB down. Even if they're hit they always come back, this time having learned from their experience and applying that knowledge. You gotta admire their resiliency.

Let me see if I understand what's happening. The first link is your real IP and goes through no proxy (beginning with 213.XXX...), and the second goes through a proxy. Where exactly is this site and how is it that one URL takes me through a proxy and the other doesn't?

As you might know, here in America we are not yet facing the problems you guys are having in Europe. There has been a lot of talk, but so far no action - the internet here is NOT censored, or at least not as of today's date. For the moment all I'm trying to do is make services such as Netflix and Hulu think I'm in America when in fact I'm below our southern border. Even then, all I'm looking to do is browse what they have and edit my queue for when I get home. Viewing a movie on my computer at my in-law's house is possible - their internet connection is far too slow and you've got several people feeding off the same pipe. Also, they are mentally old and think having internet is no different than having a phone line - you either have one or you don't. There's no point educating them, they won't understand.
The internet here is not censored here what i am aware of though, my schools net is censored/p2p blocked but i just tether from my phone and use privitize to decrease ping/latency for games.
Though one can be jailed or get fined but the chances are very low that you get caught + there are lawyers specialized too help the ones being in court because of piracy.
Nono its not going thru a URL instead of sending the info from my router to destination router all my info goes to the 46. address, so i cannot either log my outgoing connections.
Exception is everything going through ipv6 i believe and things behing my router like between my school laptop and normal tower pc. Also what internet speed are you getting at home and what are you using? I am currently on 100mbitdown 10 up fibrecable.

humbert

@Shadow - when you use your phone as a tether, do you mean you set up a WiFi hotspot and connect the computer at school to it, therefore bypassing their restrictions? If so then the connection to the internet comes from your provider through their cell towers. If so, what data plan to you have with them. In my case I bought only 300 MB/month because I don't go out all that often. If I did I'd have to buy 3 GB or 5 GB packages, which are obviously more expensive.

Here many cell carriers who sell "unlimited" packages usually throtte your speed after you go beyond 2 GB in a month.

About your connection - where exactly is 46.XXX? Is that a proxy server located someplace where there are only reindeer and no humans?  :)

As for internet speed, you confirmed something I've known forever - that you Swedes are far more advanced than we are. I'm paying for the best connection my ISP offers (50 Mpbs down / 5 Mbps up). In newer neighborhoods they have fiber to the tap. Older ones have fiber to the node - coax from there to the tap. I'm curious as to what setup your ISP has. I don't think they'd have fiber all the way to your router. Do they? I asked cable guys here about that and they keep telling me fiber is hard to handle and very fragile. I'm not surprised -- it's all glass inside.

Shadow.97

I can order up to 100Mbit down and up here, and max if i get out from the city network (wexnet) i can get speeds up to 1000Mbit  down for 1000SEK (1 usd about 6-8sek)
Uhm, almost all providers offer over 3 GB monthly i had a restriction on 500 MB month but it is not a good provider overpriced and not good coverage, i will probably buy a new phone within weeks and it will atleast have 3GB monthly, maybe 15. Also Telenor gives out unlimited data but only on 3G (30mbit) And if you get for example Halebop(spelling may be incorrect) you can buy aditional data, 500Mb for 20-30SEK, 3Gb 70 sek, 10 gb 150 sek i believe it was.
If telenor detects that you abuse your connection for uploading or downloading they may place restrictions on your internet (so you dont make other's internet go slower)
And no, if you trace the IP you will end up somewhere in swedens middle.

Also, we have fibre from a local City net that comes to our house(our wall i believe) then a modem and then we have 1 switch goes to TV and PC's downstairs, and upstairs one cable goes to the router and a cable  from the router into my room with a switch so i can fully use my 100Mbit on both my computers Limit on my Router on download is about 80mbit or if it is the laptop not confirmed.
You can read more about my city net here; http://www.wexnet.se/Vaexjoe/Privat.aspx
You can choose from many providers on there and there is a translate button,though it cant translate words with åäö :( but if you ask i'll translate
Also we pay 330 SEK each month for our speed. Including 4 mail accounts, and antivirus + a worthless router(we got a new one)
Our ping to east Denmark is 10-12 MS couple of my friends get as low as 4-5MS there. To new zealand approx 250-300 and basically no jitter at all. (avarage 1-2 jitter)

humbert

I envy everything about Sweden. I wish I could move there, but that's not possible  :) Just for starters, I pay the same price for exactly half the speed you have. Even then, by our standards it's not expensive. The prices you mentioned for cellular data service (LTE) are less than half of the prices here. Awesome!

Do I understand you correctly or did you say the city (or government) is the one who installs the fiber so ISP's can use it to sell internet service? I guess it would have to be the case since it makes no sense that all ISP's are out in the street digging ditches. Fiber to the wall is great! You probably also have hundreds of HD channels too. Let me see if can visualize what you've got at home. From the wall a coax cable goes to your cable modem. From there I'm not too clear. Is it that the cable modem has one output only? Also, when you mention "switch" is this some sort of splitter with one input and 2 outputs? Also, unless I misread you've got an awful lot of cables going back and forth. Here what's normally done to use one cable modem as a router with 4 ethernet ports and WiFi. The TV signal is separate (or split) and goes into the TV cable box and from there to the TV via HDMI. If you have trouble with WiFi then you buy a powerline adapter. I have one for streaming HDTV from the internet to the 2nd TV.

