Author Topic: Discussion about Pagefile.sys  (Read 1004 times)

June 26, 2016, 11:19 AM
Reply #10
  • Global Moderator
@Sacrface and @FuJ-> But Sean at overclockers.net says page file is necessary regardless of the disk type. You can follow here Click spolier named "System setup after install"
Even I uploaded a copy of w10 under the name TOR_anonymous at KAT. But I think its dead w/o much seeds.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:26 AM by Vasudev »

June 26, 2016, 11:28 AM
Reply #11
  • Global Moderator
By the way, you said I deleted some of your messages. Well, that's true, I deleted the topic where you were shouting insultingly at the man who was answering a bot about a crack for windows, and the topic about Syria, where if I remember I was discussing the new Santa Claus-like fashion in Syria and you had a perspicacious comment (the only one in this topic if I remember well).
I made a screenshot since I kept a old copy of the forum. And please Fuj remind me if other messages of yours were deleted.
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/19809643IS.png
(It seems the arrival of an orange- bearded Santa Claus coming from France frightened many Syrians since they are more and more numerous at the exits of the Parisian ring road to beg for money. Once again, I gave money on Friday to two men both carrying a child. When they saw that I would give them money, they stood on each side of my car. With a business that lucrative I guess that millions of them are going to arrive in the coming weeks.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:32 AM by scarface »

June 26, 2016, 04:06 PM
Reply #12
@Sacrface and @FuJ-> But Sean at overclockers.net says page file is necessary regardless of the disk type. You can follow here Click spolier named "System setup after install"
Even I uploaded a copy of w10 under the name TOR_anonymous at KAT. But I think its dead w/o much seeds.
I checked your link but I can't find one sentence saying that page file is necessary. The only mention of page file in the whole text is, under do's & don'ts: "Don't bother to move your page file off the SSD" - which is correct. If you use a page file, it should definitely reside on SSD, not HDD, otherwise you are sacrificing performance.

At the Japanese restaurant a few days ago, I was thinking about you, because I was unable to eat with chopsticks (you probably noticed the fork and knife on the photo), and I wished you were here.
I don't know how to eat with chopsticks.

By the way, you said I deleted some of your messages. Well, that's true, I deleted the topic where you were shouting insultingly at the man who was answering a bot about a crack for windows, and the topic about Syria, where if I remember I was discussing the new Santa Claus-like fashion in Syria and you had a perspicacious comment (the only one in this topic if I remember well).
I made a screenshot since I kept a old copy of the forum. And please Fuj remind me if other messages of yours were deleted.
Now you're adding insult to injury. I don't know if you're consciously pretending or your brain conveniently memorized a version in which it only happened a couple of times, but you deleted dozens of my posts. I can't show you, obviously, since you deleted them and I don't take screenshots of my posts (that's not a normal thing to do). Most times it was difficult for me to even tell what was deleted; I would simply log in and notice that my post count is lower than the last time. It was due to your "cleaning". I said very clearly and loudly what I think about that and I said I want it to stop, multiple times. I went on vacation last August and when I came back I saw that my post count dropped again. That's when I definitely decided I was done here. I may not be in love with my own image like you but I do have some self-respect.

June 26, 2016, 04:40 PM
Reply #13
  • Global Moderator
Dozens? But obviously you don't remember in which topic you posted to give us examples of what was deleted. Btw, last summer I remember that our friend usmangujjar deleted himself practically all his topics after he went off the rails, that could explain your deleted messages too (several hundred of messages were removed if I remember well).
Even last year I was only removing the messages that were redundant, like ones of iih who was forgetting to remove his "update alerts", but I rarely deleted topics, except mine when I think they are outdated, or not desirable any more.
If a moderator was really naughty in here, we would delete the topics without answers, or those whose links are dead. At least there would be many topics to put in the archive since they are concerning old software with dead download links.
Lastly, Do you think our discussion has been positive in here? If not deleted those messages should be archived or put in a topic "miscellaneous/useless", they are polluting the topic of harkaz.

