Maher's Digital World

Documentaries

Offline scarface

Re: Documentaries
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2018, 06:47 AM »
Today, I'm going to hold a conference to talk about one of the pioneers of Agro Ecology: Pierre Rabhi.

Pierre Rahbi lived in the Paris suburbs, he was taking the metro every day to go to work. And he realized he couldn't do that any more, he had the impression to live in a jail.
So he decided to flee the society of consumption.

Since 1981, he has been transmitting his know-how in Africa, France and Europe, seeking to restore their food self-sufficiency to the populations. He is now recognized as an international expert on food security and has been involved in the development of the United Nations Convention to fight desertification.

He has used principles of agroecology to improve yields and living conditions across the French and West-African agricultural sectors. Through innovative training methods, he has helped over 150,000 farmers diagnose the best way to adapt and apply ecological practices to their land and cultures, effectively uniting thousands of citizens in a movement to restore and protect environmental and social ecosystems.

Pierre Rabhi calls for the “insurrection of consciences” to unite what is best in humanity and stop making our planet-paradise a hell of suffering and destruction. Faced with the failure of the general condition of mankind and the tremendous damage inflicted on Nature, he invites us to step outside the myth of indefinite growth, to realize the vital importance of our nourishing land and to inaugurate a new ethic of life towards a “happy sobriety”.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnjFSilQCVs

Offline humbert

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2018, 10:51 AM »
You're right. Maybe I was a bit biased. The situation of the journalists is better in the US than in China. But I think the American media are a bit one-sided, which explains the lack of culture of the American people.

I have yet to see a news outlet that isn't one-sided, and not just in this country.

Note that Le monde is in French (I translated the article), and probably very few non-French speakers are reading this newspaper.

It's not so much that the average American would want to go to LeMonde's web site. I was referring to the idea that one of the many anti-Trump newspapers (e.g., the Washington Post) could reprint the article. Finding a French to English translator isn't too hard.

Offline scarface

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Tonight, I'm going to talk about the latest statement of Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State, who released a message today.

ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has launched a scathing attack on the “arrogant” Trump presidency and urged followers to wage “jihad” across the West in his first audio speech in almost a year, according to the terror group’s media channel.

The terror group released al-Baghdadi’s putported audio speech via Al Furqan Media on Wednesday, the SITE Group reported, throwing into doubt rumours of his death.

In the speech, al-Baghdadi reportedly calls on ISIS fanatics across the world to target the "disbeliever media centers" and headquarters of "ideological wars".

If verified to be al-Baghdadi, the 55-minute long statement would bring the terror leader’s 11-month spell of silence to an end, with his last known recording on September 28, 2017.

In a veiled attack on the presidency of Donald Trump, al-Baghdadi said “America is going through the worse time of its entire existence”, condemning the “two decades of its crusade against the Muslim world”.

In the recording, he plays down the loss of ISIS territory in the Middle East, encouraging his acolytes to “stay steadfast and fight back with true passion for martyrdom”.

“For the Mujahideen the scale of victory or defeat is not dependant on a city or town being stolen or subject to that who has aerial superiority, intercontinental missiles or smart bombs,” he said in the recording, which could not been verified.

He implored supporters in Canada, Europe and the West "to join those who bled and carried out attacks" and "follow their lead".

The elusive radical Islamist preacher, nicknamed “The Ghost”, has been reported to have died on multiple occasions in airstrikes in Syria and Iraq as his terror empire crumbles.

Various reports of his death, injury or arrest have come from Iraqi security sources in recent years, yet none have been confirmed by the US-led coalition.

In the recording, al-Baghdadi references the dispute between the United States and Turkey over the detention of Christian pastor Andrew Brunson, meaning the message dates this month.

He said America's calls for Turkey to release the pastor were rejected, suggesting its diplomatic clout has diminished under Trump.

Al-Baghdadi added "we also see the Russians and the Iranians are standing up, refusing to listen to whatever America dictates of sanctions", according to translations by journalists based in the Middle East.

A new report, published by AlSumaria News last week, suggested an airstrike had left al-Baghdadi mortally wounded and unable to continue his leadership duties.

“Iraqi warplanes launched an airstrike inside the Syrian territories in June, targeting a meeting of Islamic State leaders, where the group’s chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was present,” an Iraqi security source said.

Because al-Baghdadi is incapacitated, ISIS has nominated Abu Othman al-Tunisi as its new leader, the report claimed.

Al-Baghdadi, one of the world’s most wanted men, has repeatedly eluded capture despite the efforts of Iraqi security forces.

The appointment of al-Tunisi has caused unrest after the airstrike depleted ISIS’s top brass, according to the source.

