• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on April 17, 2019, 12:45 AM
Note that a mini offline version of the forum is going to be available (zipped, only 1.58Gb)
Link: https://mega.nz/#!5Q9UmSKC!prwdrqDezO4IdBRPX8X5T4DOOkwQB_MX-g4yXRoAiY8

In case some image hosting sites are down or if there is no more internet in the world, at least you'll have a copy of the forum. If there is no more electricity, it won't work though. Note that I didn't only delete images, I updated some old messages of Ahmad, Fuj, iih, shadow.97, Daniil and a few other users...that had lost their pictures in their messages. At least if I had a copy of these pictures. Some pictures on imageshack or postimage were certainly deleted several years ago. They should feel lucky.

Note that I was thinking that further cleanup might be necessary, with my own messages for example.
by way of illustration in the game topic, let's take the message about the repack of Quantum Break. Well, unlike the other repacks that are normally quite reliable, this repack doesn't work very well, and 2 times out of 3 the installer is crashing. What's more I didn't find any bink 2 encoder that could be used to further reduce videos. And yet with a size of 23 Gb, it was a "small" repack.
Actually, the first few minutes of the game are rather interesting, when Jack is meeting Paul Serene at Riverport (then the time travel experiment goes wrong). Then the game is a bit more boring.
In fact, I think that only the beginning and the end of the game should be kept. But I don't have the skills for such modifications. And with a size of 66Gb, this game is a kind of burden for a hdd. Therefore If this message is not essential I'll delete it too.
In the clip topic, some messages are outdated too, and some contain broken links. You can send me pms if some messages seem useless.
Well, how did you do that? Is it just like internet archive?

Vasudev

Quote from: usmangujjar on April 23, 2019, 08:53 PM
Happy BirthDay scarface.
Waiting to see Maher again, as you said.
Its been a long time since you visited the forums.
Quote from: scarface on April 23, 2019, 08:49 PM
Important
Note 1
I deleted a few messages in the topic best clips (only mine). I worked for several hours to choose the best clips, and put them in 2 posts (The cleanup of this topic is not over though). You can find the best clips in the first few messages of the topic:
http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1020.0

Note 2
Apparently Fuj deleted his messages, maybe he was angry at the cleanup of the forum. He might recognize that we have a clean forum now. Fortunately, his messages are not lost, they can be restored. If you want them back, you can post a message.

Note 3
I made a smaller repack for the latest edition of Dishonored 2 (1gb smaller than the current repack - 17.8 Gb vs 18.8 Gb but it is the same content), unfortunately I have no more space on mega. I was afraid that using srep 3.93 might cause memory leaks, but this repack is just fine, I tested it several times. Maybe I'll remove a few movies on the forum (not the good ones) or some series and I'll reupload some of them somewhere else. In the meantime, if some mega links are broken on the forum, just wait.

Note 4
For those who want news concerning Maher, I learnt that he's fine.

Note 5
Note that it was my birthday a few days ago. Maybe humbert remembers the photos of the big couscous on the forum. Actually, one year ago I went to a restaurant with my father, 24 rue Damremont in Paris to eat a good couscous. That's why I wanted to eat another couscous for my birthday.

Belated Happy Birthday.. I usually forget my birthdays yeah always.

scarface

Thanks usman.
I'm 36 and unfortunately I didn't stop aging at 25. I wish I could. I don't know how much time left I have, but if I don't live more than my father, it means I've already done more than half.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnGHQokMhZ0
As for Maher, well, I don't know if we are going to see him any time soon.
After all we are quite lucky here. We have a forum for us. No insults, no angry users, no stupid questions. At first I was thinking it was a bug, but If Maher closed the registrations, it's probably because he didn't want to to look after the forum any more.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on April 23, 2019, 09:10 PM
Well, how did you do that? Is it just like internet archive?
Actually I began to make copies of the forum in 2017, because I didn't know if the forum was going to "survive", and because I noticed that some picture hosting sites were regularly closing too. I've been right to do this since hostingpics.net closed in 2018 and I've been able to update most messages in the photos topic (including some photos of Daniil or usmangujjar btw). Even if I have a copy of my own photos, I don't know which photo is present in each message...
At this time I wasn't updating messages though, I just wanted a copy in case everything would be lost. My first copy dates back to April 2017. That's also why I deleted some old messages of "the nawab" or "bladeshark" about old software (they were not only outdated, the images they contained were definitely lost).
When I made a new copy a few months ago I had hundreds of errors in the log of winhttrack, the piece of software I'm using to "absorb" the forum (it's not important, it just means there were hundreds, or even thousands of broken links (after 900 errors no more errors or warnings are logged I think). (It displays errors even for the broken link of the avatar picture of usman). Knowing that it would be too hard to update all the forum,I took the decision (alone) to delete the outdated messages of the forum (concerning xp, firefox...), even if I updated some old tutorials - I updated a tutorial of usman (this one: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2420.msg17350#msg17350) which had a dozen pictures with broken links and it took a long time.
Well, I know that a lot of messages were deleted, but the forum was looking like the Spanish inn (The choice of the message to delete was difficult, I tried to choose the oldest ones, containing broken links/outdated contents, and written by users who are not coming any longer). Roughly 4000 messages were deleted. The biggest contributors were humbert (because he was answering a lot), me (because I deleted some useless messages in some topics -since usman deleted his messages I removed some answers too) , iih (because he used to post a lot of messages about common programs that were not updated any more), bladeshared, the nawab...In this cleanup, it seems that Fuj was a collateral victim, since some of his messages were deleted, about 50 messages, but he still had 377 messages on the forum. (when a 5-year-old topic is deleted, even if it features an answer of the king of Morocco, it is deleted too). He still has 377 message in the bin, but I doubt he wants them to be restored. Let's wait for an answer.
PS: note that some messages initiated by Maher and humbert were preserved, like "windows xp support" "looking for windows xp sp3 serial?" or "windows 8 support" even if they seem outdated too...