I don't know how to eat with chopsticks.
thought you were Chinese?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:12 PM by scarface »

June 26, 2016, 10:35 PM
Reply #14
  • Global Moderator
Since I too run a ramdisk, I went out and got 24 GB of memory. I haven't used a pagefile is years and I've never had a problem. Not only that, but I've had SSD's since they first came out some 3-4 years ago. Since then I've had about 4, and not a single one has failed in all that time. For this reason I'd have to agree with Fuj.

@Scarface -- Please do not delete any messages from anyone other than those which are clearly came from a bot. Everyone has the right to speak their mind no matter how much we may disagree.

BTW - for those of you with enough memory I recommend Ramdisk Enterprise. It maps the ramdisk to B:\ and can easily be controlled from Device Manager. I have all my caches, cookies and temporary files mapped there. When you reboot it all goes to hell! You can also configure it to save your stuff to a regular drive. If you want a copy let me know.

June 27, 2016, 09:29 AM
Reply #15
  • Global Moderator
I checked your link but I can't find one sentence saying that page file is necessary. The only mention of page file in the whole text is, under do's & don'ts: "Don't bother to move your page file off the SSD" - which is correct. If you use a page file, it should definitely reside on SSD, not HDD, otherwise you are sacrificing performance.
Even with 6G of RAM page file usage is only 24 megs. I suppose PF isn't necessary, but I don't trust windows because even the simplest of tasks can crash windows causing a BSOD. I'll try with PF turned off or setting it to 250 MB or even less. Would 32G  ddr4 be enough to obliterate the concept of PF even whilst using MS Visual studio?

June 30, 2016, 07:19 PM
Reply #16
  • Global Moderator
Even with 6G of RAM page file usage is only 24 megs. I suppose PF isn't necessary, but I don't trust windows because even the simplest of tasks can crash windows causing a BSOD. I'll try with PF turned off or setting it to 250 MB or even less. Would 32G  ddr4 be enough to obliterate the concept of PF even whilst using MS Visual studio?

It's been several years since I've used a pagefile and honestly I've never had a problem. In fact, my lady's new computer (i.e., new MOBO, CPU and more RAM) has 12GB RAM of which 2GB is set aside for a ramdisk. No pagefile, no problems so far. I even have Linux Mint set up with no swap partition without the slightest problem.

July 01, 2016, 10:52 AM
Reply #17
  • Global Moderator

It's been several years since I've used a pagefile and honestly I've never had a problem. In fact, my lady's new computer (i.e., new MOBO, CPU and more RAM) has 12GB RAM of which 2GB is set aside for a ramdisk. No pagefile, no problems so far. I even have Linux Mint set up with no swap partition without the slightest problem.
Did you try using IDEs without PFs, specifically MS visual studio.

July 03, 2016, 08:08 PM
Reply #18
  • Global Moderator
Did you try using IDEs without PFs, specifically MS visual studio.

Since I have almost no creativity, I've never attempted software development. For that reason I've never run MS Visual Studio nor any other IDE. I did a Google search to see how much RAM this program takes up. Some people report they've run it with as little as 2GB - assuming they're not running anything in the background.

Based on what I've read, if you've got a minimum 8GB of RAM and are not running a ramdisk, you might be able to run it without a PF. Run a test and see what happens. Oh and BTW, I'm assuming 64bit so you can use all your available RAM.

Keep in mind that with Task Manager on Windows 8.1 or higher you can easily see how much RAM is being used and what programs are using it.

July 04, 2016, 08:40 AM
Reply #19
  • Global Moderator
Msft visual studio eats up ram only when compiling. If you are compiling very small program, that won't take ages to build, then you don't need much RAM.

Well, after the mishap with Lord Fuj, I dont even feel like removing some messages. However, I think the topic of harkaz is a bit spoilt, maybe it would be useful to split this topic, or even archive a few messages. If you agree or disagree with this, send me a message.