Author Topic: Discussion about Pagefile.sys  (Read 1743 times)

June 18, 2016, 02:54 AM
Hi, I have tried the latest window 7 uploaded by scarface.
Until now everything works fine, but the only problem is when I try to shut down my pc the window keep stuck at the shutting down screen and won't shut down, so does anyone know what's the problem?
I have no problem with the window 7 I have before but this one.

June 18, 2016, 05:26 AM
Reply #1
Try tweaking page file settings, system restore by setting optimal values to increase SSD space, w10 is also good with minimal system footprint. Also use default disk cleanup to cleanup superseded update and restore some space.

i forgot about the update files with windows disk cleanup....it just gave me back another 3,3gb.
thx!

June 19, 2016, 10:23 AM
Reply #2
  • Global Moderator
Try tweaking page file settings, system restore by setting optimal values to increase SSD space, w10 is also good with minimal system footprint. Also use default disk cleanup to cleanup superseded update and restore some space.

i forgot about the update files with windows disk cleanup....it just gave me back another 3,3gb.
thx!
You're welcome.

June 19, 2016, 10:26 AM
Reply #3
  • Global Moderator
Until now everything works fine, but the only problem is when I try to shut down my pc the window keep stuck at the shutting down screen and won't shut down, so does anyone know what's the problem?
Can you try clearing temp files using ccleaner and lately, have you installed any update or did it fail perhaps?

June 23, 2016, 03:10 PM
Reply #4
  • Global Moderator

Well, as I said, I integrated many reg tweaks in this version of windows and I think this problem could stem from one of them.
I put this tweak in the version: ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001
By default, it is set to 0, but I think it’s useful to clear the swap at shutdown, otherwise the pagefile.sys file can grow bigger. The direct aftermath is the shutdown is probably slower. Even on my computer, equipped with an intel i7, the shutdown is a bit slow. If you think it’s the reason why you can’t shutdown rapidly (in your case it seems you can shut down at all), you can try to set the dword key back to 0.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:55 PM by scarface »

June 24, 2016, 01:52 AM
Reply #5
  • Global Moderator

Well, as I said, I integrated many reg tweaks in this version of windows and I think this problem could stem from one of them.
I put this tweak in the version: ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001
By default, it is set to 0, but I think it’s useful to clear the swap at shutdown, otherwise the pagefile.sys file can grow bigger. The direct aftermath is the shutdown is probably slower. Even on my computer, equipped with an intel i7, the shutdown is a bit slow. If you think it’s the reason why you can’t shutdown rapidly (in your case it seems you can shut down at all), you can try to set the dword key back to 0.
Will swap file be the same size if page file is set to a fixed value?

June 25, 2016, 07:21 AM
Reply #6
Will swap file be the same size if page file is set to a fixed value?
Yes, because ClearPageFileAtShutdown doesn't do what Scarface thinks it does. It overwrites the paging file with zeros so that paged memory contents can't be forensically reconstructed. It's purely a privacy feature and has nothing to do with pagefile.sys size. So what it does in practice is slows down the shutdown process and shortens the lifespan of your SSD (with SSDs it's actually recommended to disable paging file completely). Internet is teeming with bad tweaks, from useless ones like DisablePagingExecutive to potentially harmful ones like LargeSystemCache, so it is best to stick with vanilla Windows and avoid tweaked versions, because you don't know what you're getting. You can apply tweaks yourself later, if you know what you're doing, otherwise leave it alone. If you want a problem-free and up-to-date Win setup, head over to TPB or KAT and get one of releases by Generation2. They release untouched Windows + integrated updates every month - basically what Maher used to do. Personally, I find even this to be suboptimal as there are many undesirable updates, especially since 2015 when MS started introducing telemetry bullshit into Win7. What I like to do is install pure SP1 and then install a list of specific updates that I want.

June 26, 2016, 09:10 AM
Reply #7
  • Global Moderator
After all, I'm now wondering if you are not right, maybe I will disable it in the next version. On my computer it takes 6Gb, roughly the size of the RAM.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:40 AM by scarface »

June 27, 2016, 09:29 AM
Reply #8
  • Global Moderator
@Sacrface and @FuJ-> But Sean at overclockers.net says page file is necessary regardless of the disk type. You can follow here Click spolier named "System setup after install"
Even I uploaded a copy of w10 under the name TOR_anonymous at KAT. But I think its dead w/o much seeds.
I checked your link but I can't find one sentence saying that page file is necessary. The only mention of page file in the whole text is, under do's & don'ts: "Don't bother to move your page file off the SSD" - which is correct. If you use a page file, it should definitely reside on SSD, not HDD, otherwise you are sacrificing performance.
Even with 6G of RAM page file usage is only 24 megs. I suppose PF isn't necessary, but I don't trust windows because even the simplest of tasks can crash windows causing a BSOD. I'll try with PF turned off or setting it to 250 MB or even less. Would 32G  ddr4 be enough to obliterate the concept of PF even whilst using MS Visual studio?

June 30, 2016, 07:19 PM
Reply #9
  • Global Moderator
Even with 6G of RAM page file usage is only 24 megs. I suppose PF isn't necessary, but I don't trust windows because even the simplest of tasks can crash windows causing a BSOD. I'll try with PF turned off or setting it to 250 MB or even less. Would 32G  ddr4 be enough to obliterate the concept of PF even whilst using MS Visual studio?

It's been several years since I've used a pagefile and honestly I've never had a problem. In fact, my lady's new computer (i.e., new MOBO, CPU and more RAM) has 12GB RAM of which 2GB is set aside for a ramdisk. No pagefile, no problems so far. I even have Linux Mint set up with no swap partition without the slightest problem.