• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Why I dislike windows. (Rant kinda?)

Started by Shadow.97, July 26, 2016, 01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

-

Vasudev

I think some of them would be fixed in future releases.  I think MS issued a DPI fix that supports upto 16K monitors.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on July 26, 2016, 05:57 PM
I think some of them would be fixed in future releases.  I think MS issued a DPI fix that supports upto 16K monitors.

I have a 4K card and monitor, and I can assure you Windows 10 supports HiDPI. Some programs will scale up and others won't. From what I hear it's because their developers wrote them to work at 1920x1080 or less.

As for games, D3 (which has no DX12 support) can be set at 3840x2160 @60hz. I have it set that way and it looks awesome. I find it hard to believe that other modern games (2014 or newer) can't be set at this resolution or higher.

I don't know about you, but I hate having to memorize arcane commands and type them in on a terminal-based command line. Reminds me of when I was using DOS.

Other than that I can only say I'd use Linux (or something else) if there were more support. I've mentioned a few examples many times. One thing I absolutely detest is the constant password prompt. I managed to disable it on programs that use sudo, but not on others.

Shadow.97

-

Vasudev

Have you installed that 4k enhancement and fixes in latest Alienware BIOS? Did you get the replacement AW 15 r2 with 4k?

Shadow.97

-

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on July 28, 2016, 09:41 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on July 28, 2016, 06:04 PM
Have you installed that 4k enhancement and fixes in latest Alienware BIOS? Did you get the replacement AW 15 r2 with 4k?
It does have some screen bleeding (upper left corner) but it is not disturbing unless its black on the top left. Such as black loadingscreens, entering fullscreen etc. But I cant be arsed to care, because it does not disturb me enough.
Yes I've seen those screens with slight and worse light bleeds at Notebook Check Forums. BTW, that 4k is of better quality than FHD. You could try posting your issues on that forum and I hope Alienware Representative can help you. http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/2015-alienware-13-15-17.1119/
Even I'm there at their forums under the same name.

humbert

It's not so much that quite a few apps misbehave when running them at 3840x2160, it's the fact that they were written with resolutions of 1920x1080 or less and will run that way regardless of how scaled up Windows is. They look tiny on 4K, you almost need reading glasses.

I wouldn't count VLC or any other video player. I use MPC-HC, and it's windows automatically adjusts to the video's resolution. A 4K video fills my screen completely and a 1980x1080 video takes up 25% of the screen. All others use the same ratio.

As for games, Blizzard's D3 gives me the option to select screen resolution and 3840x2160 is on the menu. Since there is plenty of 4K going around, I'm surprised newer games (2015 and up) don't offer something similar. Even so, I'm this is a temporary situation. Every day more games will support both 4K and DX12, and eventually all of them will.

If you haven't already noticed, Sumatra PDF scales up PDF's perfectly and they become easy to read.

BTW, Linux Mint and Ubuntu can be scaled up to 4K too. I have yet to see rogue Linux apps that don't scale up. Then again I don't use it all that much.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on July 29, 2016, 03:42 AM
It's not so much that quite a few apps misbehave when running them at 3840x2160, it's the fact that they were written with resolutions of 1920x1080 or less and will run that way regardless of how scaled up Windows is. They look tiny on 4K, you almost need reading glasses.

I wouldn't count VLC or any other video player. I use MPC-HC, and it's windows automatically adjusts to the video's resolution. A 4K video fills my screen completely and a 1980x1080 video takes up 25% of the screen. All others use the same ratio.

As for games, Blizzard's D3 gives me the option to select screen resolution and 3840x2160 is on the menu. Since there is plenty of 4K going around, I'm surprised newer games (2015 and up) don't offer something similar. Even so, I'm this is a temporary situation. Every day more games will support both 4K and DX12, and eventually all of them will.

If you haven't already noticed, Sumatra PDF scales up PDF's perfectly and they become easy to read.

BTW, Linux Mint and Ubuntu can be scaled up to 4K too. I have yet to see rogue Linux apps that don't scale up. Then again I don't use it all that much.
Yes Linux have their GUI prepped even for displays >8k. I think its called xhdpi.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on August 01, 2016, 05:58 PM
Yes Linux have their GUI prepped even for displays >8k. I think its called xhdpi.

They're a little ahead of their time. We won't be seeing 8k for another few years.