Author Topic: Testing programs and recommendations  (Read 2986 times)

August 15, 2017, 09:55 PM
  • Global Moderator
I opened this topic because every now and then someone stumbles upon a program which is worth recommending.

The torrent client Tixati is a good example. I saw it on Snapfiles. It now comes in 64-bit (about time). It's got nice beautiful colors with country flags. It supports my proxy flawelessly. It even has a feature where, by default, it checks the largest file and downloads only those that are 20% of it size or greater. This allows you to get the good stuff and skip those garbage files text files, nfo's and jpgs the uploaders put in there. The percentage is fully adjustable and, if you feel you need one of these files, you can select it manually. The feature can also be disabled altogether. There is no spyware, no nags, no ads and no other garbage.

This thing is great. Be sure you get the 64bit version if you decide to check it out.

August 17, 2017, 02:47 PM
Reply #1
I've noticed that Tixiate takes a lifetime to start if you have a huge amount of torrents and size of those torrents. It froze alot on startup, and ate harddrive speed on bootup as it scanned all existing torrents current files. No clue why it did it.
Currently using Deluge for that.

I suggest PiHole(on a raspberry pi) if you'd like less ads online.

Caddy, nice and easy hosting a webpage where you can host files for friends and family. Supports SSL nice and easy, so it's very user friendly. Atleast if you compare using Nginx and HFS as a combo setup.

A tool that gets too little credit for what it does: Snipping tool! Built into windows, takes region screenshot, easy to copy and paste and then upload to webpage of your choice. Not the fastest or such, but it gets the job done and it's already on the machine.

Everything; a search engine within your computer. Great if you cant find your files.

Ip camera adapter in combination with the android app IP Webcam (Android app).
Use your android phone as a webcam. Or configure the IP camera adapter to any CCTV online and pretend to be a cctv online. Idk.

August 20, 2017, 09:21 PM
Reply #2
  • Global Moderator
I've noticed that Tixiate takes a lifetime to start if you have a huge amount of torrents and size of those torrents. It froze alot on startup, and ate harddrive speed on bootup as it scanned all existing torrents current files. No clue why it did it.

Strange. The newest 64bit Tixati is running OK. As for Deluge, last time I installed it it also installed a bunch of Python files. Is it that the program is interpreted and not compiled?

Caddy, nice and easy hosting a webpage where you can host files for friends and family. Supports SSL nice and easy, so it's very user friendly. Atleast if you compare using Nginx and HFS as a combo setup.

When I googled this thing all I got was stuff referring to golf. Do you have a link?

Everything; a search engine within your computer. Great if you cant find your files.

Agree! An awesome free program!

Thanks for posting. I strongly feel a topic such as this is an asset to our forum

August 23, 2017, 10:03 PM
Reply #3

Strange. The newest 64bit Tixati is running OK. As for Deluge, last time I installed it it also installed a bunch of Python files. Is it that the program is interpreted and not compiled?

When I googled this thing all I got was stuff referring to golf. Do you have a link?

Thanks for posting. I strongly feel a topic such as this is an asset to our forum
Link for Caddy
https://caddyserver.com/

Deluge comes pre compiled, you can find it here: http://download.deluge-torrent.org/windows/?C=M;O=D
Sorry for short post, I'm dont feel like typing atm^^ But I agree that this could benefit the forum.

August 23, 2017, 10:44 PM
Reply #4
  • Global Moderator

Link for Caddy
https://caddyserver.com/

Deluge comes pre compiled, you can find it here: http://download.deluge-torrent.org/windows/?C=M;O=D
Sorry for short post, I'm dont feel like typing atm^^ But I agree that this could benefit the forum.
I use transmission x64 https://transmissionbt.com/

August 24, 2017, 08:03 PM
Reply #5
  • Global Moderator

Does it support the use of proxy servers? Not all torrent clients do.

August 25, 2017, 01:00 AM
Reply #6
  • Global Moderator

Does it support the use of proxy servers? Not all torrent clients do.
No it doesn't. But it shows all peers connection are encrypted.

August 29, 2017, 09:50 PM
Reply #7
  • Global Moderator

Tixati also supports encryption and shows all peer connections, including flags. Honestly I'm not having the problem Shadow was talking about, at least not on the latest 64bit version

August 31, 2017, 04:44 PM
Reply #8

Tixati also supports encryption and shows all peer connections, including flags. Honestly I'm not having the problem Shadow was talking about, at least not on the latest 64bit version
To be fair; I havnt used it in a long while. It was just the reason I stopped using it. I don't use torrents much anymore. I rarely feel the need to torrent games because I can use Paypal. The main reason I didnt buy games before was because I had no way to pay for them. Nowdays when I obtain software that is not legitimate I do it from friends who has already been using the pirate copy for some time and then just share it from them to me; no other party involved. Oh; And that is mostly overpriced softwares that I have no intentions of buying anyway. If I end up loving them ALOT I might consider buying them.

September 03, 2017, 11:05 PM
Reply #9
  • Global Moderator
The main reason I didnt buy games before was because I had no way to pay for them. Nowdays when I obtain software that is not legitimate I do it from friends who has already been using the pirate copy for some time and then just share it from them to me; no other party involved. Oh; And that is mostly overpriced softwares that I have no intentions of buying anyway. If I end up loving them ALOT I might consider buying them.

I'm beginning to think that getting games from the torrent sites doesn't make sense anymore. Many must be connected to servers so as to give you the ability to play with other people and/or to receive updates and game enhancements. And of course the price has come down quite a bit.

Do you agree?