Author Topic: Discussion about Pagefile.sys  (Read 1534 times)

July 01, 2016, 10:52 AM
Reply #10
  • Global Moderator
Even with 6G of RAM page file usage is only 24 megs. I suppose PF isn't necessary, but I don't trust windows because even the simplest of tasks can crash windows causing a BSOD. I'll try with PF turned off or setting it to 250 MB or even less. Would 32G  ddr4 be enough to obliterate the concept of PF even whilst using MS Visual studio?

It's been several years since I've used a pagefile and honestly I've never had a problem. In fact, my lady's new computer (i.e., new MOBO, CPU and more RAM) has 12GB RAM of which 2GB is set aside for a ramdisk. No pagefile, no problems so far. I even have Linux Mint set up with no swap partition without the slightest problem.
Did you try using IDEs without PFs, specifically MS visual studio.

July 03, 2016, 08:08 PM
Reply #11
  • Global Moderator
Did you try using IDEs without PFs, specifically MS visual studio.

Since I have almost no creativity, I've never attempted software development. For that reason I've never run MS Visual Studio nor any other IDE. I did a Google search to see how much RAM this program takes up. Some people report they've run it with as little as 2GB - assuming they're not running anything in the background.

Based on what I've read, if you've got a minimum 8GB of RAM and are not running a ramdisk, you might be able to run it without a PF. Run a test and see what happens. Oh and BTW, I'm assuming 64bit so you can use all your available RAM.

Keep in mind that with Task Manager on Windows 8.1 or higher you can easily see how much RAM is being used and what programs are using it.