I tried to get a translation of the site you mentioned, but Google didn't cooperate.  :(   Let me know on this, it's interesting.

Shadow.97

By the way humbert, i got a new phone, Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE (4g) yet i have never got signal for 4g.
VEAB(a company in sweden fixing things and stuff i dont really know, and a heat company i guess) were going to pull in some warm water so we didnt need our own warm water "box" that has like 300 liter of warm water so we got "infinite" (well the price goes skyhigh then/resources would not last for long) and when they dug the wholes to everyone's house we could get fibre for i think it was 16000SEK without them needing to dig another trench so the digging part became "free" but i dont know how it works wexnet is a company as i see it. I have no idea how this works.
And no, we have a TV "community" with our neighbors so we still use Analog TV for a very low price, meaning it is i think 480P. I was watching a livestream from SVT1 E-Sport and it was way better watching on my computer due to the resolution.
But yes, we can get HD TV at any time we want we just dont want to pay the extra cash for something we are satisfied with at a lower cost..

Why cant you move to sweden??

humbert

I'm a little confused here. You're saying you have a Galaxy S3 and can't get 4G LTE? I'm assuming your provider offers it. In that case when you got the phone certainly you must have run a test at the store just to be sure LTE was working. Then again it could also be that the towers at that location haven't been updated. If your provider offers 4G, then by all means check to see what's going on. As you know, 4G and LTE are extremely fast. I've got it on my Galaxy Note II and it flies.

By the way, have you rooted your phone already and maybe installed a custom ROM? I did it with mine. It's the only way to go.

I'm not to clear as to how you're heating your water. You did explain you had a 300 liter capacity tank, and I assume you mean water heater. When I lived in Miami they were electric, but in San Antonio they all burn natural gas. I'm not too sure about your source of heating fuel.

Does your TV signal come from the same provider as your internet, as is my case? If so, it surprises me they don't have an inexpensive basic HD package. This is because they're heavily into fiber and can easily offer probably thousands of HD channels. Of one thing you can be sure - if you're getting 480p then it's digital - analog maxes out at 480i. Also, can't you get TV through an antenna? I'm almost positive they broadcast digital and in HD. Be that as it may, if you're a football fan (as I am), be sure to get HD by next year, watching the World Cup in 480p is a crime.  :)

Daniil

Hello again, comrades! I'm back! (Had a lot of work, a business trip, and an examination at institute, so had absollutelly no time for internet)
@humbert
Thank you for your explanation, that's very usefull for me.
Answering to your 2) and 4)
-->2) No. You already have a numerical address (IP), which was given to your router. That's your dynamic IP.
In a No-IP application you set your textual address (humbert.no-ip.net).
After a start of No-IP app, it check your numerical address (your IP) and sent it to a No-IP DNS server (a packet with strings like "humbert.no-ip.net ==> 66.69.XYZ.ZYX").
DNS will think a while, and then creates a label in it's routing table, which explains "if someone want sent IP-packets to humbert.no-ip.net, then it must connect to 66.69.XYZ.ZYX".

Anyway, you're correct that last thing on our way is you router.
And, I suppose that if we set No-IP app on PC after a router it will sent to No-IP DNS server 192.168.X.X IP. But I don't know exactly.

Let's make a try, register at No-IP (it's free), set up their program, and make a textual address for you. Then ping this address from outside with DNS tools. (There is menu on the right, a string and a dot selector - Ping, Traceroute, DNS. Set dot to a "Ping", type your textual address to string and click on "Go".) It'll show you a table like^
1.     yourname.no-ip.net      AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD      XXX ms
2.     yourname.no-ip.net      AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD      XXY ms
If AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD is your external IP, then all is good, if it'll show your internal IP, then that's bad and my solution doesn't work.

-->4) That's correct only for chargers, because charging current must be same or less then one for which device accumulator was designed. DC motor will takes only an amount of current it needs, as well as AC motor.

Also, dear friends! Don't post here your IP's, that's not safe. Hide last 6 digits.

As for connection speed, I have 5mbit down/1 mbit up + unlimited phone for 750 RUR (about 25$, 1$ is about 30 rubles). Yeah, I know, that's slow, but for me it's good - all that traffic is real, also, I have a direct internet IP, I have no dumb admins over me, and I have no limits for download/upload.
Also, slow connection is because I now leave in an old district. As I know, in a new districts typical network is combination of fiber channel + twisted pair. FC connects houses to a provider center, and twisted pair connects private apartments to a FC. They offers up to 1000mbit, but I don't believe them. Well, from a private PC to provider there IS in fact 1gbit, but to the internet? I don't think so.

humbert

From what you're telling me and from what I saw at no-ip.com, the idea is to create a human-readable name that the DNS servers will recognize as the IP address the ISP gave me. If the idea were to have a computer to serve as a proxy server and be on all the time, then it makes perfect sense. As you correctly said, the question now is how to get past the router. With these guys you'd have to have their software on your computer, correct? As I think you said, maybe the fact that this software is on there will cause it to intercept any calls to the IP assigned to me. We'd have to to test. We might even have to do some port forwarding.

If we managed to do all this, what proxy software do you recommend?

I'm surprised to learn there are neighborhoods in St Petersburg that have fiber to the house and can in theory get as high as 1 Gbps. BTW, are you your own ISP or what? I'm assuming if you buy service from somebody you'd have to submit to whatever rules they impose.