“The strike also left a large number of ISIS commanders dead and wounded,” added the source.

Al-Baghdadi was seriously wounded in an airstrike near Shirkat in 2015 before recovering in Baaj, reports citing three intelligence agencies said.

Witnesses who saw al-Baghdadi in the wake of the Muslim festival of Ramadan last year said he “looked tired and drawn”, the Guardian reported.

Offline humbert

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24 PM »
ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has launched a scathing attack on the “arrogant” Trump presidency and urged followers to wage “jihad” across the West in his first audio speech in almost a year, according to the terror group’s media channel.

Everybody hates Trump except Trump himself and that ignorant band of followers who support him no matter what he does. As you know, personally I despise the man.

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2018, 10:30 PM »

Everybody hates Trump except Trump himself and that ignorant band of followers who support him no matter what he does. As you know, personally I despise the man.

Although he is hated more than anyone else, I believe that the true enemy of humanity & the American people,firstly, is Pence and the Military Industrial Complex thugs behind Trump's presidency.

Even if Trump was impeached or was forced to resign some how, the curse of hardline republican Zionists will not be over and we might see s*** really hit the fan!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:33 PM by aa1234779 »
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

Offline humbert

« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Although he is hated more than anyone else, I believe that the true enemy of humanity & the American people,firstly, is Pence and the Military Industrial Complex thugs behind Trump's presidency.

I agree. Sadly the Military Industrial-Political Complex has acquired too much power in this country. Eisenhauer warned of this during his farewell speech in 1961. Sadly Ike's predictions have come true.

Even if Trump was impeached or was forced to resign some how, the curse of hardline republican Zionists will not be over and we might see s*** really hit the fan!

I don't think it's that bad. This is not the first time extremists have been in power in this country. Eventually they get voted out of office.

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2018, 11:05 PM »
I don't think it's that bad. This is not the first time extremists have been in power in this country. Eventually they get voted out of office.

All I can tell you is that if he was removed from office by any means, it will not make things better. You'll see the puppeteers upfront doing things you thought were impossible even with the likes of the Bushes. It's the 'end game', unfortunately, and great losses are expected for everyone other than the %1, I'm speaking globally.

I hope I'm wrong in this, or that the free people of the US that truly believe in "Freedom & Justice for All" will prove me as a pessimist that under-valued their courage!

p.s. Till the day I die, I will not forget the things that my Neo-Con social studies teacher taught me as a kid. Other than his everyday Muslim-hate in class, he would always express how much he admired Eisenhower as a true patriot. The truth is, Ike was a politician like any other in his day. He knew there were red lines not to be crossed. But there was good within the bad. That's why it was in his farewell address he spoke of the dangers posed by arms traders taking over politics.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:16 PM by aa1234779 »
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

Offline scarface

« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Today, I’m going to hold a conference about the Hikikomori. Maybe you are one of them without your knowing it.

Aa1234779 or Vasudev must be wondering what a Hikikomori is. Is it a sumo who is on a diet? No. This word deserves an explanation.

"Hikikomori": cut off from the world, they can not get out of their room.

In France, there would be tens of thousands of teenagers and young adults who live a reclusive life in their room for several months or even years. This phenomenon, at the beginning of Japan, now affects several countries in the world.

Alexandre, 22, has not been out of his room for six years. Out of school, unemployed, he lives with his mother in a small village in central France and spends his days locked in, surfing the Internet, playing video games and reading. "I'm self-sufficient and never bored," he says. To eat, he heats meals in the microwave and shares them with his mother. But not always. "No day is alike," he continues. "I can get up at 2pm or 11pm. I am out of time.

Alexander presents himself as a "hikikomori". This term comes from Japan and  means "who stays inside and does not go out". The Japanese invented it in the 1990s to designate these teenagers and young adults who lived in social withdrawal, most often locked up at home, without contact with the outside world for months, even years. This phenomenon, which is linked to the school pressure and the harshness of the world of work, concerns several hundred thousand Japanese nowadays. A problem that the government takes very seriously especially since it must now deal with the aging of this reclusive population.

According to the Japanese Ministry of Health, a hikikomori is a young person who has retired to his home and is no longer part of society, without any mental pathology being identified as a root cause. In France, there is no specific word to designate them. We talk about "social withdrawal", "school dropout" or "social phobia". If this behavior is still little known to the general public, it raises many questions from researchers, more and more convinced that the hikikomori phenomenon affects many young people in France: why are they withdrawing in their room, dropping friends , studies and life projects? How are their families taking it?

Offline scarface

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Tonight, I'm suggesting these 2 interesting articles about climate change, the scholars of the forum, like humbert, usmangujjar and topdog will be certainly interested in reading them (pretty much everybody on the forum actually, and I can assure you that the graduates of HEC can't hold a candle to the users of the forum).

