• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Yesterday we have seen that we had a little party on the forum for my birthday with Vasudev and little Usmangujjar.
And today I invited an old friend and we ate a paella with an excellent red wine, a Saint Chinian.

humbert

Scarface -> Happy 36th bday. I don't have birthdays. I've had too many and decided not one more  :)  Spanish in Spain? Depends what region you're in. Spanish (Castillian) is not the first language in Barcelona, Galicia and the Basque country.

Vasu -> From what I've been hearing, anybody who is anybody in India speaks English, and it's a link language considering your country is home to many languages and dialects. I even heard that some time ago the government decided to phase English out since it was considered a colonialist language. It didn't work and they had to backtrack.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 25, 2019, 04:53 AM
Scarface -> Happy 36th bday. I don't have birthdays. I've had too many and decided not one more  :)  Spanish in Spain? Depends what region you're in. Spanish (Castillian) is not the first language in Barcelona, Galicia and the Basque country.

Vasu -> From what I've been hearing, anybody who is anybody in India speaks English, and it's a link language considering your country is home to many languages and dialects. I even heard that some time ago the government decided to phase English out since it was considered a colonialist language. It didn't work and they had to backtrack.
There were some schools which banned English but eventually English was mainstream and all schools needed more English teachers there on.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on April 17, 2019, 12:45 AM
Note that a mini offline version of the forum is going to be available (zipped, only 1.58Gb)
Link: https://mega.nz/#!5Q9UmSKC!prwdrqDezO4IdBRPX8X5T4DOOkwQB_MX-g4yXRoAiY8

Archived it on my server.
The loading speed of it is amazing compared to the forum :p

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 25, 2019, 09:03 PM
Note that a mini offline version of the forum is going to be available (zipped, only 1.58Gb)

Of course. But if you have a fiber optic connection you may not see a real difference (even with the messages containing some big photos).

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on April 26, 2019, 02:40 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 25, 2019, 09:03 PM

Of course. But if you have a fiber optic connection you may not see a real difference (even with the messages containing some big photos).
The site this is hosted on causes delays for me, and currently sitting on 240/24 cable. Back to sweden for 14 days starting monday.

scarface

Note that a newer version (dated 2 May instead of 16 April) of the forum is being uploaded, the link in this message will be updated: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=9764.msg30256#msg30256
-compressed with 7zip (200mb smaller).

scarface

To the moderators: it's not possible to login from the front page, it seems it's a bug of smf 2.014...
But it's possible by using another address. I sent it to Vasudev.
In the meantime, some help is needed to clean the forum.
As for the bot problems, it seems the captcha system was broken years ago and it's not efficient any more.

humbert

I texted Maher this morning and brought the "attack by bots" problem to his attention. He immediately deleted all bot topics, banned their accounts and closed all new user registrations. I'm not sure what he plans to do regarding new user applications. I'm thinking he might ask them to write a brief message explaining why they want access - or something.

The important thing is that for now there'll be no more bots, unless one of our current users goes rogue.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on May 11, 2019, 12:14 AM
To the moderators: it's not possible to login from the front page, it seems it's a bug of smf 2.014...
But it's possible by using another address. I sent it to Vasudev.
In the meantime, some help is needed to clean the forum.
As for the bot problems, it seems the captcha system was broken years ago and it's not efficient any more.
Should we post new link here?