scarface

To usman: it's a good decision to come back to the forum.
Since there are no new users on the forum, It's important to keep the most interesting and reliable users. I was thinking you had disappeared. I just checked, you had not posted messages since April 2018. In the meantime maybe you improved your English skills. You should take Vasudev as a role model. You know, if you came here, you would speak English better than 90% of the people.
I wanted to ask you 2 things: First and foremost, maybe you could update your avatar (the previous one is available here: https://i.ibb.co/FsqcTGc/rrnxp53f17.gif
I also stumbled upon one of your topics, which seems a bit outdated: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1623.10
I mean some messages are interesting, others contain dead links, or links for old programs. I'm pretty sure that this topic could be more interesting with a few updated messages (Unfortunately iih's messages are obsolete too... I don't know if you have news of little iih. Is he still in Indonesia? I'm not expecting him to come back soon anyway...).

usmangujjar

I think Giveaway topic may be deleted.
And I will try to post something interesting.
ih is still in Indonesia and active on other forums.

There is none worthy of worship except ALLAH,
Muhammad (PBUH) is the Messenger of ALLAH.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on April 24, 2019, 02:57 AM
To usman: it's a good decision to come back to the forum.
Since there are no new users on the forum, It's important to keep the most interesting and reliable users. I was thinking you had disappeared. I just checked, you had not posted messages since April 2018. In the meantime maybe you improved your English skills. You should take Vasudev as a role model. You know, if you came here, you would speak English better than 90% of the people.
I wanted to ask you 2 things: First and foremost, maybe you could update your avatar (the previous one is available here: https://i.ibb.co/FsqcTGc/rrnxp53f17.gif
I also stumbled upon one of your topics, which seems a bit outdated: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1623.10
I mean some messages are interesting, others contain dead links, or links for old programs. I'm pretty sure that this topic could be more interesting with a few updated messages (Unfortunately iih's messages are obsolete too... I don't know if you have news of little iih. Is he still in Indonesia? I'm not expecting him to come back soon anyway...).
Taking me as role-model will be a disaster. Haha...
Quote from: usmangujjar on April 24, 2019, 04:40 AM
I think Giveaway topic may be deleted.
And I will try to post something interesting.
ih is still in Indonesia and active on other forums.
Well, you can post ICC world cup stats. I have a hunch that a new team will win the cup this year.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on April 24, 2019, 07:37 AM
In the meantime maybe you improved your English skills. You should take Vasudev as a role model. You know, if you came here, you would speak English better than 90% of the people.
You speak English very well and I'm pretty sure that many Indians only understand their local dialects.
English is not necessarily understood everywhere in the world.
In 2000, I remember I went to Spain (I spent one day in Benidorm, and then almost 2 weeks in Alicante). In Benidorm it was hot and I went swimming. Huge crowds of tourists have flocked to Benidorm, and it was already overcrowded at this time. 30 years earlier, it was a small, old-fashioned fishing village. In Alicante I remember that it was hot too. There, I read the book The Red and the Black, written by Stendhal. One day in the streets, I was looking for stamps, and I asked a few locals if they knew where I could find stamps (I didn't remember the Spanish word for stamp). It was as if I was speaking an unknown language. Nobody knew what a stamp was. I came to the conclusion that it's better to speak Spanish in Spain.

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on April 24, 2019, 12:34 PM
Quote from: Vasudev on April 24, 2019, 07:37 AM
In the meantime maybe you improved your English skills. You should take Vasudev as a role model. You know, if you came here, you would speak English better than 90% of the people.
You speak English very well and I'm pretty sure that many Indians only understand their local dialects.
English is not necessarily understood everywhere in the world.
In 2000, I remember I went to Spain (I spent one day in Benidorm, and then almost 2 weeks in Alicante). In Benidorm it was hot and I went swimming. Huge crowds of tourists have flocked to Benidorm, and it was already overcrowded at this time. 30 years earlier, it was a small, old-fashioned fishing village. In Alicante I remember that it was hot too. There, I read the book The Red and the Black, written by Stendhal. One day in the streets, I was looking for stamps, and I asked a few locals if they knew where I could find stamps (I didn't remember the Spanish word for stamp). It was as if I was speaking an unknown language. Nobody knew what a stamp was. I came to the conclusion that it's better to speak Spanish in Spain.
My English was really bad and coming here improved it at a hefty quality. Indians can understand English a little bit because of Smartphones and Google translate but requires fluency. Also, people around different region pronounce same words quite differently so that can confuse newcomers but its manageable.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on April 24, 2019, 03:24 PM
Indians can understand English a little bit because of Smartphones and Google translate but requires fluency. Also, people around different region pronounce same words quite differently so that can confuse newcomers but its manageable.
Who requires Fluency? Google translate? did you mean "but it requires"? if you are talking about the Indians, they need fluency. At least in this case I'm pretty sure that the word require can't be used if the Indians are the subject of the sentence (I can explain why).

In this video, we can see a man who goes to the hairdresser in India. And visibly the hairdresser can speak English very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYf8Nol-BC4