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/03/far-right-climate-change-deniers-debate-ukip-emp-report-eu

www.newsweek.com/earth-major-transformation-climate-change-global-warming-1101857

Offline scarface

« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Some of you have jobs (maybe a small minority?), some of you are still at school, and some of you are unemployed. But whatever your situation, maybe you will be exposed to the labour market one day.
That's why I'm going to talk about work. I hope that it won't make you depressed since it describes a harsh reality. But it gives a few solution too. You know, if I was billionnaire I would go to Saudi Arabia and Palestine to meet aa1234779 and Maher and I would give them money. And maybe, even without money we could probably start something. I don't know what though.

To get back to the book below, if I had to sum it up, I would say that the group takes precedence over the individual and that appearance is more important the real productivity. At least this is what I've seen during my previous experiences.
It’s not surprising: we live in a world where only a few workers are productive, thanks to machines usually. For example, a professional lorry driver can transport goods over long distances thanks to oil. And he replaces hundreds of people who would have to do this with ox carts. And many workers are pretty much "useless": the real productivity of an office worker is close to zero. Maybe it's useful in a tertiarized economy, but I don't think such organizations will survive the post-oil era, in a few years or decades.

"Modern management is an inefficient tyranny": extracts from a shocking book

Mantra of the "collective", heavy processes, obsession with transparency, endless meetings and fun seminars ... The economist Nicolas Bouzou and the philosopher Julia de Funès review all the evils of contemporary management. Here are a few extracts of this book.

They argue against the "happiness ideology" that would make happiness the condition of work when it should be the result of meaningful work. The authors suggest several ways to find a real management that stops "to scare the best" and gives back to courage and authority, cardinal virtues of true leadership.

● Endless business

At the heart of the problem, the company is seen by its shareholders and managers as a "technical organization" and not as a "finalized organization". Technique is at the service of technology and innovation at the service of change, without these transformations being part of an explicit project. This "unfinalization" has concrete consequences. Leadership disappears in favor of management and control. The result is an inflation of useless meetings, inefficient brainstorming, uninteresting PowerPoint presentations, all orchestrated by a management that destroys more value than it creates. Employees lose sight of the purpose and tangible result of their work. The most fragile suffer from occupational diseases, the now infamous burn-out, bore-out and brown-out. [...] In the end, employees are grappling with two contradictory injunctions: companies are demanding more and more work from their employees, but in fact the accumulation of processes and meetings prevents them from working; while employees need meaning and autonomy, they are urged to be happy at work.

● The absurd

To develop the inventiveness of its employees, a company organizes creative (or rather recreational!) Workshops. Thus, some employees of a large bank were locked in a room from 9 am to 6 pm to play Lego and play dough, as if they had returned ... to the nursery. [...] The activities imposed on employees during these seminars are often ridiculous: relaxation to evacuate stress, escalation to strengthen the solidarity of the group, raid quad or escape games to defend the competition and shoot down ... The ridiculous can even kill. In a seminar during the 2008 financial crisis, A 50-year-old man succumbed to a heart attack during a football match.
● Surveillance and transparency

On the most recent corporate campuses, office architecture meets this requirement of visibility. Everything is glazed to be transparent. Everything becomes visible and observable, we can no longer hide outside the toilet. The buildings are no longer made to be seen for the beauty of an architecture, but to better see, to make visible those who are there. Surveillance and transparency thus become economic operators. This disciplinary power that Foucault describes is paradoxical: on the one hand, it is absolutely indiscreet since it is everywhere leaving no shadow zone, and on the other, absolutely discrete since it is not held by anyone and works in silence. It makes visible by being invisible: the employees submit to it by obeying no one.

The heaviness of the enterprise is not simply administrative; it is also and above all normalizing. Employees are forced to converge their behavior and appearances, including clothing, because the norm is the sign of belonging to a homogeneous social body. The problem is that this standardizing sanction can stifle employees and reduce their ability to create, take initiatives, innovate and simply act.
● The trap of the "collective"

In many companies, the "collective" is a totem. This passion for the collective is one of the explanations for the inflation of meetings and sometimes seminars. Obviously, in the conscious or unconscious of the company, what is "collective" is good and what is "individual" individualistic therefore bad. This anti-individualist bias seems to us in many cases to be a false mythology.
Of course, we do not ignore the interest of interindividual exchanges and teamwork. It is obvious that nothing great is accomplished alone, that the effectiveness of a group can outweigh the effectiveness of one, that a victory is often won by many. Simply, the collective has become a categorical imperative, and nothing is less effective than the imposture that consists of placing the "collective" everywhere, even if it does not allow the employees to work independently. Companies overvalue the collective when they under-value an individual whose autonomy and singularity can worry.

