Author Topic: Discussion about Pagefile.sys  (Read 1002 times)

June 18, 2016, 02:54 AM
Hi, I have tried the latest window 7 uploaded by scarface.
Until now everything works fine, but the only problem is when I try to shut down my pc the window keep stuck at the shutting down screen and won't shut down, so does anyone know what's the problem?
I have no problem with the window 7 I have before but this one.

June 18, 2016, 05:26 AM
Reply #1
Try tweaking page file settings, system restore by setting optimal values to increase SSD space, w10 is also good with minimal system footprint. Also use default disk cleanup to cleanup superseded update and restore some space.

i forgot about the update files with windows disk cleanup....it just gave me back another 3,3gb.
thx!

June 19, 2016, 10:23 AM
Reply #2
  • Global Moderator
Try tweaking page file settings, system restore by setting optimal values to increase SSD space, w10 is also good with minimal system footprint. Also use default disk cleanup to cleanup superseded update and restore some space.

i forgot about the update files with windows disk cleanup....it just gave me back another 3,3gb.
thx!
You're welcome.

June 19, 2016, 10:26 AM
Reply #3
  • Global Moderator
Until now everything works fine, but the only problem is when I try to shut down my pc the window keep stuck at the shutting down screen and won't shut down, so does anyone know what's the problem?
Can you try clearing temp files using ccleaner and lately, have you installed any update or did it fail perhaps?

June 23, 2016, 03:10 PM
Reply #4
  • Global Moderator

Well, as I said, I integrated many reg tweaks in this version of windows and I think this problem could stem from one of them.
I put this tweak in the version: ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001
By default, it is set to 0, but I think it’s useful to clear the swap at shutdown, otherwise the pagefile.sys file can grow bigger. The direct aftermath is the shutdown is probably slower. Even on my computer, equipped with an intel i7, the shutdown is a bit slow. If you think it’s the reason why you can’t shutdown rapidly (in your case it seems you can shut down at all), you can try to set the dword key back to 0.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:55 PM by scarface »

June 24, 2016, 01:52 AM
Reply #5
  • Global Moderator

Well, as I said, I integrated many reg tweaks in this version of windows and I think this problem could stem from one of them.
I put this tweak in the version: ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001
By default, it is set to 0, but I think it’s useful to clear the swap at shutdown, otherwise the pagefile.sys file can grow bigger. The direct aftermath is the shutdown is probably slower. Even on my computer, equipped with an intel i7, the shutdown is a bit slow. If you think it’s the reason why you can’t shutdown rapidly (in your case it seems you can shut down at all), you can try to set the dword key back to 0.
Will swap file be the same size if page file is set to a fixed value?

June 25, 2016, 07:21 AM
Reply #6
Will swap file be the same size if page file is set to a fixed value?
Yes, because ClearPageFileAtShutdown doesn't do what Scarface thinks it does. It overwrites the paging file with zeros so that paged memory contents can't be forensically reconstructed. It's purely a privacy feature and has nothing to do with pagefile.sys size. So what it does in practice is slows down the shutdown process and shortens the lifespan of your SSD (with SSDs it's actually recommended to disable paging file completely). Internet is teeming with bad tweaks, from useless ones like DisablePagingExecutive to potentially harmful ones like LargeSystemCache, so it is best to stick with vanilla Windows and avoid tweaked versions, because you don't know what you're getting. You can apply tweaks yourself later, if you know what you're doing, otherwise leave it alone. If you want a problem-free and up-to-date Win setup, head over to TPB or KAT and get one of releases by Generation2. They release untouched Windows + integrated updates every month - basically what Maher used to do. Personally, I find even this to be suboptimal as there are many undesirable updates, especially since 2015 when MS started introducing telemetry bullshit into Win7. What I like to do is install pure SP1 and then install a list of specific updates that I want.

June 26, 2016, 05:50 AM
Reply #7
  • Global Moderator
Fuj is one of the most interesting persons of the forum. But his criticism is often bitter, not to say inappropriate. I can understand he has a feeling of admiration which is tinged with jealousy for me, and I apologize him, but his prognosis concerning Clearpagefileatshutdown may be wrong.
Should you disable paging file, as suggested by Fuj? Certainly not, your system could crash in case you don't have enough free RAM.
This site explains it: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2ugi56/should_i_disable_the_paging_file_if_i_have_an_ssd/
By the way, this tweak is the only one I integrated that is concerning the system. The others are just cosmetic changes, or improvements (even for third parties software like winrar).
But you're right concerning the size of pagefile.sys, I was thinking this tweak was decreasing the size of pagefile.sys and it does not, so I will put the key back to 0 in the next version, the shutdown speed will probably be greatly improved.

June 26, 2016, 08:05 AM
Reply #8
Fuj is one of the most interesting persons of the forum. But his criticism is often bitter, not to say inappropriate. I can understand he has a feeling of admiration which is tinged with jealousy for me, and I apologize him, but his prognosis concerning Clearpagefileatshutdown may be wrong.
Should you disable paging file, as suggested by Fuj? Certainly not, your system could crash in case you don't have enough free RAM.
This site explains it: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2ugi56/should_i_disable_the_paging_file_if_i_have_an_ssd/
By the way, this tweak is the only one I integrated that is concerning the system. The others are just cosmetic changes, or improvements (even for third parties software like winrar).
But you're right concerning the size of pagefile.sys, I was thinking this tweak was decreasing the size of pagefile.sys and it does not, so I will put the key back to 0 in the next version, the shutdown speed will probably be greatly improved.

If you understand what paging file is for, it goes without saying that you need enough RAM if you're going to disable it. It was my mistake not to make this clear; I was seeing things from personal perspective (16GB). You linked a Reddit thread you think proves your point but they're basically saying don't disable the paging file unless you have lots of RAM, and I agree. If you do have enough, I say disable the paging file. No matter how much memory you have, Windows will always make a certain amount of writes to the swap file. I want to maximize the lifespan of my SSD so I eliminated those writes. No real reason not to. I do heavy multitasking, play memory-hungry games while having Firefox with many tabs open plus I have 4GB permanently occupied by a RAM disk. Never had a problem. So I'm not really concerned about crashes due to running out of memory, and that's the only reason why you wouldn't want to disable the paging file.

I can understand he has a feeling of admiration which is tinged with jealousy for me.

I told you long ago that you have a pathologically narcissistic personality and you have proven it many times since, but this...  :)
Don't worry, you won't have to deal with my bitterness, I only visit the forum every once in a while and I don't post, you made sure of that. But when I do visit and see something silly, like you welcoming a malware-posting bot or giving wrong descriptions of Windows tweaks, I can't stop myself from reacting. I promise not to make a habit out of it; you deleted my posts one time too many, so don't worry about me becoming an active member again.

June 26, 2016, 09:10 AM
Reply #9
  • Global Moderator
After all, I'm now wondering if you are not right, maybe I will disable it in the next version. On my computer it takes 6Gb, roughly the size of the RAM.
I told you long ago that you have a pathologically narcissistic personality.
Yes that's true, I remember I did some personality test showing I was both narcissistic, Machiavellian, moody and probably devious too.
I'm sure it would be valuable for us to meet. At the Japanese restaurant a few days ago, I was thinking about you, because I was unable to eat with chopsticks (you probably noticed the fork and knife on the photo), and I wished you were here.

Note that I added your avatar amongst the ones of the regular users of the forum:
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/983011avatars.jpg