● The dictatorship of the processes

This ideology of fear leads to the accumulation of processes, one of the greatest managerial mythologies of the present time. Medical process, administrative process, recruitment process, IT process, registration process, process to join any service (to get ... type 1, to get ... type 2), process to throw garbage (blue bin, yellow , green), we live under the dictatorship of the process.

All find a rational justification but all engender reflexes of automated behaviors, such as controlled serialization of human operations. This procedural invasion must be carefully separated from the law. The procedure is not legalism. Indeed, where the law contrasts between the license and the defendant, between the legal and the illegal, and establishes prohibitions, the process establishes behavioral norms. The law prohibits. The norm obliges.

Subject to these standards, employees incorporate in their behaviors ritualised gestures and automatisms that end up removing their critical ability and common sense. But the reification of humans is bad for business and for capitalism itself.

● Leveling through egalitarianism

Authority is defined as non-negotiable. It supposes on the part of the one who obeys the recognition of the legitimacy of the giver of orders. For authority to act, it must not only be imposed, but it is only strength, but it must be recognized and accepted. But to recognize and accept a superiority contradicts the current interpretation of the modern democratic value of the equality according to which everything is worth, everything is discussed, everything must tend to uniformity. In the democratic age, inequality is frustrating, diminishing and unworthy. This widespread feeling comes from confusion. Today, any consideration of difference is equated with inequality and inequality with injustice. Discrimination becomes the exclusive reading gear for human relations, even when equality is not to be sought, for example in the relationship between the teacher and the pupil. [...]

How to run a business in these conditions? Managers are often complicit in this conceptual confusion. They prefer the controls and processes to the assumed authority. But authority, true, legitimate, grows both parties.

● Happiness ideology

Behind the game, it is the promise of happiness that invades companies. In some societies, we even wear T-shirts called "Talk less, smile more". There are countless trainings and seminars that explain the positive impact of "happiness in business" on financial performance, or corporate conventions that force employees to dance with a more or less sincere joy on the Happyde Pharrell Williams , unintentionally becoming the regular singer of contemporary management. Happiness has become a factor of production that must be maximized to increase prices. Happy employee = profitable employee. This fashion of happiness in business has even resulted in the creation of a new profession, the Chief Happiness Officer (CHO). [...]

The reasoning behind making employees well-employed is the opposite of the happiness illusion: instead of making happiness a working condition, let us consider joy as a consequence. Let's make sure that employees find meaning and fulfill their work, they will feel so much happier. Work must be able to be a cause of joy. If it contributes to happiness, so much the better. On the other hand, to maintain that happiness is a condition for good work is an inefficient tyranny. Unfortunately, all too often, foosball, green plants and express meditation at noon take the place of the project, the work and the meaning.

Happiness or joy as a consequence of a successful job, yes; happiness or joy as a condition of performance, no. Happiness would then be a notion instrumentalized for an economic purpose, but happiness must imperatively be a private affair.

● What to do? Fewer meetings!

Develop teleworking

Telework has two advantages: it is acclaimed by employees and forces companies to establish trusting relationships between management and employees. On the one hand, we can not demand the mobility of workers and on the other, we can't curb the development of teleworking. Variation in teleworking: companies must accept the children of employees when, for example, their teacher is absent. Everyone understands that businesses are not nurseries. But why not offer employees a simple help for a real need?

Decrease by 50% time spent in meetings or brainstorming

Half of the meetings are useless and could be replaced by a more fluid communication within the company or, at worst, by telephone meetings. The other half of the meetings are, most of the time, organized in spite of common sense. So remember the good organizing principles of a meeting: the theme and the exit point are announced in advance; it brings together less than 10 people; it lasts for a maximum of 45 minutes; it takes place before the middle of the afternoon; it begins with individual 4-minute lectures; it ends with a decision and never with the planning of another meeting.

Replace unnecessary training with humanities

To avoid hollow words, insignificant slides and weak reasoning, let us replace useless or entertaining formations with courses in the humanities. Instead of modeling dough and creative hobbies, let's enrich the thinking, shake the words, teach the employees how to write correctly to sharpen the minds, make them more efficient, richer in vocabulary and therefore in precise ideas. Let's help them to gain height to adopt a systemic vision of the company, its environment, its problems. Employees will feel more fulfilled by the end of these courses, they will have acquired fundamental and sustainable skills. These cross-curricular skills will serve them well in their personal and professional lives and whatever role they will occupy later. Do not always favor so-called "business" training. Let's focus on the fundamentals: thought and language.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:01 PM by scarface »